Bad graphics on a brand new Intel i5-7500

Ryland

2[H]4U
Im in the process of building a gaming computer for my son and the onboard graphics get corrupted. I have tried the cpu on two different motherboards, both with the latest bios' and they both showed the same corruption. It has to be the CPU at this point right?

Symptoms:
  • Memtest screen ends up with the same characters repeated over and over yet doesnt show any errors (that I can tell)
  • Graphics driver reset on the 2nd motherbaord after installing the intel driver.
  • Graphics memory causing a BSOD on the first motherboard after installing the intel driver.

You're building a gaming computer and using the onboard graphics?

What? I don't think we speak the same language. ;)

You're building a gaming computer and using the onboard graphics?

What? I don't think we speak the same language. ;)

Only temporarily. I wanted to confirm the parts as I added them thus I was starting with ssd, memory, cpu only. Once I had the memory verified (its actually passed 3+ passes) then I installed the OS. Once I had that verified I was going to move his video card over.

Since the iGPU uses system RAM, have you tried using different memory?

The memory has passed multiple passes of memtest so I think its good but no, I havent tried different memory because I dont have any other DDR4 ram.

I guess I could pull one stick of memory and try it then the other stick if the first one fails.

I just tested the computer with each stick individually and the graphics reacted the same to both sticks so Im going to continue under the assumption it is the cpu.

Huh.. interesting. I've never tried to use integrated APU or whatever it is called on these. Makes me curious.

One nifty side affect of this is that for the same price that I paid for the i5-7500 I can now get him an i5-7600k.

Only temporarily. I wanted to confirm the parts as I added them thus I was starting with ssd, memory, cpu only. Once I had the memory verified (its actually passed 3+ passes) then I installed the OS. Once I had that verified I was going to move his video card over.

I'm sorry, but just 3 passes? I've had memory that has passed memtest continuously for 10 hours and failed after 10 hours and 30 min. 3 passes doesn't always tell you the memory is good, it only tells you the momeory is fine to use is light tasks like Web browsing. I personally run memtest for 24 hours before I can call is good.

I'm sorry, but just 3 passes? I've had memory that has passed memtest continuously for 10 hours and failed after 10 hours and 30 min. 3 passes doesn't always tell you the memory is good, it only tells you the momeory is fine to use is light tasks like Web browsing. I personally run memtest for 24 hours before I can call is good.
I guess I have been lucky then because memory very rarely fails on me. I also havent done anything more strenous with this computer than install windows or run memtest and memtest wasnt showing memory corruption even when the screen was corrupted.

Same here, i've had memory make 2-4 passes fine and utterly fail on an overnight test.

Just throwing this out there...

What PSU are you running? Sounds to me like it could be an issue with voltage supplied to the chip, or a flakey PSU.
Maybe try a known good PSU or bump up the voltage on proc in the BIOS / UEFI.

Anyways this is my recommendation.

Im using a brand new Corsair CX600. I cant retest until the new CPU comes in but if that shows the same flaky behavior then I will pull the PSU and try another one I have on hand. I guess I should have thought of the PSU as being a potential culprit but hadn't since the problem seems fairly restricted to the video.

Quick update. I received the replacement 7600k and its onboard graphics were fine. I now have the computer fully built and windows updating. I did move over his old 7970 for now until he is able to afford something faster but it should be enough for the moment.

Cool if this trade I'm trying to do for my 970 maybe you would want that for him for a good deal. ;)

Back