Backup Software - Ghost

scatpack

Limp Gawd
Ive just done a nice clean reinstall of WinXp and loaded all the updates, what a perfect time to back up the harddrive for the next time i want to do a clean install.

I have a copy of Ghost, but from what I understand from the last time I used it, it backs up not the "used" portions of the harddrive, but ALL the drive. I don't need the 95% of blank space backed up, just the 'good stuff'

Can anyone suggest a way to completely back up Windows without ending up with 5 DVDr's (or CDR) worth of "empty space"

Thank you in advance.
Brian

I dont know what version of Ghost you have, but the Ghost 2003 I use only backs up the data, not the entire drive. I have a 40G drive, with 4.7G used, and the Ghost image is 3.9G total. Reinstall and check your settings.

yeah, i don't know what you're talking about either.

i know there are certain types of images that can have 'empty space' waiting to be filled, i'm thinking of disk images i use for my mac emulator (basilisk ii) (for backup purposes only from my dad's se and lc3 days)

There is a setting in Ghost under OPTIONS>Virtual Partition Free Space. Check to see what yours is set at. Mine is default at 2MB.

I have Ghost 2003 and when I use it, it only backs up the data on the hard drive, not the other 35GB of unused space.

I think your referring to ghosting from one drive to another, or cloning. That's not how Ghost is used as a backup device. You want to create and image on another machine, or burned to DVD/CD.

Back