Bad Company 2

I haven't played in around a month. Time to jump back in the game!

As broken as everyone says it is, it's still extremely fun. I could play White Pass only servers and be entertained just on that one map (actually, I like that map so much I mostly play just that :D).

I prefer the AK-74u to the ump. With the AK you don't need a scope and you can choose the perk that lets you hold more rockets. Plus I get way more SMG kills with the AK, pretty sure it does more damage.

Not to take away from skill? 3.0 K/D is kinda meaningless when most of it is SMG's and noob tube kills... I'm sure if I just went engie and started blasting the crap out of everything i could easily start flying up the K/D ratio. But I prefer not to fight like a puss like all the people we complain about.

And the game definately has issues hitting, I have put 5+ garand shots into someones chest at point blank, and saw the little X each time, only to have him kill me with 2 SMG shots and still have 80% health. It's fucking stupid sometimes, but I think it has more to do with the crappy lag compensation. Same thing with getting hit while being around a building. Even though I have <100ms ping and so does he, I will still get hit for much more than a second after rounding a corner. Heck I have had it where I'm already at the half way point of the wall I ran around only to finally die by the guy on the other side of the building.

Actually K/D is one way to gauge skill in the game; however, it's best to look at K/D combined with SPM, weapon ACC, class, etc as the bigger picture to get an idea of "skill". Another important factor to look at is the type of match a person plays most (conquest, rush, squad xxxx). In defense of Not Sober, he has above average stats -- but he also plays RUSH and primarily in a squad (which definitely helps net better scores)

I kind of wish this game had a 1v1 type of feature/map -- I'd like to get some motivation to come back to the game. (and it'd settle player skill disputes) So far I've only come across one guy "zeroburrito" who I'd say was as good if not possibly better than me

The in-game stats bars for weapons are generally horribly inaccurate. (You'll find there is a lot about this game that isn't accurate... )

The Ump does more damage than the AK, the ump is also a more mobile weapon, better for running and gunning than the AK. The AK fires a little faster and has 5 more shots to each mag.

Use this for weapon stats:
http://denkirson.xanga.com/722757523/bad-company-2/

Not to take away from skill? 3.0 K/D is kinda meaningless when most of it is SMG's and noob tube kills... I'm sure if I just went engie and started blasting the crap out of everything i could easily start flying up the K/D ratio. But I prefer not to fight like a puss like all the people we complain about
Haha, I would like to see you try. Believe I have and it isn't as easy as he makes it look.

I'm confused. Some people say the game is broken and others say it's not. Who's right and who isn't?

There are bugs, it's not perfect, but for the most part is plays well. The exception is crappy, laggy servers, which there are plenty.
Yea people like to blame the game for shit that can easily be caused by the servers.

Nothing was taken personally. I merely found the flaw in your logic and corrected it. Then gave you a link to some information which might help you not make that mistake again. The link is far from useless. Apparently you and many other people around here would benefit from taking 45 seconds to read it.
Wow, that was a perfect answer for a situation like this. I tip my hat to you. It was good reading and it reinforced my intial interpretation of a straw-man argument.

I prefer the AK-74u to the ump. With the AK you don't need a scope and you can choose the perk that lets you hold more rockets. Plus I get way more SMG kills with the AK, pretty sure it does more damage.

I like the AK better because of the rate of fire with the combined stopping power. The person really doesn't know you're shooting at them until they're half dead.
Platinumed that weapon easy.

I think not, you're just new to BF games. In older games you'd heal yourself with the medpack out and it's faster to deploy if you're dedicated to knifing. They're also using the lightweight perk, which makes them move faster.

I see people like this from time to time (including the knife king, timsad) and can kill him just fine.

As far as hit reg goes, yes it can be dodgy, but for the most part it's fine. Slugs/bolt rifles seem to amplify the issue since they're one shot better hope there's no reg problem weapons.

For the most part, http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/not%20sober I can kill people just fine. There's certainly some issues with the game, but for the most part, it plays very well.

The bugs that bother me the most are the fact that the game STILL doesn't count kills correctly (just plain doesn't count them), C4 is buggy as shit and the knife doesn't like to kill multiple people quickly in a row, which is frustrating.

All in all, great game.

Yep, I'm new to Battlefield games. I haven't used the lightweight perk since I got the red dot for each weapon, forgot about that. Those guys are shifty though, when I see one I have to put a lot of distance between me and them.
The are issues still. Some matches it take much longer to kill someone because the hit reg problem. Then other matches people think I'm cheating. Everyone gets a turn to be Superman in certain matches/rounds.
My K/D will never be that high. I'm always rushing the base trying to capture the mcom/flag. While everyone is sitting back sniping or scared to die, I'm taking all the bullets for them. I get rewarded with Ace pins so it's an even trade.

Last edited:
Wow, that was a perfect answer for a situation like this. I tip my hat to you. It was good reading and it reinforced my intial interpretation of a straw-man argument.

