Bad Corsair 620HX experience - Never going to buy a Corsair psu again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
Man, this is weird, I thought I had diagnosed a buzzing issue as a motherboard problem, but it turns out it was the corsair psu all along :eek: -

Running a xfx 5870, Q9550 at 3.6ghz, and a gigabyte micro atx board s series board. I fully gave this corsair psu a chance. I even believed it to be the motherboard first because I pretty much trust in Corsair just from what people say about them. When I switched back to the old trusty BFG 800w, almost 2 year old psu...guess what...loud buzzing sound is gone and the system runs silky. The 620hx is a pretty small unit, while my bfg 800 watt psu is a bigger unit. Maybe my BFG PSU is just of better quallity in that regard. What I have learned is:

- BFG PSUs are of better quality.
- Bigger is better
- Corsair PSUs aren't as good as people make them out to be, and are probably just hyped up
- Corsair H50 cooler on the other hand is great :D
- Don't buy Corsair PSUs because you think they are of higher quality, because they aren't.

Lesson learned. Tough to explain how a 2 year old BFG 800 watt psu is of better quality than a new 620hx psu....but hey, maybe they don't make power supplies like they use to. ;)

Needless to say, the corsair power supply is going back.

Silverstone recently came out with capacitors in the PCI-E leads to reduce whine in the new modular Strider Series.

Um, welcome to 2008? Corsair doesn't make the PSUs, CWT and Seasonic do. If you wanna blame someone blame Seasonic. The CWT units do not whine (hence why I have a TX750). Obviously, ditto on the newer CWT units in the Corsair lineup.

Man, this is weird, I thought I had diagnosed a buzzing issue as a motherboard problem, but it turns out it was the corsair psu all along :eek: -

Running a xfx 5870, Q9550 at 3.6ghz, and a gigabyte micro atx board s series board. I fully gave this corsair psu a chance. I even believed it to be the motherboard first because I pretty much trust in Corsair just from what people say about them. When I switched back to the old trusty BFG 800w, almost 2 year old psu...guess what...loud buzzing sound is gone and the system runs silky. The 620hx is a pretty small unit, while my bfg 800 watt psu is a bigger unit. Maybe my BFG PSU is just of better quallity in that regard.
The buzzing has nothing to do with the quality of the PSU. It is a side effect of certain interactions between different components, and although it is annoying, it is also not at all harmful. And there's just as much chance that the buzzing is not caused by the PSU, because even if it happens only with that PSU in your system, the actual source of the problem is just as likely the motherboard or the video card.

By the way, my EVGA GTX260 buzzes under load. Does that mean that EVGA video cards are bad? No.
No.
- Bigger is better
No.
- Corsair PSUs aren't as good as people make them out to be, and are probably just hyped up
They are as good as people make them out to be.
- Don't buy Corsair PSUs because you think they are of higher quality, because they aren't.
They are.
Silverstone recently came out with capacitors in the PCI-E leads to reduce whine in the new modular Strider Series.
That's not what the capacitors are there for.

Running a xfx 5870, Q9550 at 3.6ghz, and a gigabyte micro atx board s series board. I fully gave this corsair psu a chance. I even believed it to be the motherboard first because I pretty much trust in Corsair just from what people say about them. When I switched back to the old trusty BFG 800w, almost 2 year old psu...guess what...loud buzzing sound is gone and the system runs silky. The 620hx is a pretty small unit, while my bfg 800 watt psu is a bigger unit. Maybe my BFG PSU is just of better quallity in that regard. What I have learned is:

- Bigger is better
- Corsair H50 cooler on the other hand is great :D

Lesson learned. Tough to explain how a 2 year old BFG 800 watt psu is of better quality than a new 620hx psu....but hey, maybe they don't make power supplies like they use to. ;)

Needless to say, the corsair power supply is going back.

These are horrible generalizations to make about Corsair PSUs. Your PSU buzzes. Maybe it is a faulty unit, maybe it is something else, but you cannot make a statement that all Corsair units are better than BFG units. It makes no sense and to be honest is a pretty dumb thing to say. Corsair PSUs are very solid units. Thousands of people use them and are happy, but there are always outliers.

So you got ONE, let me repeat ONE unit that might be faulty and are trashing the entire brand on that ONE unit?

Way to go. I have a 620HX and it is one of the best PSUs I have ever used. I also have others from Corsair that work wonderfully. Super reliable, quiet, cool, and stable.

I suppose it's possible, but I have a feeling that's more marketing speak than anything else. The real advantage of having those capacitors is to improve ripple suppression.

Could be but the description also said ripple suppression. I just wonder if it works.

LOL! Lesson learned from one power supply.

I have had a defective Seasonic X750, a Corsair HX650 with a ticking fan, a perfect HX650, and now a perfect HX850.

Yes, your one man case study seals the deal!

I'm sorry PS3, but you're just wrong on all counts.

I call troll.

I'm sorry PS3, but you're just wrong on all counts.

I call troll.

i agree...corsair makes great PSU and 620HX is no exception. the majority of the reviews on newegg are very positive.

i agree...corsair makes great PSU and 620HX is no exception. the majority of the reviews on newegg are very positive.

