backup of my zfs server

tobiasl

Weaksauce
Hi
time has com to I nede loking for som backup of my data on my zfs server I are loking on 2
ideas

1 Synology DiskStation DS411j
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS411j&lang=enu

+ plug and play and move off site
+ small
+ cheap

- not zfs
- no ecc ram

2 ZFS server on ASUS E35M1-M, AMD E-350
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M/

+ ZFS
+ expandability of HDD

-price
- size ( use my onld tower )
- not ECC
-not so plug and play

my zfs server I nede to backup got 2 X 6 2TB raisz2 ind 2 vdev and will be more over time
the backup will be fine whit JBOD or are I wrong whit doing that ?

hope to som help to my loving data:D

Hi
time has com to I nede loking for som backup of my data on my zfs server I are loking on 2
ideas

1 Synology DiskStation DS411j
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS411j&lang=enu

+ plug and play and move off site
+ small
+ cheap

- not zfs
- no ecc ram

2 ZFS server on ASUS E35M1-M, AMD E-350
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M/

+ ZFS
+ expandability of HDD

-price
- size ( use my onld tower )
- not ECC
-not so plug and play

my zfs server I nede to backup got 2 X 6 2TB raisz2 ind 2 vdev and will be more over time
the backup will be fine whit JBOD or are I wrong whit doing that ?

hope to som help to my loving data:D

How about snapshot replication to another zfs box, offsite?

How about something like this? Load with whatever drives you want, create a second ZFS zpool, utilize the "zfs send" command, secure backup wherever you deem safe, repeat sync however frequently you wish.

BTW.. zfs send can work across the internet....

I know a lot of Asus boards do support ECC (you'd have to do some ground work to find which ones).

A cheap dualcore underclocked/undervolted would work just fine.

I think not backing up a ZFS with another ZFS doesn't make much sense. Your back up data wouldn't be as secure. I can see a raid 5 array backed up with a ZFS, but not the other way around.

ok I will read som up on zfs send

Synthetickiller@
why do you think it doesn't make much sense to backup ZFS to ZFS ?

HP Microserver would be cheaper than the synology (same price if you bump the ram), supports ECC, and could of course support zfs.

HP Microserver would be cheaper than the synology (same price if you bump the ram), supports ECC, and could of course support zfs.
HP Microserver look realy nice maybe a stupid question.
but lit I get one of the HP plug 4 2TB in no raidz it will give me 8TB but my data are 16TB (I know one HDD not are 2TB total but to make it easier ;) )
can I buy one more HP plug 4 2TB ind and just mount the share and then send zfs to it ?

I didn't catch that you had 16TB of data - how was the 4 disk synology going to work as an alternative in that case either?

I didn't catch that you had 16TB of data - how was the 4 disk synology going to work as an alternative in that case either?

my plan whit the synology whas buy one and then just copy over FTP and then just get a new one when it got full but I think it will be that HP and then solaris whit nappit whit out raidz but whas I can read zfs will teel if the file got corrupted and when it backup so are it just a replase

I'm in the same situation. Ill just use an old PC running win 2008 put in a 5 bay hotswap from my old server and add 5x2TB disks. I think the main problem is how the backup is made and maintained.

If you want remote/cloud storage, I would look at either CrashPlan or Tarsnap. I suspect Tarsnap will be very expensive since it's Amazon-S3 based. CrashPlan offers a Solaris client and an unlimited cloud plan, but uploading 16TB will probably take a long time (they do offer a disk-based seed service for $125 per 1.5TB).

The reason those services appeal to me is that it's offsite and I don't have to worry about the infrastructure. With the volume of data you're backing up however restoration could take a very long time :)

If you're just set on maintaining a local copy of your data in the event your server suffers a massive failure (e.g. more than a couple drives out simultaneously), I would recommend either a second server or possibly a tape drive.

An LTO-5 drive can hold 3TB per tape cartridge (compressed). Tapes are around $60-100 each and the drive itself costs $2,500+.

In terms of setting up a second server, you could mimic your current setup on a smaller scale, or opt for something more simple like Unraid or the aforementioned Windows Home Server solutions (though I would recommend building a system vs. the microserver since you'll be able to more easily expand the capacity).

What scares me about the Synology is that it is a point of failure with an unknown restoration option. At least with Unraid, or WHS, or Solaris you can move the drives into a new system and import the disks. I'm not sure that would be possible with the Synology stuff.

Anyway you look at it there are pros/cons. I guess you just have to decide what you're ultimate goal is.

if you want to do backup. do it either in the 'cloud' or to a (best ZFS-) second server on another location or
you can just plugin one of two or more removable pools (USB or eSara or SAS up to 132 disks)
For backups you may use block based near realtime replication via ZFS send/receive or file based sync via rsync or robocopy

(export/ replace this pool regularly and put it in a safe place)

Back