Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest what are your specs? Did you computer pass the BC2 minimum requirements tester website that someone rencetly posted?

I have:

E4400 @ 2ghz
GTS 250 512 mb
2 gig ram
Vista

15-20fps with low setting, medium on details in 1024*720.
It seems this game likes powerful CPU´s.

sorry i havent read all 15 pages of this thread...but what is HBOA?

I am running the game at 19x12 at medium detail and it seems pretty smooth.

I love the fact that you can mow down trees, walls are destructible and you can shoot bad guys thru them.

I realize that this is a beta and i think eventually it will be awesome....im very happy that i pre ordered it.

I have a feeling if you don't have a quad, you need to turn down the sound quality to help with fps since the devs talked about how they are using the cpu for all of it.

god, im havign a horrid time trying to play the game. Constant gfx issues.

bfbc2game20100129082636.png

bfbc2game20100129082626.png

first i was getting that.

I forced the game to run in DX9 mode now that problem is gone, but now I cant see any freaking buildings. I can see sand bags and the base of a building. I can also see building shadows but cant see walls. While that sounds awsome its not, you have no idea when your enemy is acctually visable so you have no idea if your shot will hit, 75% of my sniper ammo goes to shooting walls right now lol.

Played almost 2 hours yesterday night.
Everything eventually ran fine, and was working really well, in fact i was actually completely pwning, 1st place every round, so many dog tags collected and pins/medals, unlocks, rank increases etc.

What made all the difference, was that i was playing really late last night (1 to 2am EST).
Prior to that the game was so laggy that it was practically unplayable.

Once i actually got on a server with decent ping (80 to 100 based on G15 LCD readout) then all my previous lag related issues were now gone. What a difference it makes when playing on a decent server. This game is a lot of fun :)

Last edited:

That looks a lot like artefacts from the the GPU overheating, vertices coordinates get misplaced and it stretches polys about and often makes the face of the polygon dissapear leaving it black or see through.

Are you overclocking?

i'm currently running both my Q6600 and 4870 at stock speeds.

1920x1080, all high, 4x AA, 8x AF, HBAO off:
30-40 fps just running around, no shooting, no destruction, etc.
10-20 fps during any exchange, whether it's with one enemy or multiple enemies.

1920x1080, all med, 2x AA, 8x AF, HBAO off:
35-50 fps just running around
20-30 fps during exchanges.

i'll bring my Q6600 back up to 3.0ghz tonight and see if it helps any. despite the poor performance i had a freakin blast playing this last night. played for about 3 hours during which i had trouble connecting to servers but once i got in i played uninterrupted for the most part. only issues i've come across are a couple of CTD's and the steam overlay not working. to me it feels like a slightly consolized BF2142 but with some nice additions. even so, the game is VERY fun. i'll play the shit out of it this weekend.

Well i had a few graphics issues at start as well ( nothing as severe as what your showing). Basically some textures were flashing on the screen.

I solved my issues by installing the latest nvidia WHQL drivers.

Dont know if that will help you, but its a start.

I cant get any farther than trying to login with my EA account, Game freezes and gets pixelated, I have to power down the computer.

for you guys, does your friends list work at all? Is there any way possible yet to play with your friends online instead of joining a random server by yourself?

That looks a lot like artefacts from the the GPU overheating, vertices coordinates get misplaced and it stretches polys about and often makes the face of the polygon dissapear leaving it black or see through.

Are you overclocking?

tried playing at stock gpu and cpu speeds and same problems, wasnt till i switched to dx9 mode that the artifacts stopped.

im gonna try updating drivers, that might help.

Is it just me or is there too much HDR bloomie crap going on in this game? I feel like im outside without sunglasses on the entire time im playing. I couldnt find an option to turn it off. :confused:

Is it just me or is there too much HDR bloomie crap going on in this game? I feel like im outside without sunglasses on the entire time im playing. I couldnt find an option to turn it off. :confused:

i agree 100%, way too much bloom. i'm hoping it is just amplified because it is a snow map and the other locales will have less exaggerated bloom.

if you go to your user/documents/bfbc2beta folder and open up settings.ini theres on option in trhere for bloom, try setting that to false mabey?

i'm currently running both my Q6600 and 4870 at stock speeds.

1920x1080, all high, 4x AA, 8x AF, HBAO off:
30-40 fps just running around, no shooting, no destruction, etc.
10-20 fps during any exchange, whether it's with one enemy or multiple enemies.

1920x1080, all med, 2x AA, 8x AF, HBAO off:
35-50 fps just running around
20-30 fps during exchanges.

i'll bring my Q6600 back up to 3.0ghz tonight and see if it helps any. despite the poor performance i had a freakin blast playing this last night. played for about 3 hours during which i had trouble connecting to servers but once i got in i played uninterrupted for the most part. only issues i've come across are a couple of CTD's and the steam overlay not working. to me it feels like a slightly consolized BF2142 but with some nice additions. even so, the game is VERY fun. i'll play the shit out of it this weekend.

I have the same system as you but my Q6600 is at 3.6ghz, stock 4870 speeds. How do you display FPS? I'm curious to see how FPS compares to yours.