Thanks! Glad you like it. The straw man's argument is used alot here. I don't think its done on purpose but it sure makes having a decent debate with someone frustrating. Most people dont know the laws of logic. I dont claim to be an expert at all of them. Most of them however are just plain common sense.

Punkbuster Heartbeats.

9VWLl.jpg

I've been getting this error ever since they released the very first patch, way back when it came out. I can join a game, play for about 10 minutes, and then I get kicked with this message. This happens on all PB Servers, and if I restart my computer, it won't happen again for 12-24 hours. In reality, I've been working around it by just restarting my computer every day before I want to play, but it's sometimes a pain in the ass. Any ideas how to fix this?

Haven't played this game in a long time. Has there been many changes? What's the best gun right now to use for assault?

Punkbuster Heartbeats.

I've been getting this error ever since they released the very first patch, way back when it came out. I can join a game, play for about 10 minutes, and then I get kicked with this message. This happens on all PB Servers, and if I restart my computer, it won't happen again for 12-24 hours. In reality, I've been working around it by just restarting my computer every day before I want to play, but it's sometimes a pain in the ass. Any ideas how to fix this?

Check your firewall isn't blocking anything, take a look around to see which ports need to be forwarded, make sure you don't have anything like Peerblock running in the background and blocking it, and download the PB updates from the evenbalance site.

Punkbuster Heartbeats.

I had the same problem. I had to reformat the OS. I tried multiple uninstall/reinstall of every aspect of Punkbuster/BC2 with no luck. I tried everything I read on the internet about it, no luck.Once I redid the OS(Win7) the game stopped screwing up.

your move may vary of course

So last night I was playing on a server and I got head shotted TWICE by the 870 shotgun from across the map by two different people on the same clan. I smell something fishy.

So last night I was playing on a server and I got head shotted TWICE by the 870 shotgun from across the map by two different people on the same clan. I smell something fishy.

I've gotten sniped out of driving a max altitude heli with the 870. There is definite BS going on somewhere.

There is nothing fishy about it, it's just how pump shotguns are when combined with slugs and magnum ammo. I got platinum on all of them, and they are really lethal. You're able to shoot people out of their choppers, get them from across the map, you name it. Sometimes when the attackers are just sniping on Port Valdez and the game is really slow i used to sit under the hill taking guys out while they're parachuting in. Cheap i know, but fun :D. Try it sometimes, you'll be amazed when you see what are they capable of.

Davey, have you tried manually updating punkbuster with the client on their site? Seems to fix a lot of the PB connectivity issues people have, though it's not a full proof fix.

There is nothing fishy about it, it's just how pump shotguns are when combined with slugs and magnum ammo. I got platinum on all of them, and they are really lethal. You're able to shoot people out of their choppers, get them from across the map, you name it. Sometimes when the attackers are just sniping on Port Valdez and the game is really slow i used to sit under the hill taking guys out while they're parachuting in. Cheap i know, but fun :D. Try it sometimes, you'll be amazed when you see what are they capable of.

Getting lucky once with a headshot from a shotgun across the map is one thing. But it happened twice in the span of 2 minutes. And both guys were on the same clan. I've never had it happen to me before last night that I can recall.

I still remain skeptical. However the only shotty i ever used was the Siaga, guess ill have to give the others a shot (pun intended).

Yes it seems fishy but the 870 is crazy with magnum and slugs, almost too good to be true and it is.

There is always a possibility that somebody is hacking, but like i said before, Neostad/870/Spas family are just like snipers, they can kill you with one shot from far, far, away. Just try them and you'll see what i'm talking about, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here using them.

There is always a possibility that somebody is hacking, but like i said before, Neostad/870/Spas family are just like snipers, they can kill you with one shot from far, far, away. Just try them and you'll see what i'm talking about, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here using them.

Wow - this sounds crazy (and completely unrealistic...). I gotta try that out!

I am glad to hear that other people are talking about the hit detection issues. Lately, in some games, I am thinking : "what the hell does it take to kill that guy?". I swear, I am pummeling them with bullets, but it has no effect. It only happens once in a while, but it's quite frustrating. I thought it was just me!:eek:

What's funny is that the slug + ns/spas/870 combo was even more accurate before the latest patch. Try it for yourself and it'll dissolve most of your doubts. Unless you're hopelessly inaccurate and can't compensate for the slower firing rate. :p

Looks like i gotta try out these shot guns, gf is gonna be pissed im gonna spend another night with BC2. haha.

BC2>gf!

I had the punkbuster heartbeat issue last week. I fixed it by running the pbsetup off of evenbalances site. After picking BC2, running the updates, and rebooting the PC my problems went away. I had tried the manual method off of evenbalance's site, but it did not work.

That 870 with slugs/magnum is the best sniper in the game. It's a fucking rail gun, you put the crosshair and their head and shoot. I use it constantly and to be honest it's pretty fucked up what you can do with that shotgun.

Getting lucky once with a headshot from a shotgun across the map is one thing. But it happened twice in the span of 2 minutes. And both guys were on the same clan. I've never had it happen to me before last night that I can recall.

