Bad Day for Facebook: Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Messenger all Down amid Whistleblower News

I was very careful to verify the factual accuracy of my post. Please notify me at once of any omissions on the list, and I'll edit the post.
Judging by the factual information you have provided, you will never receive any notifications for omissions on the list you have provided :)

244465590_4937531726260187_8180663272000504373_n.jpg

Assuming this is accurate. LOL

Smokescreen to draw more attention to the "whistleblower?" Sure that's what Facebook needs, MOAR censorship!
If you think about it though, a forum, like this one, is only a hop skip and a jump away from a social media site like Facebook.

I mean, a forum is better structured for writing more in depth posts, and it is more highly focused on a narrow subset of topics, but while there is a lot of feeling superior in here and looking down on Facebook, in the grand scheme of things it fills many of the same purposes, communicating, sharing information, bragging with pictures, arguing with strangers, etc. etc.

Are we really that much better? I don't think it is a stretch to call a forum a form of social media for those who don't like the limitations of mainstream social media.
It is. But for the most part this forum is
A. less censored
B. allows opposing viewpoints
C. does not artificially suppress posts from being seen or promote things it thinks you will like. You see everything and they're ordered chronologically.
D. fewer pictures of people's pets
E. semi-anonymous. You don't have to worry about an awkward Thanksgiving from telling relatives to post less photos of their pets.

Pet:

Attachments

• pet.jpg
    pet.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It is. But for the most part this forum is
A. less censored
I sincerly doubt this forum is less censored, at least the public parts where cheapasses like me can see. We've got allowed topics and disallowed topics, if you stray off the path, topics get locked and I think repeat offenders get banned. That's censorship and it's a good thing for an orderly forum. From what I've seen, moderators are fairly consistent, and while I'm sure they don't read all the posts everywhere, they can see a lot of them and there's pretty consistent enforcement and generally correct (I don't recall noticing any moderation decisions I'd disagree with). FB on the other hand has too much content to manually review everything, and resorts to automation that gets things wrong a lot and outsourced teams that also get a lot of things wrong; if I could run FB, I'd eliminate the promotion of things that you didn't subscribe to, and then if you see something you don't like, you can report it I guess, but unsubscribe or yell at your friend to stop posting dumb things so you don't have to see it.

I sincerly doubt this forum is less censored, at least the public parts where cheapasses like me can see. We've got allowed topics and disallowed topics, if you stray off the path, topics get locked and I think repeat offenders get banned. That's censorship and it's a good thing for an orderly forum. From what I've seen, moderators are fairly consistent, and while I'm sure they don't read all the posts everywhere, they can see a lot of them and there's pretty consistent enforcement and generally correct (I don't recall noticing any moderation decisions I'd disagree with). FB on the other hand has too much content to manually review everything, and resorts to automation that gets things wrong a lot and outsourced teams that also get a lot of things wrong; if I could run FB, I'd eliminate the promotion of things that you didn't subscribe to, and then if you see something you don't like, you can report it I guess, but unsubscribe or yell at your friend to stop posting dumb things so you don't have to see it.

Buy a subscription and get behind the paywall! It's the same behind it, all discussions are welcome, just follow the rules and you're fine, no matter which side of the fence you're on.

Actually, the reason forums work is because they are moderated. And the mods are not just some random people in a 3rd world country, they are usually the creators of the forum or trusted respected members.
The reason decent forums work is because the forums have set rules to be followed and the rules are enforced as stated. Faceplant and other social media sites have nebulous guidelines which are followed or not followed at the whim of the people running it. They will change, stretch and flat out break any and all "rules" to enforce specific ideologies. That's one of the big reasons they are a cancer.

If you think about it though, a forum, like this one, is only a hop skip and a jump away from a social media site like Facebook.

I mean, a forum is better structured for writing more in depth posts, and it is more highly focused on a narrow subset of topics, but while there is a lot of feeling superior in here and looking down on Facebook, in the grand scheme of things it fills many of the same purposes, communicating, sharing information, bragging with pictures, arguing with strangers, etc. etc.

Are we really that much better? I don't think it is a stretch to call a forum a form of social media for those who don't like the limitations of mainstream social media.
That's a big negative. That's like saying a dating website is almost the same thing as a prostitution ring.

Back