Newegg reviews should not be used as a reference and should be taken with a large grain of salt. Nevertheless, Corsair makes great PSUs as is confirmed by reputable reviews found on [H]ardOCP and JonnyGuru.

I've had one 620HX running for a good 3 years, and another on my wife's computer for about 2 years, both are still working flawlessly.

It's a great PSU, you just got a bad egg.

not to mention that the big thing here is that corsair takes care of you if there is a problem, they don't screw around, i got back a brand new 620hx when their tech even just "suspected" the psu "MIGHT" be the problem. They just told me there is no way to be sure and that they would swap it to see if the issue goes away. It was that simple.

BFG is similar, however i had a psu of theirs with a lifetime warranty that went bad, and it was replaced with a 3 or 5 year (can't remember, i think 3 year) warranty version. While its a better psu, I still lost the lifetime warranty.

Ordered a 650HX yesterday. There's no other option.

Seasonic is pretty good too.

I've got a 520HX I've had for 2+ years and it's still going strong when other brand names have come and gone.

The HX520 hasn't been around for 5 years, let alone more.

Yeah, I just checked and the purchase date is 2007, I thought I'd had it longer since it's in the system I use with my Samsung 955DF, which has been running since 2003.

Why don't you just STFU and RMA it before wasting your time and life on this beautiful New Years eve?

Please stop taking, just finish dude. wHERE MY CELLHPOEN AT

I dont get it...you got a bad PSU, sucks, get over it.

Ive been running the HX620 for 3 years. It is overbuilt. Acts like a 750w with the better caps that Corsair tossed in, over the vanilla Seasonic. Even after the switch to CWT, Corsair PSU's are way overbuilt. You get more than you pay for.

Last edited:
Meh, why are you guys getting riled up about this guy's attitude about the corsair PSU? Every now and then we always get ignorant buggers who have no idea WTF they're talking about trashing a good product here or there... Best way is to just mark him as a guy who either received a faulty corsair PSU (yes, it happens) or an idiot that doesn't listen to common sense.

Nothing new to see, fellas. Move on, please.

The buzzing has nothing to do with the quality of the PSU. It is a side effect of certain interactions between different components, and although it is annoying, it is also not at all harmful. And there's just as much chance that the buzzing is not caused by the PSU, because even if it happens only with that PSU in your system, the actual source of the problem is just as likely the motherboard or the video card.

By the way, my EVGA GTX260 buzzes under load. Does that mean that EVGA video cards are bad? No.

No.

No.

They are as good as people make them out to be.

They are.

That's not what the capacitors are there for.

It was the corsair 620hx psu buzzing. I isolated all the components. As I said, I gave corsair the benefit of the doubt and thought the buzzing was coming near the cpu area where the chokes/caps are...but after putting the old trusty 2 yr. old BFGR800WPSULE no more noise. The BFG is made by topower so maybe that's why it's good.

And yes, the bigger the psu can translate into better. The BFG PSU I have simply has more/better components than the Corsair 620hx which allows it to operate quietly at higher loads.

I've had one 620HX running for a good 3 years, and another on my wife's computer for about 2 years, both are still working flawlessly.

It's a great PSU, you just got a bad egg.

Sigh. I'm actually stressing this PSU. If you are an enthusiast you may want to steer clear from this psu, that's all I am saying.

not to mention that the big thing here is that corsair takes care of you if there is a problem, they don't screw around, i got back a brand new 620hx when their tech even just "suspected" the psu "MIGHT" be the problem. They just told me there is no way to be sure and that they would swap it to see if the issue goes away. It was that simple.

BFG is similar, however i had a psu of theirs with a lifetime warranty that went bad, and it was replaced with a 3 or 5 year (can't remember, i think 3 year) warranty version. While its a better psu, I still lost the lifetime warranty.

Not going to RMA something when I can just return it and use my old psu. I really just got the corsair because it was modular and would save a little space...and I heard good things about them. I would of kept it if it wasn't buzzing so dang loud. I've read about other peopel having the same buzzing issues with the corsair psu.

You know the expression-"going off half cocked" ? Well first you post a thread how you fixed the problem by using nail polish on your MOBO and now you are posting a thread about how Corsiar PSUs are low quality and over-hyped because THEY caused the whine.

Bad Corsair 620HX experience? Never going to buy a Corsair psu again? You have used up your drama quota for the week now.

Ive been running the HX620 for 3 years. It is overbuilt. Acts like a 750w with the better caps that Corsair tossed in, over the vanilla Seasonic. Even after the switch to CWT, Corsair PSU's are way overbuilt. You get more than you pay for.

Right. I paid $80 for the BFG800WPSULE which is silent at full load, yet the 620hx at load in mw2 of all games creates loud electrical buzzing. In this case, I didn't get what I paid for. The BFG PSU was noted for it's quality in PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process - this is probably why it's significantly quieter and makes no electrical buzzing noise which the corsair psu emits at load.

Yes, take this review as a grain of salt, but I have seen other threads which complain about corsair psus making loud buzzing sounds. I believe the corsair psu is simply an inferior product.