I still remain skeptical. However the only shotty i ever used was the Siaga, guess ill have to give the others a shot (pun intended).
It's really not that hard. Try it yourself.

The cross-hairs for the 870 leave a little bit of play when you're zoomed in, but the slug almost always goes right in the middle. If someone is holding still and you can see them clearly you can shoot them.

Sometimes seems a mite suspicious though.
At ranges where you can not discern anything but a spec with the non-magnified sight, how do you pull the headshot off?
In all truthfulness, might be just that one in a million shot.
Took a pot shot with the M14 once on a target marker-no actual person visible, just someone across the map had spotted this guy, couple seconds later, headshot.
Bout fell out of my chair in shock on that one.
Another annoyance I have is the players who purposefully turn their settings to the minimum so that alot of concealment disappears.
Not strictly a cheat, but it is a form of glitching.

Sometimes seems a mite suspicious though.
At ranges where you can not discern anything but a spec with the non-magnified sight, how do you pull the headshot off?
In all truthfulness, might be just that one in a million shot.

Maybe not one in a million, but pretty much. I was at the back of the defender's third stage on Valparaiso, saw a shot come from the lighthouse and "q"'d the second-highest window I could see, got lucky and that's where he was. Sighted in with the 870, BLAM, headshot. There's some level of randomness at that range, the crosshairs don't come together and if you can't fill the entire gap with the person's head then there's a chance you won't get a headshot. At that range, I'm not sure if the entire window even filled the gap, so there was definitely some luck involved.

Took a pot shot with the M14 once on a target marker-no actual person visible, just someone across the map had spotted this guy, couple seconds later, headshot.
Bout fell out of my chair in shock on that one.
Another annoyance I have is the players who purposefully turn their settings to the minimum so that alot of concealment disappears.
Not strictly a cheat, but it is a form of glitching.

I've gotten similar kills, I hit a guy with a 40mm dead-on who was standing on the top of the lighthouse in Valparaiso(got there from a helicopter bail-out) while I was in the third stage area, I probably couldn't do that again if I tried. As for the detail settings, most of the time it's more of a detriment than anything else. When the objects are close enough, if anything on low-detail they obscure your view *more* than on high detail. When they're far away and you're zoomed in sometimes they just disappear completely, which you might *think* is great, but it just ends up being confusing and potentially giving your position away if you don't know that they're actually behind an object you can't shoot through. Regardless, I have little choice but to play on low detail settings, the game becomes incredibly difficult to play at 10fps during firefights on full servers otherwise.

no bullet drop with the slugs?

I don't think so. At first I thought there might be, but I think it's just a matter of the uncertainty at range. I haven't done any real tests to determine if there is, but my experience with shooting a couple of people at exceedingly long ranges suggest that there isn't.

I'm not sure myself about the bullet drop. When i'm shooting at people parachuting in, against the blue background i can clearly see that there is a bullet drop and i need to adjust, but when i shoot horizontally, that thing seems to be going straight across the whole map.

I once shot the pilot out of a helicopter from a huge distance away with slugs, it wasn't expected at all and my jaw dropped.

Some people use the small dot with the mortar to sight the slugged shotguns at range. It's more accurate than using the crosshair.

I don't mind the slug shotgun combo, but it's not reliable enough for my taste. Some servers just won't allow you to play with it, and you'll spend the whole time having to readjust the lead distance because of all the differences in connections. Not a big deal with 30 rounds in semi/full auto, but with four slugs and a long rechamber time, it can get you killed a lot.

I'd rather they just made it so the shotguns worked well without slug ammo. They are gash for CQC, unless you select the USAS or Saiga, and even then you can unload four or five shells into someone at an arm's reach and still have them kill you with 50% health left.

Shotguns do not become entirely useless at ranges greater than five metres.

Some people use the small dot with the mortar to sight the slugged shotguns at range. It's more accurate than using the crosshair.

I don't mind the slug shotgun combo, but it's not reliable enough for my taste. Some servers just won't allow you to play with it, and you'll spend the whole time having to readjust the lead distance because of all the differences in connections. Not a big deal with 30 rounds in semi/full auto, but with four slugs and a long rechamber time, it can get you killed a lot.

I'd rather they just made it so the shotguns worked well without slug ammo. They are gash for CQC, unless you select the USAS or Saiga, and even then you can unload four or five shells into someone at an arm's reach and still have them kill you with 50% health left.

Shotguns do not become entirely useless at ranges greater than five metres.

Agreed, the shotguns are nothing like my beloved Clark 15B in 2142. That was the perfect shotgun...albeit existing in a fantasy based setting.

Shameless plug for a video my buddy made a while back with some great shotgun/slug action. Hur hur hur. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6lm-51gfs

Agreed, the shotguns are nothing like my beloved Clark 15B in 2142. That was the perfect shotgun...albeit existing in a fantasy based setting.

Shameless plug for a video my buddy made a while back with some great shotgun/slug action. Hur hur hur. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6lm-51gfs

Awesome video, and right @ 1:56 is why what I was talking about when it comes to knifing and why I gave it up.

Back