Bad Company 2

Damn, think I'm gonna try for it :p Go PC gaming!

Looks pretty solid from what I hear + reviews, I hated 2142.

you get a message saying punkbuster kicked you and to go to its stupid website and do some kind of auto update.

well that isn't happening to me. It just goes to desktop and says you've been kicked from game.

really regretting purchasing the pc copy now. Beta ran fine, but this is a nightmare. Not sure if it is the servers or a problem on my end. I just deleted my entire steam folder and starting over from scratch.

I can't believe how terrible the server browser STILL is.

I know.. atleast its a bit better than beta.. :( I don't care about how it looks! Just give me a normal server browser ala, quake3/valve type games and we're good to go!

Not for me. Preordered through Steam and no unlocks as of yet

If this hasn't been answered yet.. you go to your multiplayer tab and click on redeem code. From there, shift+tab and look for your redemption code and put it in.

BFBC2Game2010-03-0300-20-34-35.jpg
BFBC2Game2010-03-0300-19-09-35.jpg

BFBC2Game2010-03-0300-16-21-58.jpg

Can someone explain how the spawn delays work? Is it in every game type or what? I really wanna stop playing MW2 and this game looks so damn good.

Can someone explain how the spawn delays work? Is it in every game type or what? I really wanna stop playing MW2 and this game looks so damn good.

Spawn delays depend on server and mode I think? There are no instant spawns AFAIK.

I preordered/loaded through Steam and whenever I go to start the game (this is from inside the Steam Games panel) a little popup says:

The game needs access to the internet in order to verify ownership of this game. Please ensure that your computer is online and try again.

My connection works and I've tried disabling my firewall, making my PC the DMZ, forwarding the requisite ports, disabling and uninstalling my anti-virus, etc. But every time that little popup comes up. It won't even start the game.

EDIT: This is running on Win7 x64, all drivers are current and all other games work perfectly.

Ok, played about hour and a half MP tonight. Here are some initial thoughts.

Environments

Wow, these maps are big. I haven't played a BF game since 1942, but after all this TF2 I forgot how damn big everything is. Sometimes it really gives you this "oh shit" feeling when you see an enemy. Everything looks very very nice in the game. I'm running 1920x1200 2xAA 2xAF medium settings HBAO on VSync off with rig in my sig, and it runs very very smooth in MP. I don't know if I can jack it higher, I just set it and started playing. The textures look very nice, the shadows do as well. One thing that really stood out to me was glare I was getting off some light colored objects, very neat.

Game Play

Oh ya, people are good at these games. I'm pretty bad right now. I haven't played a realistic shooter for a long time. Averaging .33 K/D, but it's all good, I'll get better. People tend to stick together, this is really facilitated by the spawn choices. When you die, you have to wait 3-10sec to spawn. This is not a big deal at all, as you have the choice of spawning at any base your team controls, or with any member of your squad (4 to a squad). By the time I look at the map and figure out where I want to go, spawn time is already up.

Controls

All very smooth and intuitive. I had to move a couple things around, but overall very nice. No problems with mouse sensitivity for me, even with HBAO on. I set it at .75 and it is great. The one thing I am still getting used to is not being able to run and strafe. It makes sense that you can't, but it's awkward for the time being. Toggle aim and hold to crouch is something I like, because that's how it is in TF2. If you don't like that, you will have to get used to it!

MP

Teamwork is great. Vehicles are fun to do together, with the exception of being on the back of an ATV, which makes me want to puke. Taking the bases and defending them is really quite fun. Didn't hear anyone on voice chat, although I imagine that could change.

Audio

BOOM! Great audio. Love the commentary in the multi-player, although I wish the Russians just spoke with an accent instead of jabbering on in Russian the whole match. The splosions are great and the details are better. You really hear the bullets whizzing by.

Parting thoughts

If you haven't played a shooter like this in a while (I'm sure I'm a minority) expect a steep learning curve in MP. That being said, I think it's worth it as the game-play is very fun and immersive. Makes me wish I had eyefinity.

MP

Teamwork is great. Vehicles are fun to do together, with the exception of being on the back of an ATV, which makes me want to puke. Taking the bases and defending them is really quite fun. Didn't hear anyone on voice chat, although I imagine that could change.

I heard 2 guys using voice chat today, sounded decent, was a bit quiet, couldnt hear anything when big firefights or elxplosions were goign off near you. Close to TF2's voice quality, then again it could of been their mics.

Regardless I was able to make out everything they were saying 100%, very clear.

Apparently disabling hbao is supposed to give a performance boost, especially for ati cards? I'll try it myself once Steam finishes loading...

Apparently disabling hbao is supposed to give a performance boost, especially for ati cards? I'll try it myself once Steam finishes loading...

AO in general is pretty demanding. Personally I play with it off in eyefinity.. kind of need it when I'm running 5760x1080, that's the first thing to go. In BC2 it won't make a noticeable difference in IQ.

