Bad NIC or just my settings?

Boojak

n00b
Today, I have just purchased a Marvell Yukon Ethernet PCI-E card (model number is 88e8053) and a cat5e crossover cable.

Installed the card. Booted on and then installed the latest drivers from the Marvell website. Everything seems fine, installation-wise.

Before I can use the new NIC for my other networking needs, I first need to make sure that this NIC is working correctly.

So I turned off my main NIC. I unplugged the cable between my router and my Main NIC and plugged it to my new NIC and the router. Then turned on the new NIC via Windows 7.

Nope. No connectivity at all. =/ Windows 7 keeps saying "Unidentified network" or "Ethernet cable is unplugged". I tried using the diagnose tool and I get messages such as "Plug an ethernet cable into this computer", "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken" or "Conflict IP".

^ which is odd because the physical green-light led of the NIC is flicking. doesn't this show that there's nothing wrong with the card?

I tried doing things like:
different cables.
used the "ipconfig /renew" and "ipconfig /release" commands.

I pinged 127.0.0.1
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I'm not really sure what's wrong.

FYI, you don't use a crossover cable with Gb. It "auto flips" if it needs to do that.

I don't use the crossover cable for the internet directly ...

So, any actual solution would be more appreciated! thanks.

You sure you installed the correct drivers? I would try booting off some kind of linux live cd like Ubuntu live cd and see if it works with that.

You sure you installed the correct drivers? I would try booting off some kind of linux live cd like Ubuntu live cd and see if it works with that.

That's the first thing i usually do when testing hardware / windows new systems..

Dash.

Everything is all set for auto in IPv4, right? Just making sure since you are talking about doing a direct link in the future.

Yeah, I'm sure that I have installed the correct drivers. Or did I?

The DVD that came with the card is labelled as "Marvell Miniport Driver" and this version is pretty old, which was updated by last year. I know this "Miniport" title is kinda misleading but it has one of these choices that allows me to install the actual NIC drivers.

The same "Marvell Miniport Driver" drivers based on the same model (88e8053) on the website, however, is newer and updated sometime in this year. So I used the website route.

Oh, I have forgotten to mention something: If I uninstall the drivers and reboot my PC, I will get the same error messages "Cable not plugged", "Unidentified Network", etc as before (the time when the drivers were installed).

Just to make sure, I uninstalled the drivers from the website and installed the one from the DVD that came with the card. Nope, no changes.

And sorry, I never had any experience with Linux...

Back