Backpage Founders Indicted on 93-Counts

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a follow up to a story we posted last weekend of Backpage.com being shut down by the FBI, USA Today is revealing the contents of the 93-count indictment brought against the websites' founders. The indictment names Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin, co-founders of Backpage.com, and lists 50 specific instances where ads posted on the site were alleged to have been used to facilitate prostitution, as well as summarizing the experiences of over 17 victims trafficked through the site, some of whom were as young as 14, as well as 40 counts of money laundering. A spokesman for the U.S Attorney's office in Phoenix said money was wired into and out of foreign countries and converted into Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

A federal grand jury, which spent 14 months hearing evidence in the case, found that Backpage had violated existing law. Word of the grand jury probe first was mentioned in a February 2017 court filing from Backpage lawyers as part of a civil lawsuit in Washington.

When parents find children, their missing children, for sale on your website you should go to prison.

Your reply was hard to read. Why was there absolutely no punctuation except for the period at the end?

Sending them to prison isn't enough. They should be made dead ASAP.

It seems to me if prostitution was legal; spotting under-aged prostitutes would be easier, so the U.S. government is encouraging child prostitutes.

(only half /s)

I had a few friends that I worked out with at the gym that were always going off about some hooker they bought off backpage everytime I worked out. I can't believe this service was up and running as long as it was. I can't recall the last prostitution sting/arrest in my area despite the ability to exploit the site. About 10 years ago there was a craigslist prostitution bust that was front page headlines for almost a week, and often on the tv news.

I had a few friends that I worked out with at the gym that were always going off about some hooker they bought off backpage everytime I worked out. I can't believe this service was up and running as long as it was. I can't recall the last prostitution sting/arrest in my area despite the ability to exploit the site. About 10 years ago there was a craigslist prostitution bust that was front page headlines for almost a week, and often on the tv news.

Well now that backpage is gone, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more stings/arrests coming...... All this did was force it back underground so the criminals can run it as they see fit, and made it much more dangerous for women who choose this line of work.

It seems to me if prostitution was legal; spotting under-aged prostitutes would be easier, so the U.S. government is encouraging child prostitutes.

(only half /s)
That logic only works if there's no child sex trafficking in places where it's legal. That's not the case. Austrailia and NZ have legal prostitution and they have issues with sex trafficking of both adults and children. Sex Trafficking is not the same as prostitution.

I only said easier to spot (as they don't need to waste as much time on the legal ones).

Well now that backpage is gone, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more stings/arrests coming...... All this did was force it back underground so the criminals can run it as they see fit, and made it much more dangerous for women who choose this line of work.

They'll always a new napster, don't fret!

Maybe if the parents spent less time looking for hookers on backpage, they would not make their kids run away.

What an asshole thing to say. Obviously you have no idea of what you would or would not do to find your kids if they disappeared.

What an asshole thing to say. Obviously you have no idea of what you would or would not do to find your kids if they disappeared.

Grab your sense of humor back from the bouncer.

You are right, maybe if my kids were missing I would need a hooker.

Back