Right now this game can suck a dick. Between not being able to join a server, CTD's in menu or at the end of rounds, and the general shitty server performance when you do join a game (teleporting, choppy, etc.) I am regretting getting this game day 1. Maybe in a couple months things will smooth out but given DICE's track record with previous BF patch time I could be waiting awhile.

What was the month of beta testing for? Publicity?

Every time I try to join a game I get "You have been kicked from the server." Any advice? Also, running bfbc2game.exe as admin still has no ping showing :(.

Right now this game can suck a dick. Between not being able to join a server, CTD's in menu or at the end of rounds, and the general shitty server performance when you do join a game (teleporting, choppy, etc.) I am regretting getting this game day 1. Maybe in a couple months things will smooth out but given DICE's track record with previous BF patch time I could be waiting awhile.

What was the month of beta testing for? Publicity?

I've had nothing but smooth and lag-free gameplay without any crashes for the past 3 hours.

I've had nothing but smooth and lag-free gameplay without any crashes for the past 3 hours.

i bought this game 4 hours ago and have yet to connect to a single server.

edit-using both the server browser and game finder.

that's messed up

I played it since ... 6 oclock straight

it's 2:34AM

I have a feeling my wife's gonna divorce me soon :eek:

I been playing a few hours off and on. Some server connection issues but once I get in, I stay in.

I'm trying to play the single player, and really having problems. The screen keeps flashing solid white for a second during game play, then it will go solid white and just lock up and crash. Last time it happened I was spinning around in a circle uncontrollably for a moment, then it went white. Not really sure what to do to fix this (if anything), but I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

So far i am actually enjoying the single player. It seems this year is a good year for single player shooters.

So far i am actually enjoying the single player. It seems this year is a good year for single player shooters.

Yeah, I couldn't get into the multi due to the above mentioned issue I'm having, but I played about 30minutes of the singleplayer (the intro segments) and really enjoyed it. My 5870 then crashed the computer as I had the fan set to manual and it was running too hot :(.

I just installed from Steam, started up and got into about 3 games in a row without issues. :confused:

I just installed from Steam, started up and got into about 3 games in a row without issues. :confused:

hm...installed from dvd. game doesn't autorun, and after i activated the game online, it simply quit and didn't ask me if i wanted to play the game, create shorcuts, or anything. i had to go in through program files.

after not being able to connect to a single server tonight, i'm trying to reinstall now.

Wow, they released this game wayyyy early... I think I'm going to have to wait for some patches before I can even play it.

try a simple reboot..it fixxed alot of my connection issues. played for 5 hours straight after that reboot..

after reinstalling, the same series of issues occurred, but after activation i tried reinserting the dvd to see if autorun would come up. sure enough, the popup appeared and started updating my game. that was the problem the entire time i guess, because loads of games started popping up.

seems pretty cool so far, but definitely got some aspects of bf2 that i didn't like. why can't all in game browsers allow filtering by server location, ping limits, etc?

The Beta had a executable in the BC2 directory to update the game manually.

I guess the retail has the same. Although, here in the UK it's not out till Friday so I can't check

I'm trying to play the single player, and really having problems. The screen keeps flashing solid white for a second during game play, then it will go solid white and just lock up and crash. Last time it happened I was spinning around in a circle uncontrollably for a moment, then it went white. Not really sure what to do to fix this (if anything), but I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

Okay, fixed it. I'll post the solution in case anyone else has this problem. The spinning in a circle uncontrollably at random points was fixed by unplugging my USB joystick. Apparently the throttle control or something was registering as a movement control. I'd like to be able to keep it connected for use with aircraft and such, but no dice.

The white flashing on the screen and the solid white screen lockups was fixed by updating my ATI drivers.

ANYWAY, problems and quirks aside, really enjoying this one. :)

Too many people not using "spot" key at all and lots of lone wolf crap instead of sticking with squad to grab a flag for conquest

Okay, fixed it. I'll post the solution in case anyone else has this problem. The spinning in a circle uncontrollably at random points was fixed by unplugging my USB joystick. Apparently the throttle control or something was registering as a movement control. I'd like to be able to keep it connected for use with aircraft and such, but no dice.

The white flashing on the screen and the solid white screen lockups was fixed by updating my ATI drivers.

ANYWAY, problems and quirks aside, really enjoying this one. :)

I think it has joystick controls configured for while you're on foot by default. I'll bet you could clear those out and have the best of both worlds!

For those that can't connect at all

Did you get a client update?
The first time I ran it the updater ran and did a big download. It can be run manually, too.
Maybe you can't see any servers because you're trying to look for an obsolete game version?

I wish you luck, it's great fun for those of us it works for!

This might be the best FPS i've played in a long time. The game is absolutely awesome. MP is insane. Anyone on the fence should pick this up.

How the hell do you play the game already? for me steam store says that "This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 13 hours" \:

in North America, the game is already out. Maybe not in other parts of the world. I know it's coming out on friday in the UK, so..

also, is there any way to disable or reduce head-bob ? it's way out of control and gives me a headache after playing for a few minutes.

the online is tons of fun, except I'm really disappointed that only 1 out of the 5 conquest map has choppers, and it's just the assault choppers, no blackhawks.

Back