Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's that mean exactly?

anyone who gets their game the first day of launch has access to those maps?

so steam, retail, ea downloader, whatever?

It means if you bought the game retail it comes with a code you use to unlock the maps. If you bought the game used and without the original account you would probably have to pay to unlock them or some jazz.

PC version shouldn't need a code, we should have access to it already or after a day 1 update.

From the article:
"Later in March, DICE will release yet another map pack at no extra charge, giving players a chance to experience the Africa Harbor map in Conquest mode and Laguna Presa map in Rush mode. Available in the box, the content packs are unlocked by simply inputting a VIP code."

It said content packs so I would assume the VIP code is needed for both day 1 and the future map pack.

Edit: Not to mention the opening paragraph basically states that it is indeed a code needed.

Remember the Cerberus Network from Mass Effect 2? It's baaaa-aaaack! When you pick up your brand new copy of Bad Company 2 it will come with a one-time-use code that will give you access to new content, free of charge. If you buy the game used, you'll be able to unlock the content for $15.

Last edited:
The only people that has to worry about codes for the map pack is console players.

PC players get the maps in game updates.

EDIT:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1072165p1.html

February 25, 2010 - Electronic Arts announced this morning two all-new multiplayer maps will be unlocked when Battlefield: Bad Company 2 launches on March 2 in North America. Both Laguna Alta, playable in Conquest mode, and Nelson Bay, playable in Rush mode, will be made available for download at launch, bringing the total number of multiplayer maps for the game to ten.

Additionally, EA plans to roll out another map pack later in the month, containing Arica Harbor map for Conquest mode and Laguna Presa map for Rush mode.

Those who purchase Battlefield: Bad Company 2 new on consoles will receive a VIP code which can be entered online to unlock these new maps for free. However, for those who don't have the VIP code, you can purchase one for $15. PC players will receive the maps as a game update.

ya, worring about vip codes for pc players would be evry dumb as battlefield games have always locked the cd key to your ea account, no way to resell the game.

this thread had better his 2000 posts by the 2nd

in for +1

what is the best way to pick a sniping point?

I use a mostly covered view. I will give up FOV and coverage if it means i dont move to much and give away my position. This works better in hardcore mode

Last edited:
this thread had better his 2000 posts by the 2nd

in for +1

what is the best way to pick a sniping point?

I use a mostly covered view. I will give up FOV and coverage if it means i dont move to much and give away my position. This works better in hardcore mode

I think that once the game hits shelves and about a month down there road when everyone has a feel for the game completely, the 'traditional' cover sniper will be slim to none. Every other FPS that I have played that was a huge hit that had snipers in it all came out to be playing sniper like you are on assualt. Basically in your face type sniper because people will get the aiming down in the game and will be able to do that.

I did it in MW1 and did it all day long in the past FPS games I have played after I got used to the hit boxes and aiming.

But I could be wrong since it seems there is a decent amount of cover for snipers but even tords the end of the BETA I was seeing snipers play 'CS' style.

Does the day-one DLC only allow one download for free, as I've read, or does it tie the game's CD-Key to the first EA account that installs it and allow the same content to be downloaded an unlimited number of times to that account?

The former seems a bit gay for those of us that reformat/uninstall unused programs frequently, and it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement the latter.

Also, apparently I'm going to be receiving my copy very soon as the retailer I pre-ordered with is "shipping copies early to ensure they reach us by release day". Already had my account debited, what a great excuse. Hurray.

Only consoles have to worry about Day 1 DLC and the key it requires. PC players get it for free in an update which you don't have to worry about because the game automatically updates anyway. This system was put in place so they could still make some cash off people selling used console games since you would have to pay for a DLC key if you bought the game second hand. You can't sell your game on PC because it is tied to your game account.

I wonder if it will unlock on steam a day or 2 before Tuesday. It's going to be a big download.

I wonder if it will unlock on steam a day or 2 before Tuesday. It's going to be a big download.

You mean preload? It's definitely not going to unlock. A preload is possible but even that is looking less and less likely.

I read on l_twin and demize99's twitters today that there will almost certainly be a Steam pre-load.

I guess plans for a group-buy via Steam has been scrapped too. I was hoping for one, oh well i'll just stick with my gamestop pre-order

Soooo tempted to download and beat the single player, then on Tuesday I can pick up my copy from Gamestop during lunch break and do multiplayer all night.....

Soooo tempted to download and beat the single player, then on Tuesday I can pick up my copy from Gamestop during lunch break and do multiplayer all night.....

Same here. I hate pirating, but since both EA/Dice and Gamestop already have my money...

I'm probably gonna do this since non-US release date is, inexplicably, March 4.

I also have class that day. I'm inclined to believe EA has it out for me :mad:

As far as I can tell, no one has posted this yet.

Pre-loading begins at 10 AM PST on Sunday 2/28 for all EA store and Direct 2 Drive customers. Steam Pre-loading is assumed to be the same time.

Game goes live at 10AM PST on Tuesday 3/2.

Source.

Everyime I pre order something like this, the stupid EU dates are always back 2 days, really irritates me...and developers wonder why they have to fight piracy tooth and nail, then can't even provide the game evenly around the world on release day, not even when they distribute it digitally.

I think my pre order on play.com is set for the 4th? and the UK steam release is 5th.

:rolleyes:

steam pre-order ftw. i dont get the AK like gamestop ordres but its totaly worth it because my friend will have to wait a few days to get it, while i am playing BC2 and laughing at him.

I encourage everyone NOT to download this game and simply wait for the official release. Seriously. Don't be part of the statistik that says that BFBC2 was the most pirated game in 2010 and therefore BF3 will have no dedicated servers anymore or some shit. Just don't.

I encourage everyone NOT to download this game and simply wait for the official release. Seriously. Don't be part of the statistik that says that BFBC2 was the most pirated game in 2010 and therefore BF3 will have no dedicated servers anymore or some shit. Just don't.

you cant play online without a real copy, unless your on xbox. so.... devs... REALEASE MORE GAMES TO PC!!! LESS PIRATING!

Won't make a difference. People will have to buy the game to play mp, thats where the real fun is at. And with all that dice has done not sticking it to pc player a lot of people who pirate to "try" the game will buy it regardless. Its soooo worth buying imo.

You both miss the point: If you download and pirate the game, even if you bought it already, you become part of a statistic. If you can play multiplayer or not with a pirated copy is totally not the point here.

You both miss the point: If you download and pirate the game, even if you bought it already, you become part of a statistic. If you can play multiplayer or not with a pirated copy is totally not the point here.

im sure investors care more about dollars then statistics.

basically the SP game is a demo if you pirate it. if you like it, you buy it for the MP.

But the SP looks good enough to buy it on its own. even if you do pirate it then buy it later im sure DICE would still thank you for your buisness.

how exactly do they gather these statistics? do they poll torrent sites and newgroups users?

how exactly do they gather these statistics? do they poll torrent sites and newgroups users?

they have this brand new machine called 'thier ass" that they get numbers from. its a shitty system imo.

I'm with this guy. Whether you've bought it or not is irrelevant; by pirating it you're giving them one more unit to misrepresent and warp and use as justification for whatever shitty practice they have lined up. Why give them ammunition that they can construe as "theft of a game" - which they will, they don't give a shit how many bought the game of those that pirated it - so that further down the road they can give us the shaft?

Let's not be stupid, at least not with DICE. If people fuck up DICE for me I am going to tie them up and force them to watch as I slip their wife/parents/whomever a fat length.

Is there a reason why the STeam version unlocks at 6pm est???

I'd get it qauicker by using amazon with free release day delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back