backups getting to big for robotic tape library.

mord

Limp Gawd
The company I work for tasked me with revamping our backup system. While they are going to have to spend some money they want to spend as little as possable (duh).

Right now we have 2 sites. One with about 1.3TB of data the other with 300GB. I am mainly responsable for the site with 300GB, but they want my solution to be usable at the site with 1.3TB of data also. Right now we are doing fulls on weekend and diffs on mon-thur all to tape. We cross ship fulls once per month for off site backup.

Our robotic tape library is getting pushed to the max to backup 1.3T over the weekend and verify. We also want to get off site backups done more often then once a month. Daily would be ideal. Pricing of online remote backup got a thumbs down on cost.

We have data that stretches back 15 years. I did a access audit and we do use that old data a suprising amount of time. To much usage to go with offline archiveing.

What do you think of a backup scheme that backs up all data not accessed in 3 months once per 3 months, then the weekly fulls only back up data accessed in the last 7 months? This should cover all data with a min 1 month overlap. I estimate it would decrease our weekly fulls by as much as 80-90%. At that amount we could go with daily offsite backups.

This does make for a 3 tier restore though.

Back