Bad motherboard - Computer restarting on it's own.

hdgamer

Gawd
Sorry if this is not the proper place to post this, didn't know of any other forum given the circumstances...

I was having issues with my motherboard sata ports dropping hdd's a while back. Posted a thread a while ago. What was going on (I have an Asus P6T Lga 1366) the sata connectors to the motherboard don't allow you to push the sata cables all the way in till they click. They would just freely push in pull out without grabbing the metal end and squeezing. Anyway I have the cables in there nice and snug and motherboard is no longer dropping hdd's which sprung up a new issue.

My computer is now freezing up and restarting with no bsod's. I have ran all the hardware tests... Prime95, intelburn, memtest86, kombuster for the gpu's, and hdtune benchmarking and checking for bad sectors. All these pass. And weird thing is that my computer doesn't restart when I leave it on when running hardware tests or idle. Only times it restarts is when I'm doing anything on it like surfing internet, playing a game, watching a movie, etc. I've monitored all temps and cpu doesn't get above 60C, gpu's are in the low 80's, motherboard 45-65C, hdd's 30-40C... Very good temps for max loads.

So was wondering if this is something that's still related between the motherboard and harddrives? Powersupply? Software? I don't have a lot of money but was eyeing a new motherboard.

\current hardware:

Asus P6T LGA 1366
Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6 ht off 1.20Volts
Memory 6gigs OCZ 1600 Ram
Poersupply Enermax 1000watts Galaxy
GPU 2XGTX480's
HDD's 80gig Intel SSD V2, Three Western Digital 1500gig Green, and 1 300gig Velociraptor
Case Silverstone Fortress2

Well currently in safe mode right now... Gonna see if this thing crashes. If I can go the entire day then it's gotta be software related then I'll just reformat. If not it's down to either the motherboard or powersupply. When the computer crashes though it makes that loud noise as if it were bsod'ing then restarts. But I never see the bluescreen. This leads me to believe it can't be the powersupply otherwise it would just restart.

Well computer has been running fine in safe mode. Been surfing the internet the past couple hours without a crash or restart.... Looks like a reformat is needed. This sux too as I haven't reformatted in a couple years. :(

My issue with the sata ports dropping my main hdd must have corrupted something in windows or a bad driver... At least the fix is gonna be cheap.... :D

What a coincidence: I'm having those exact issues albeit with a different setup and a different cause (mine stemmed from a bad stick of memory that must've caused some corruption).

Glad to hear that things wound up being less serious than previously expected. :)

Back