Backup Utility

StarsFan4Life

Limp Gawd
Over the weekend I setup a main "media" home server and installed 2 x 500gb drives on it. Now, as of right now, I only have about 400gb used between the two, but downloads are on their way.

I also purchased a 1TB HD to be used as an external drive for backups. What I would like to do is schedule a weekly backup at 3:00am Monday morning to backup everything on these two drives (not C:).

I tried using Vista's backup utility and I "assume" it backed it up on the external as there is now a folder on there and is around 350mb (compressed?). However, I cannot open the file up to see the contents.

Needless to say, I would like some suggestions on free backup utlities that can be scheduled to run every so often. Thanks in advance!

SyncToy is free, easy to configure, and I'm pretty sure it can be scheduled as well.

I've used Syncback SE, they have a free version but the supported version is only 30 bucks. It works really well never had a problem with it at all, and does scheduling.

I use Acronis and for $29.99 its a steal for all the time its saved me. Yes their are free versions, but some companies deserve my hard earned money because they make good products.

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to image the entire drive, Acronis or Ghost would work best. If you want to maintain a backup of files and folders, and keep them backed up on a server or external drive, SyncToy is a better choice.

I agree with ^, Acronis is great but if you just want to do file level backups other software is better, you can try synctoy as others mentioned or give casper a try. I love acronis but you need the software to look at the backed up files or do any kind of restore, you can't just manually copy stuff over to other drive/medium. If you plan on doing full drive images then acronis is well worth the money.

Back