Bad Juju :( Black screen on boot UPDATE: Now TWO Giagbyte Boards

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
UPDATE 11/132022: Same thing with my new Giagabyte B550 ITX. It lasted about a month. WTF?

Original Thread:

Win 11 Pro
MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus pro Wifi ITX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: GSkill x2 8GB each
Everything should be in my sig.

Problem:
No video on boot. Fans running 100%. Seems like it is booting into BIOS and hung there.

Trouble Shooting
  1. Used a different monitor with HDMI instead of DP
  2. Used a different graphics card (Using HDMI instead of DP) Both cards have PSU connectors also.
  3. Reset BIOS (BIOS did reset because I could tell by the LED lighting going to default.)

So, for the first time in forever, I'm stumped on this one. It's like the PCI slot for the graphics adapter is gone. I mean, the only thing I can think of is getting a MB speaker and trying that for codes. However, the manual doesn't list any trouble code beep alerts. After taking the RAM out and trying each one separately, where I am at is just start buying parts. My first inclination is to replace the MB.

Last edited:
was it working before? youre connecting to the gpu not on board port right? double checked the pcie cables are correct(not cpu power) and seated good? when you did the cmos, did you yank the battery for a while?
since its a single slot and another gpu doesnt help, you have two options; new mobo, or an apu chip to test with.

Try a different video card if you have one. The PC immediately going to full fan speed on power up most likely means that it's not getting past POST at all.

If swapping the video card and memory doesn't do anything, you very well may have a dead motherboard. Could be something as simple as a corrupt BIOS, or complex like a blown mosfet.

Uhg. Worst kind of problem. I'd also start by trying an old GPU.

Does the behavior change without the RAM or the CPU pulled?

Guys please reread my trouble shooting. I've already tried another card and different video cables, plus HDMI/DP.

was it working before? youre connecting to the gpu not on board port right? double checked the pcie cables are correct(not cpu power) and seated good? when you did the cmos, did you yank the battery for a while?
since its a single slot and another gpu doesnt help, you have two options; new mobo, or an apu chip to test with.
It's been running for 2 years with no problems. Last night it was fine, then I go to boot this morning and black screen and fans at 100% plus LED combo that only comes on while posting. Since I can't see it, I'm assuming by the fans and lighting that it has posted to the BIOS, and won't boot to Windows. You can't take the battery out out this thing without removing the VRM heatsink (a big MFer for that Gigabyte).

This was a competed system running now for over 2 years with current CPU and RAM.

If you remove the CPU and the RAM entirely, just disconnect them, and the motherboard freaks out and throws a bunch noise at you, or lights, then you know the motherboard might be OK, and that you need to focus on the CPU or RAM. Since you've already tried individual RAM sticks, that will help you figure out if it is the CPU or the motherboard.

Beep codes are really helpful. Do you have an old case with a speaker? The codes aren't entirely universal, but they are easy to look up, even if they're not in the manual.

It's been running for 2 years with no problems. Last night it was fine, then I go to boot this morning and black screen and fans at 100% plus LED combo that only comes on while posting. Since I can't see it, I'm assuming by the fans and lighting that it has posted to the BIOS, and won't boot to Windows. You can't take the battery out out this thing without removing the VRM heatsink (a big MFer for that Gigabyte).
k.
maybe, maybe not. try and scrounge up a speaker, see if it beeps at all. if not, yank the ram and listen for the no ram beeps. some noise will at least let you know that the mobo is ok, or at least trying to post.
got another psu you can hook up outside the case to test with?

k.
maybe, maybe not. try and scrounge up a speaker, see if it beeps at all. if not, yank the ram and listen for the no ram beeps. some noise will at least let you know that the mobo is ok, or at least trying to post.
got another psu you can hook up outside the case to test with?
I just gave my other PSU away, but it was old and I didn't want it messing with me anyway. I figured they are only 80 bucks, sooooo. But now! Argh. The manual list any code beeps at all, but it does have a port for a speaker. It looks like 4 pin header but I haven't looked at it closely. The lights on the video card come on along with its fans, so it's getting power.

I found the beep codes buried under one of Gigabytes obscure web pages. I ordered a speaker, and will be here Wednesday. I can't find my original B450 Aorus Pro for sale on Amazon or on the Gigabyte website. i think they discontinued it. I can get a B550 ITX, but I'll have to investigate it first. I don't need a 550, but it is what it is. Can't believe this shit.

Just posting an update:

Problem: No video output, no beep codes.

Trouble Shooting: All hardware fans and lights come on.
1. Two different monitors (both good)
2. Two different video cards (both good)
3. Changed Video cables
4. Swapped RAM into different slots
5. Installed beep code speaker (no beep codes)
6. Removed MB and Water Block and Changed BIOS battery, Reinstalled.

Requested RMA for Gigabyte. Even though I am 400 miles from their service center, two weeks minimum including shipping.

I just bought my current B450 board's B550 upgrade:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf

I guess we'll see tomorrow if it's the MB after all.

Just posting an update:

Problem: No video output, no beep codes.

Trouble Shooting: All hardware fans and lights come on.
1. Two different monitors (both good)
2. Two different video cards (both good)
3. Changed Video cables
4. Swapped RAM into different slots
5. Installed beep code speaker (no beep codes)
6. Removed MB and Water Block and Changed BIOS battery, Reinstalled.

Requested RMA for Gigabyte. Even though I am 400 miles from their service center, two weeks minimum including shipping.

I just bought my current B450 board's B550 upgrade:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf

I guess we'll see tomorrow if it's the MB after all.
It posted. Hopefully Gigabyte won't have any B450s in stock and will send me a B550, uh, just like I bought :(

I'll start another thread for this, if I decide it's really that, but this new Gigabyte ITX B550 is so much more heavy and brick like it's not even compatible to the old B550. This thing is a tank.

Just an update to help others. Gigabyte sent the board back saying after 'extensive' testing, the board was not defective. I tested it again and it did the same thing: no video output. Since this was the 3rd time, they paid for shipping (after 50+ dollars to ship it twice since I've had it). I sent it back on their dime with a short note in it saying IT DOES NOT WORK! I received an email today that they would do a refund.

Either they knew damn good and well the board was defective, or they just didn't test it and round tripped it.

So I paid out 182.00 (MB and shipping to RMA twice) plus time on a 134.00 MB, including tax. Also, Gigabyte issued a check, but said they don't refund tax. I got 119.00 back, for a net loss of 63 bucks. Now, that's a GREAT warranty.

The way it should work is that if you ship a defective item back on your dime, and it's actually defective, they should pay shipping. Otherwise, shipping can render warranties useless due to shipping costs. Anyway, it is what the fuck ever it is.

Last edited:
Bit late to this thread, but no beep code usually means dead cpu. Did you try a different cpu?

If not, the replacement board might do the exact same thing.

Bit late to this thread, but no beep code usually means dead cpu. Did you try a different cpu?

If not, the replacement board might do the exact same thing.
You need to read the thread. I already replaced the MB with the new Gigabyte B550 version. Posted immediately with no video problems. After the old board came back, I installed the CPU and again, no video.

Back