Bad Day for Facebook: Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Messenger all Down amid Whistleblower News

If they are compromised, they might of withdrawn the routes and shut down any outside access. My gut feeling says this is the case and they purposely did it for reasons yet unknown but probably pretty obvious (tin foil hat on). I am not buying Core network failures at this point at how long this has been going on. The Facebook network and infrastructure is HUGE and you are telling me they can't recover within 5 hours? They have sites all over the globe, they wouldn't just withdraw routes completely from there ASN completely if there wasn't a good reason. If someone was trying to take over there IP's and broadcast them from a different ASN, you would see that activity. This is a complete withdrawal of routes and no further activity it seems.

On the subject of HID passes. If they 100% relied on HID passes...that's on them and I am pretty sure facility code wont let you. As much money as they are loosing...someone would of busted down a door by now to get in. You always have a small subset of people with keys, etc in the case of power failures, etc.
Sounds like a good corollary to the other news we have confirmed right now. 1.5 billion users is huge. That is one-fifth the population of the planet. As much as I dislike Facebook and the cancer to the world it is, this story has my attention and I'm eager to find out more as it could have wider ramifications with how big a network FB is, as you say.

whoever did this is a hero nothing lost...not all heroes wear capes!

I wouldn't go that far...yet. If they are compromised, this is going to get ugly (and by no means am I defending Facebook). Lawmakers will target the wrong initiatives for there own political gain and Facebook will be dragged down until they can't take no more...for right and wrong. While this is a incident many years in the works, this is much more of an issue on the grand scale of things. The internet is a scary place these days and hacks are becoming more common. For example, if anyone is in the VoIP side of things (where I reside and specialize in)....there has been consistent DDOS attacks on providers for 3 weeks now causing large scale disruptions. Beginning of year, Ransomware was all the rage. What's next....and there will be next...and a another next after that? Ultimately ALL the people that can make a difference/influence needs to recognize this behavior and figure out how to hold all of this accountable. Any who this is a SoapBox inducing post and I tried to be as simple/vague as possible. Lets just hope someone restarted the Linksys Router :)

Jack Dorsey commented on the outage. love the troll but twitter isn't much better
https://twitter.com/jack/status/1445079948432117778

1633380319108.png

If they are compromised, they might of withdrawn the routes and shut down any outside access. My gut feeling says this is the case and they purposely did it for reasons yet unknown but probably pretty obvious (tin foil hat on). I am not buying Core network failures at this point at how long this has been going on. The Facebook network and infrastructure is HUGE and you are telling me they can't recover within 5 hours? They have sites all over the globe, they wouldn't just withdraw routes completely from there ASN completely if there wasn't a good reason. If someone was trying to take over there IP's and broadcast them from a different ASN, you would see that activity. This is a complete withdrawal of routes and no further activity it seems.

On the subject of HID passes. If they 100% relied on HID passes...that's on them and I am pretty sure facility code wont let you. As much money as they are loosing...someone would of busted down a door by now to get in. You always have a small subset of people with keys, etc in the case of power failures, etc.
I am hoping for a coordinated government raid, but it is far more likely that their recent leak is far worse than even the hackers are letting on.

Lol, you can't delete your account if you can't log in.

When they bring it back up everyone will be too happy to login to remember they were going to delete.

The Facebook network and infrastructure is HUGE and you are telling me they can't recover within 5 hours? They have sites all over the globe, they wouldn't just withdraw routes completely from there ASN completely if there wasn't a good reason. If someone was trying to take over there IP's and broadcast them from a different ASN, you would see that activity. This is a complete withdrawal of routes and no further activity it seems.

