Backup Solution for Both Apple server & 2003 server!!

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently we have a apple server running 10.5.3 and a windows 2003 server, can any one help me or recommend me some software that will back both machines up to one computer, Ie another box with hard drive in it OR nas storage type solution.

Please!

For the apple server I would suggest using Time Machine, and for the windows server use Acronis True Image.

This is what I am doing at home for my mac and windows machines. I have a mac server running 10.6.3 with a 2TB drive connected to it. I have the drive partitioned in 2 1TB partitions. 1 is not shared and used for TM backups. The other is shared and used as the Acronis dumping ground for my windows VMs. So far this works out very well and gives me the ability to do full machine restores with TM which don't work so well when pulled over the network.

For the apple server I would suggest using Time Machine, and for the windows server use Acronis True Image.

This is what I am doing at home for my mac and windows machines. I have a mac server running 10.6.3 with a 2TB drive connected to it. I have the drive partitioned in 2 1TB partitions. 1 is not shared and used for TM backups. The other is shared and used as the Acronis dumping ground for my windows VMs. So far this works out very well and gives me the ability to do full machine restores with TM which don't work so well when pulled over the network.

I have asked about the time machine, but it is not the best solution, these 2 servers are used between 34 pc users & 18 mac users, i need a VERY good backup.

Better idea ?

Crashplan is a free piece of software (or you can buy the pro version) that backs up linux/mac/windows using some pretty advanced de-dup and compression technology resulting in some impressive space savings on backups while at the same time giving you good control over versions, retention, etc.

www.crashplan.com

Seems to do exactly what you would want to

Crashplan is a free piece of software (or you can buy the pro version) that backs up linux/mac/windows using some pretty advanced de-dup and compression technology resulting in some impressive space savings on backups while at the same time giving you good control over versions, retention, etc.

www.crashplan.com

Seems to do exactly what you would want to

thanks :0 just emailed them asking them if their software will backup mysql on the mac box and oracle on the windows server. Now to figure out what machine to build to use as a backup server only. I thought about the qnap, but we want something better.

We use BackupPC for Win/Mac/*nix, if set up properly bare metal restores are possible to restore or clone systems.

We use BackupPC for Win/Mac/*nix, if set up properly bare metal restores are possible to restore or clone systems.

I emailed crashplan, see what they say. I will keep every one posted, and let them know the results i get :)

J'

Back