Exactly right. The HX620 is way overbuilt & very reliable. It's been running my systems for 3+ years (see sig) without a hicup. I do plan on replacing my HX620 & you can be sure my new psu will be a Corsair.

I purchased 3 of the TX650 a year ago when newegg had them on sale for $99 a piece w/ free shipping. All 3 of the power supplies had low voltage on the 5v line didn't matter what computer I tried them in. Needless to say that none of them are working now. Had the first one go out about 2 mo of use. Set up RMA to send it in, and before I even sent it in, another one died. Now you can try to say it it my electricity, but I still had 2 other comps with enermax power supplies in them that had no problems. And one of those comps are on 24/7 cause it file server for the house plus the only computer hooked to the internet. I ended up putting in 2 old liberty 500w in my daughters computers. And as for my daughter's computers, what i had purchased the power supplies for, specs are Biostar TA790GX128, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4G OCZ Ram, WD 320AAKS harddrive, Sony dvd+/-RW drives, and HIS 4850 video card. So no way they should of been drawing too much power from the power supplies. So yes I have to agree, I feel people hype them up way too much. They are cheap costing power supplies for a reason. So the old adage holds true, you get what you pay for.

I purchased 3 of the TX650 a year ago when newegg had them on sale for $99 a piece w/ free shipping. All 3 of the power supplies had low voltage on the 5v line didn't matter what computer I tried them in. Needless to say that none of them are working now. Had the first one go out about 2 mo of use. Set up RMA to send it in, and before I even sent it in, another one died. Now you can try to say it it my electricity, but I still had 2 other comps with enermax power supplies in them that had no problems. And one of those comps are on 24/7 cause it file server for the house plus the only computer hooked to the internet. I ended up putting in 2 old liberty 500w in my daughters computers. And as for my daughter's computers, what i had purchased the power supplies for, specs are Biostar TA790GX128, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4G OCZ Ram, WD 320AAKS harddrive, Sony dvd+/-RW drives, and HIS 4850 video card. So no way they should of been drawing too much power from the power supplies. So yes I have to agree, I feel people hype them up way too much. They are cheap costing power supplies for a reason. So the old adage holds true, you get what you pay for.

The TX is their lower line. Corsair PSUs in the HX line are not cheap at all....

You know the expression-"going off half cocked" ? Well first you post a thread how you fixed the problem by using nail polish on your MOBO and now you are posting a thread about how Corsiar PSUs are low quality and over-hyped because THEY caused the whine.

Bad Corsair 620HX experience? Never going to buy a Corsair psu again? You have used up your drama quota for the week now.

See my sig for more goodness :p.

All I can think is this OP is a troll here.

Using my 620HX since 11/2008.. zero problems. Outstanding PSU that I purchased on the strength of this review.

I have an EVGA 260GTX GPU in that same system that used to whine horribly but has gotten progressively quieter with use and now you can't even hear it. (well. it still whines a pinch on resolutions lower than 1680x1050 but even that has significantly improved.) I only mention it because I suspected the PSU at first. I was wrong.

It was the corsair 620hx psu buzzing. I isolated all the components. As I said, I gave corsair the benefit of the doubt and thought the buzzing was coming near the cpu area where the chokes/caps are...but after putting the old trusty 2 yr. old BFGR800WPSULE no more noise. The BFG is made by topower so maybe that's why it's good.

And yes, the bigger the psu can translate into better. The BFG PSU I have simply has more/better components than the Corsair 620hx which allows it to operate quietly at higher loads.
Just because the PSU was buzzing doesn't mean the PSU was causing the buzzing. In any case, like I explained already, it's just a noise; the actual power being delivered by the PSU is fine. But you could always RMA it and get a replacement that doesn't have the same problem.

And perhaps you should learn a bit about PSUs before you spew nonsense about how "bigger is better". The fact is that you weren't even putting a 50% load on the Corsair, and because of your low power usage, you're actually decreasing the performance of your BFG unit by underloading it.
Sigh. I'm actually stressing this PSU. If you are an enthusiast you may want to steer clear from this psu, that's all I am saying.
A 5870 consumes about 110W of power under gaming load and about 160W of power while running Furmark. Your CPU uses maybe 120W at full load. You are not stressing the PSU very much. To give you an example of stressing a PSU, until recently I was running an overclocked E2140, overclocked 65nm GTX260, and two overclocked 9600GSOs off an HX520. And the PSU handled it without flinching.
The BFG PSU was noted for it's quality in PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process - this is probably why it's significantly quieter and makes no electrical buzzing noise which the corsair psu emits at load.
Noted by whom? Your BFG PSU is an average Topower unit. Not bad, but not particularly great either. The build quality of the HX620 is superior.
I believe the corsair psu is simply an inferior product.
Well, you are quite simply wrong.

Also, I'm sure that if you had brought your issue to the attention of Corsair rather than posting this thread like an asshole, their excellent customer service would have taken care of your problem promptly. But instead of dealing with the problem, you chose to complain about it instead. Sadly, this is a trait which I have seen far too often lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back