Backup Solution (for Windows data)

XTF

Gawd
What's the best (free) solution to backup Windows data (documents, images, other stuff)?
I'd like to regularly backup to USB drive or network.
Old versions of files should be kept.
Direct access to files in backups would be prefered.

Personally, I use SyncToy to do exactly that. Backup to USB drive - I use the Echo option but it does have the option of keeping the old files. And it's free. Oh, and direct access to the files.

Last edited:
mmm, but i dont think so, i think you do have to restore the backup somewhere to access the files.

Gonna piggy back on this thread, I regularly get called by friends and family when they want to get a new hard drive, switch computers, whatever. I want a simple windows app that acts as follows:

*Easy install, no real configuration needed
*I can hit "go" and it will backup the entire contents of a hard drive to a network share or another hard drive
*It doesn't error out on locked files, read only files, it will absolutely get EVERYTHING
*It's a one time thing, no asking about schedules or creating schedules, no system tray manager icon thing
*The backup isn't in some proprietary format, you can browse through it later

Basically a mixture of cloning/dumping/file copying. At the end I want to know that yes I got everything and I'll be able to access the data without installing additional software to restore, etc. And I'm lazy so I want an easy GUI. :)

Can't Windows Backup do that?

Can't find out how to exclude dirs from Windows Backup though.

Last edited:
Back