I don't think it's a complete withdrawal of routes. Although I didn't look at it earlier in the day, at least some of the /24's have routes. For example 157.240.7.0/24 has routes (and some IPs work a bit) and the looking glass I used says that route is 13 days old, but 66.111.48.0/22 doesn't. That second one has all of the WhatsApp authoritative DNS servers, so no DNS for WhatsApp. FWIW, I worked at WhatsApp until August 2019. I haven't heard anything other than what was posted on Reddit and then deleted; tldr: somebody pushed a bad BGP update, the people who have access don't know how to roll back, and the people who know how to roll back don't have access; although that was several hours ago, I'd have expected something to get resolved by now, but FB automation really likes to break things, so 🤷‍♂️

I am hoping for a coordinated government raid, but it is far more likely that their recent leak is far worse than even the hackers are letting on.
I would expect every news site covering a government raid hahaha and specific people flying in jets/helicopters to cover it in person. As awesome as that would be, I dont see that on the news.

I would expect every news site covering a government raid hahaha and specific people flying in jets/helicopters to cover it in person. As awesome as that would be, I dont see that on the news.
Also I don’t trust the government’s ability to organize a bottle drive let alone a secret multi site international raid.

Those of you hoping Facebook and its owned services stay down aren't thinking things through. The splash damage would be enormous. Many businesses are tightly integrated into these platforms, and some small business owners are utterly dependent on them. It's fine to argue that is a bad thing, but you cannot just suddenly pull the plug. My guess is millions of dollars are being lost every minute Facebook and its services are down, and I'm not talking about Facebook's money.

Those of you hoping Facebook and its owned services stay down aren't thinking things through. The splash damage would be enormous. Many businesses are tightly integrated into these platforms, and some small business owners are utterly dependent on them. It's fine to argue that is a bad thing, but you cannot just suddenly pull the plug. My guess is millions of dollars are being lost every minute Facebook and its services are down, and I'm not talking about Facebook's money.
Yeah lots of restaurants here post their various daily specials up on the FB platforms to draw customers and various small businesses use it for all sorts of announcements.

I first realized it was still down when I popped off the wifi to check the lunch specials in the area only to see it was still down. It’s blocked on the corporate network so when I left home for work I figured it was one of those quick “somebody fucked up a DNS config again”, situations.

Lots of small businesses rely on Facebook for promotion and outreach purposes, but I feel like that could rather easily and quickly be shifted to another platform.

Still, there would be real economic impacts if Facebook imploded.

Does this mean people will complain to the GOVERMENT instead of on FaceBook ?
OMG those poor government officials.

I hope so

Senator McLinux said if we can keep it down for a week, we can totally eliminate our national debt with the vast increase in GDP.... (drat, not going to happen)

Lots of small businesses rely on Facebook for promotion and outreach purposes, but I feel like that could rather easily and quickly be shifted to another platform.

Still, there would be real economic impacts if Facebook imploded.
That is their problem. I have not used Facebook for any business at all. If you centralize your business operations and marketing to a central point of failure then you deserve what happens. The ripple in the economy would be well worth it in the long run.

If facebook fell apart and was just gone, someone else would just fill that vacuum with a similar platform with similar problems. People would have to just move away from it as a whole, not just have it go away.

Hmmm, is that all the stuff I was hearing about earlier? I have none of those services so, I would not have even known it was happpening.

I have always wondered if the Tablets that Moses gave to Man was not made of stone but , One was made of Apple and the other was Blackberry and taking together makes cells foam (cells phone) and Face Book is giving life so the New Man kind can tell on Himself about all His affairs without even being ask , the Cloud

Reactions: Youn
like this
I have always wondered if the Tablets that Moses gave to Man was not made of stone but , One was made of Apple and the other was Blackberry and taking together makes cells foam (cells phone) and Face Book is giving life so the New Man kind can tell on Himself about all His affairs without even being ask , the Cloud
lol what?

What ever it was you smoked please stop…. That shit is just ruining your life.

It's amazing how quickly people forget the many great contributions of Facebook to society such as
It's easy to blame <fill in the blank> instead of our own stupidity. Being a Boomer I use all this new fangled stuff in a very different way than most probably do, so I kind of like it. Still, it frustrates me that something is improved just to get people hyped up about it. Used to be new and improved laundry detergent was the only concern. Now it can be many wasted hours trying to figure out how to get something to work like it used to.

Back