Bad iPod problem...

So suddenly my iPod is constantly booting itself and when the apple logo finishes loading it shows a folder with an exlamation point. Plugging in the iPod to a computer (PC/Mac) does nothing but charge the battery so it can keep rebooting. Is my ipod fried? What can I do to fix this? I've tried booting it myself but again, it keeps rebooting afterwards.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

:(

compslckr said:
sounds like a dead/dying hard drive :(

I've got a gen3, and i bought it from a friend of mine. I also use the HDD a lot to transfer files. Think it's still under warranty?

thanks for the help.

Cowcaster88

[H]ard|Gawd
Jeriko_Cherry said:
I've got a gen3, and i bought it from a friend of mine. I also use the HDD a lot to transfer files. Think it's still under warranty?

thanks for the help.
:( ewwwwwwwwww......

The 5th gen just came out a month ago....

mastephens

Limp Gawd
I had the same problem with my 4th gen photo. Can you hear the hard drive come on and off quickly when the logo appears? If you can the reader arm in the hard drive is stuck. Just tap it lightly and it might loosen it. When it happened to me I tapped lightly and it was fine.

Tried tapping it, still no go.

it be dead.

Seems that way. I filled out Apples RMA but they want $284 to repair it!!! I can buy a 5th gen for that price.. grrr. I really liked my ipod now it's a slightly attractive paper weight.

Disco_Stu_04

Limp Gawd
You can purchase ipod parts off ebay for real cheap ~$50 for a major part. I fixed my 3rd gen with a similar problem. It turns out the HD was fine but the "motherboard" had died.

Just go online and find instructions on how to open the Ipod and swap out the bad part. It's easier than you think.

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
i bought my 3rd gen 20gb for $30 with a bad battery. For $10 for a new battery and 15 minutes of my time i had a fully working ipod for $40. i love people who don't try to fix their own stuff

mastephens

Limp Gawd
If you tapped it lightly and it did not work, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. This is an old trick to pop a hard drive back to life. Give a real sturdy TAP before you do that though just in case the arm is still stuck.

bahula03

Gawd
with it plugged into the computer, reset it and then as soon as the apple logo appears, hold down the outer 2 buttons, which will put it in disk mode. Try using ipod udpater to restore it while it's in this state.

vanquished

Limp Gawd
that picture with the folder and exclamation mark is the equivilant of the BSOD, only it's irriversible. The Hard disk is gone

bahula03

Gawd
you are incorrect sir. Although it is likely that an ipod showing the folder will no longer function, it is not guaranteed. If they had an ipod with a sad face, it would be a different story.

MrE

2[H]4U
Real simple. When the unit reboots, press and hold the center select button and the play/pause button at the same time until the unit goes into "disk mode". Once it is in disk mode, attach it to your desktop and try to run the iPod updater utility to reflash the firmware on your unit. Be warned, you will lose the contents of your drive when you restore the unit.

If after that you still get the exclamation folder after the update, then you are indeed hosed.

-E

Jeriko_Cherry said:
I filled out Apples RMA but they want $284 to repair it!!! I can buy a 5th gen for that price.. grrr. I really liked my ipod now it's a slightly attractive paper weight.

Yeah I know how it goes. I the 10gb 3g in this real thick plastic case and took it with me skateboarding via belt clip. Next thing I know it's on the ground, but the funny thing was I wasn't skating when it fell; just standing there. It kept playing songs off of the flash chip but eventually stopped.

when they said the repair price I said "I'll just take a new one"

bahula03

Gawd
bahula03 said:
with it plugged into the computer, reset it and then as soon as the apple logo appears, hold down the outer 2 buttons, which will put it in disk mode. Try using ipod udpater to restore it while it's in this state.

MrE said:
Real simple. When the unit reboots, press and hold the center select button and the play/pause button at the same time until the unit goes into "disk mode". Once it is in disk mode, attach it to your desktop and try to run the iPod updater utility to reflash the firmware on your unit. Be warned, you will lose the contents of your drive when you restore the unit.

If after that you still get the exclamation folder after the update, then you are indeed hosed.

-E

;) .

lozaning

2[H]4U
i love you all of you, no really im not joking.
sorry to thread jack/crap but my ipod was having the same problem, it would reset and then give the folder, or the sad ipod, i smacked a couple of times on my mouse pad, and low and behold it works again. as much as i kinda dislike macs, you people rock

Rocketpig

[H]ard|Gawd
lozaning said:
i love you all of you, no really im not joking.
sorry to thread jack/crap but my ipod was having the same problem, it would reset and then give the folder, or the sad ipod, i smacked a couple of times on my mouse pad, and low and behold it works again. as much as i kinda dislike macs, you people rock

Honestly, what reason would you have to dislike Macs?

They're expensive, yes. They also have no spyware, no viruses, and are generally very stable machines.

Not to mention that they're just a friggin' box full of silicon, which is hardly worth disliking in the first place. It's just a machine.