Backup ZFS Snapshots with Crashplan

artbird309

Weaksauce
I know this is crazy but I would like to be able to backup my VM share on my file server running OI+Nappit to the cloud using Crashplan.

I know I can't just try and backup the shared folder without shutting down the VM's for that long. So I was thinking I could just setup a auto snap shot job and then have Crashplan backup the snaps instead of the live files but the snaps are in the ./zfs/ folder which is not visible in anything including the Crashplan backup set.

Is there anyone of doing this or is it just hopeless?

I know this is crazy but I would like to be able to backup my VM share on my file server running OI+Nappit to the cloud using Crashplan.

I know I can't just try and backup the shared folder without shutting down the VM's for that long. So I was thinking I could just setup a auto snap shot job and then have Crashplan backup the snaps instead of the live files but the snaps are in the ./zfs/ folder which is not visible in anything including the Crashplan backup set.

Is there anyone of doing this or is it just hopeless?

I am just backing up my live online vms with crashplan. Yes I know it is far from ideal, however the only real issue is that if I restore from those backups it will be no different than if I had not cleanly shutdown the machines. With journaled fs on all the vms I am not too concerned by that. Also I do not think your plan of using snapshots would be all that different? Now if this was for a production environment then I would use something like veem.

The problem I had with backing up the live VM's was I could not get the whole VMDK's uploaded before it would stop and then it would have to start over due to the changes. I have most of my disk thin provisioned ranging from 40-250 GB and it shows the thin provisioned used size in Napp-it but when Crashplan startes backing it up it is the full thick size.

Taking snapshots would do the same like not cleanly shutting down the machine which I am fine with. This is not a production environment, just my home ESXi server running free edition so I can't use Veem or Quantum due to the api limitations.

Back