I'm running 1920x1200 on Medium. I had it on high but the game did not play smooth. I had to drop the settings to medium and play with the mouse sensitivity. Not sure what HBAO is so I don't know if it's on or off.

My only gripe with this game are the controls. They just don't quite feel like any of the BF games of old. Sprinting and not being able to straf left or right is annoying too.

OMG yes! I hate the bloom!

How do you force DX9 mode?

X:\Users\%Username%\Documents\BC2Beta\settings.ini

Change:
DXVersion=Auto

To:
DXVersion=9

I have the same system as you but my Q6600 is at 3.6ghz, stock 4870 speeds. How do you display FPS? I'm curious to see how FPS compares to yours.

I'm running 1920x1200 on Medium. I had it on high but the game did not play smooth. I had to drop the settings to medium and play with the mouse sensitivity. Not sure what HBAO is so I don't know if it's on or off.

My only gripe with this game are the controls. They just don't quite feel like any of the BF games of old. Sprinting and not being able to straf left or right is annoying too.

i use fraps to display framerate. i'm curious to see your results as well. HBAO is Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion (or so i've read in people's posts here at [H]) and is a setting under the advanced video options. supposedly turning it off gives a substantial increase in framerate, though i personally have no basis of comparison since i turned it off before i even loaded my first game.

I dont a cmd to display fps but you can just download and run FRAPS in the background.

After the update, game is running even better for me and mouse sensitivity is fixed, so is Server Browser. 1920 x 1200 4xAA 16AF everything High, HBAO on.

Very smooth....i'm impressed!

Last edited:
I need to do some tweaks to the graphics because they are annoying. So much fucking bloom on a snow map makes me rage. Feels very consolish to me. I'm just glad I got one of those free keys because it saved me $50 from pre-ordering this game. I know it's early to judge, but I really dislike what I've seen so far. Shooting feels mushy but I guess that was expected since it's BF. I was hoping for a little change on that part. That being said, I can see this getting better and I'm going to play it more since I have no other new games.

That's great news! They were quick on that update....Too bad I have to work overtime tonight, but nowadays I guess that's an ok problem :)

bfbc2game20100129082636.png

bfbc2game20100129082626.png

first i was getting that.

I forced the game to run in DX9 mode now that problem is gone, but now I cant see any freaking buildings. I can see sand bags and the base of a building. I can also see building shadows but cant see walls. While that sounds awsome its not, you have no idea when your enemy is acctually visable so you have no idea if your shot will hit, 75% of my sniper ammo goes to shooting walls right now lol.

woot, updating my nvidia drivers fixed all my rpoblems. I can now run in dx9 or 10 mode and no problems at all, boy was I missing lots of stuff, apperently I wasnt seeing any tree's either lol

Turns out I was still using 191 drivers, the new 196 off nvidia site worked.

After the update, game is running even better for me and mouse sensitivity is fixed, so is Server Browser. 1920 x 1200 4xAA 16AF everything High, HBAO on.

Very smooth....i'm impressed!

what update? there's no mention of it on their blog. i'd appreciate a link :)

thanks for the links, interested!

for the lazy:

A new BFBC2 PC Beta client is on its way.
Don't worry it is a new painless process and will not be a massive 1.4Gb download again.
Watch this space for information on fixes and how to go about getting the RC2 Client.

The RC2 contains the following fixes:

Front end:
Fixes server browser crashes. Server browser more resilient against corrupt online service data, and better support for large number of servers.
Several server browser ping issues resolved.

Windows XP stability:
Fixed crash on windows XP at end of round, exit game and display mode changes and.
Proper window style / mouse confinement when starting game maximized on XP .

Options dialog:
Mouse sensitivity setting gives more effect.
Mouse sensitivity loaded on game startup.

The update to RC2 will be 8.4Mb

I had a ton of fun playing it last night. But is the VOIP working yet?
I tried using the push to talk to speak to my squadmates, and either they didn't hear me because it's not implimented yet, they didn't hear me because my volume was low, or they just didn't respond.

just want to say, new update is out, steam is updating bf bc2 now for me

has anyone figured out how to join with your friends playing? Is there an IP listed? My friends section is not working. Im trying to figure out how to play with my friends in the same server tonight.

If you like battlefield 2 or 2142 or whatever you will probably like this game.
for me its a big disappointment. It feels like bf 2.1. Same bad register on shooting as its predecessors, was really hoping that they fixed that.
EA are master sales people. all the rendered movies making this seem like some great new thing, but it really is the same old crap in a new can!
glad i played this beta before paying full price!

s[H]aqFU;1035255697 said:
If you like battlefield 2 or 2142 or whatever you will probably like this game.
for me its a big disappointment. It feels like bf 2.1. Same bad register on shooting as its predecessors, was really hoping that they fixed that.
EA are master sales people. all the rendered movies making this seem like some great new thing, but it really is the same old crap in a new can!
glad i played this beta before paying full price!

I was hoping the shooting was more like source or cod on registering. It looked good in the movies :(

I found the game fun, there is still some things they gotta fix though. Anyone else still have that sticky key problem?? Annoying as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back