Bad HTTP?

CrazyMrB

Gawd
I recently built a new system that has had inexplicable network problems. Often firefox (1.5.05?) won't load websites while IE will load just fine. Other times it is reversed. My aim randomly disconnects and reconnects. There is no problem with my cable connection (3.0 mbps running through a linksys wireless b router connected to my computer via cat5). The whole time that I'm having these web problems, limewire can be running (downloading/uploading) and report a decent connection. Usually a reboot is required to solve the issue. Is there a way (or program) to solve my little problem, because it's terribly inconvenient when I need to do some real work. I run the included nvidia firewall (came with mobo). Should that be disabled?

B

Specs:

P D 805
1 GB PC667
ECS C19-A
ATI x800 xl pci-e
160 GB SATAII WD
80 GB PATA WD
16x BenQ DVDRW
SB Audigy
Win XP Pro

take out the router and try just the modem.

turn off limewire and try - limewire sucks up resources for bandwidth like mad.

run stock speeds on everything

flash new bios for mobo if exists.

what firewall software or anti V you using ?

It isn't a router problem, because all the other computers in the house (connected by both cat5 and 802.11) have solid connections. I have tried other ports on the router. Everything is running at or below stock (I underclocked my memory just to be absolutely certain). The firewall software version is:
Code:
Build Version: 4.65

Description: ActiveArmor
Path: D:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvtcp.sys
Component Version: 50.09

Description: Networking driver
Path: D:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Description: Network Access Manager
Path: D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\

I'm also running AVG Free 7.

I'll check on a new bios, but I hope it doesn't come to that since I've had a bad experience back in the early days of flash bios'. I just did a repair on my setup of XP Pro and neither NTLDR nor NTDETECT.COM were loaded. So far, the http is working fine, but would the absence of either of these files be hazardous to my mental health?

Thanks
B

I'm posting this from a laptop on my system, not my main box. Currently my main computer is running limewire and downloading at ~120k/s. I cannot access the internet or the router via http; however, IE tries to pull info from website IPs and displays that info. I can completely exit limewire and nothing changes. Usually a reboot fixes the problem, but what is going on? Are my network settings hosing themselves over time? I'm getting no error messages (except cannot find page). Is there any way to manually install all network files in order to repair this problem?

EDIT: I can disable both firewalls and antivirus and nothing changes.

Thanks,
B

turn off limewire, stop using it completely, reboot, don't use limewire, and see if the problem comes back.

Fryguy8 said:
turn off limewire, stop using it completely, reboot, don't use limewire, and see if the problem comes back.

Limewire is gone, problem remains.

B

Back