Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a pre-order at Bestbuy for the PS3 version.
Had them price match a deal Dell.ca is having. More info on deal here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499098

I already have the pre-order on steam, however most my friends have crappy PC's so they are mostly getting it on PS3.

Having played both, I can say the PC gives the best visuals and controls, thus is is definitely the way to go, if you have a nice PC.
However i find playing with friends is a lot more fun :)

Would have been nice if stats from console and pc could be combined under one user account.

Won't make a difference. People will have to buy the game to play mp, thats where the real fun is at. And with all that dice has done not sticking it to pc player a lot of people who pirate to "try" the game will buy it regardless. Its soooo worth buying imo.

well you can play in non-steam (cracked) server, or through hamachi, ventrilo, etc , or fool steam and make it think you’re playing Zero Gear Demo while you’re actually playing MW2 online for example. but the BS their will never match the real game play of legitimate servers ;), talking in general not about BC2, I don’t know if pirates were/are able to play BF2 online, but what I find surprising is non-steam servers still exist in CS:S!

how exactly do they gather these statistics? do they poll torrent sites and newgroups users?

yeah something like that. contrary to popular belief, software companies do not just make shit up so they can spend more money on drm. I work for a software company and have seen more torrent seeds for our app than copies we actually sold 7 days after release. it sucks. i've talked to a few people that downloaded our shit, every single one of them considers themselves the exception and has a long series of bullshit justifications.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Doesn't mean you're right,

"Because Steam's not as good as it's made out to be." = opinion. Opinion = no right or wrong.

I just picked up a pre-order at Bestbuy for the PS3 version.
Had them price match a deal Dell.ca is having. More info on deal here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499098

I already have the pre-order on steam, however most my friends have crappy PC's so they are mostly getting it on PS3.

Having played both, I can say the PC gives the best visuals and controls, thus is is definitely the way to go, if you have a nice PC.
However i find playing with friends is a lot more fun :)

Would have been nice if stats from console and pc could be combined under one user account.

Your "friends" are ruining your gaming experience. Its time for some new friends :) (with high end PCs of course)

should i get the steam verison over the retail verison ?

i'm thinking about trading MW2 for Ps3 for Battlefield bad company 2 PC verison

any suggestions.

I personally have a serious aversion to any direct download copies of games, as I like to have a physical copy in my hands of the game itself, knowing that if I uninstall it and years later want to reinstall it (a la StarCraft, Battlefield 1942) I can at a moments notice.

I'm a big fan of Steam personally. Less physical media clogging up my bookshelf and if I happen to be somewhere other than home, i still have access to it. More and more games these days are requiring an Internet connection for DRM anyway, whether or not it's a physical copy or digital download.

It's the same game, just a matter of personal preference.

if i trade in MW2 to game stop i could get this game for like $15 bucks or so

but i kinda like having my games on steam for the patching process
BF2 was a pain in the ass to patch for
i could wait and get the game probably cheaper on EA Downloader with Ebay keys or G2play.net but that would be cash out of my pocket
i basically got MW2 for ps3 for Christmas ive been playing it to hold me over for something better and they way the game is going is that they will force you to buy there over priced map packs and i won't be able to join 90% of the games if i don't pony up for that shit.
please this game BF game is being marketing very well for pc gamers and i gotta support something like that !

anyways i value you guys suggestions and opinions thanks !

BTW would get the PC verison not the PS3 verison !

Well the good news is that BC2 can auto-patch itself (or so they say) without the help of Steam.

Doesn't mean you're right,

"Because Steam's not as good as it's made out to be." = opinion. Opinion = no right or wrong.

Fact, not opinion. Steam's touted as being the answer to everything by some; apparently it isn't if the release dates are discrepant, whether it's down to the publishers or not.

Buh.

Fact, not opinion. Steam's touted as being the answer to everything by some; apparently it isn't if the release dates are discrepant, whether it's down to the publishers or not.

Buh.

When people praise Steam, it's for the platform. A lot of people have the misconception that release dates, patching, DRM problems, etc are controlled by Steam, but in reality, it's all controlled by the developers and publishers of the game. Steam is merely the distribution platform and you can't judge it based on uncontrollable circumstances.

if i trade in MW2 to game stop i could get this game for like $15 bucks or so

but i kinda like having my games on steam for the patching process
BF2 was a pain in the ass to patch for
i could wait and get the game probably cheaper on EA Downloader with Ebay keys or G2play.net but that would be cash out of my pocket
i basically got MW2 for ps3 for Christmas ive been playing it to hold me over for something better and they way the game is going is that they will force you to buy there over priced map packs and i won't be able to join 90% of the games if i don't pony up for that shit.
please this game BF game is being marketing very well for pc gamers and i gotta support something like that !

anyways i value you guys suggestions and opinions thanks !

BTW would get the PC verison not the PS3 verison !

This game doesn't use Steam for patching.

ok thanks for the info i think iam going to trade in MW2 for PS3 For BFBC2 PC

at gamestop tommrow they are offering bonus 50% trade in credit

This game doesn't use Steam for patching.

pretty sure it does, the steam beta client used steam to update instead of the patcher. Steam disabled the patcher on their version (the file was there but not downloaded, was 0kb) and steam handled updates so I think it will be the same for the full game.

When people praise Steam, it's for the platform. A lot of people have the misconception that release dates, patching, DRM problems, etc are controlled by Steam, but in reality, it's all controlled by the developers and publishers of the game. Steam is merely the distribution platform and you can't judge it based on uncontrollable circumstances.

Good point, fair enough.

Those who are playing final version....

Is FOV fixed and is there toggle crouch?

there is no prone in this game ? Why is that ?

They have stated that its for balance, whether its true or not is a different issue. In any event I barely miss it, there is plenty of foliage, rocks, buildings, forests, etc to hide in. Trying to figure out where proned snipers are would be a real pain in the ass otherwise.

DICE have stated that there is now an option to adjust the FOV.

Toggle crouch would be good as well.

That option(FOV) is not in the retail copy, yet. It's either going to be added with the day one patch/unlock, or when ever the first patch comes out. The people who "received an early copy" have confirmed this.

Depending on who you ask, it's either due to speed up gameplay, and/or because it was difficult to spot people in prone position in the console version, and Dice never bothered to add this to the PC version. I like it without prone, as it keeps people constantly moving around.

Does anyone know if after the game is released they will do an open beta? I would really like to try this game out before I purchase it to see how it does on my hardware.

Does anyone know if after the game is released they will do an open beta? I would really like to try this game out before I purchase it to see how it does on my hardware.

/facepalm
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

...dude the game went gold almost 2 weeks ago and is being shipped as we speak. It's in stores on Tuesday.

I think he means to ask if they will do an open demo. I'd guess they won't. The game rocks, just buy it.

Didn't DICE say that the consoles didn't have prone because of their lower res, but the PC version would? Were they just jumping on the "FUCK MW2!" bandwagon or something?

They never stated that prone would be in the PC version. They seem quite adamant that the removal of prone was best for the type of gameplay that they want to give users. Mainly, a faster pace and less camping since much of the cover can be destroyed. Now, if they would only limit snipers to one per squad...

No demo planned for PC. Consoles only.

Guju: I have a question for you guys, what are the main differences we are going to see between the PC demo and the beta we have right now.

Patrick: No, I think there is a misconception here, I don’t know where that came from. We have not planned to have a PC demo at all. The demo is just for the consoles.

http://www.fragcast.org/?p=608&page=2

So is there any "BEST" place to pre-order the game. I'm looking at the Steam checkout screen and just need to hit purchase to get it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back