Backlog and unfinished games-any1 else?

Island

Gawd
Just wanted to get the general consensus here on [H] and how many of you guys are like me? I'm in my 30's, got a full time job, have a family, etc....

I am busy with life, but I do try to make time to game. I just looked at my Steam, EA, Ubi, GOG, etc. and holy crap do I have sooooo many frekking games I still have to finish...Hell, almost half of them I haven't played more then an hour.

I built a really nice rig a few years ago, and try to upgrade with the best hardware, but I always get bored playing even the new AAA titles, and I can't seem to finish any of them.

I don't know if i'm just getting old, but I get excited and buy sooo many games then I end up not playing. Seems like the newer games also have such a steep learning curve and having to learn inventory, play style, etc. just makes me not want to put in the effort..... Anyone else feel this way?

I probably finished about 5 games this year.....meanwhile my backlog grew another 20 or so. Now up to 510 games on steam alone.

I think I have about 450-500 unplayed games across platforms. A lot of it is indie crap which I no longer purchase or bundles from humble which I also no longer purchase (unless has a game I really want to play).
I will finish about 30-35 games this year (which is the usual for me).

Yeah if I know the game won't get played I won't buy it even if it's a good game. If it's something like Pantheon Rise of the fallen I'll buy that cause I know it's a once in a lifetime game. Takes alot of hype but more so staying power for me to pick something up that I know will fit the bill.
I bought one game this year which I wish I didn't and that was Conan Exiles sorry funcom you should of made another MMO.

I don't go nuts on Steam sales. As a result my backlog of games is fairly small.

Backlog alone backlogs game development cause the Steam ADD crowd doesn't even know what they want.

A. You make a fast paced shooter the community will say it's shallow

B. You make a Deep Rich MMO with micro transactions and multiple levels of community engagement the game game dies down because people are overwhelmed by it.

C. Combine A and B you have Destiny 2

Last edited:
Ok...Reading some of the comments above makes me not feel as bad =) Damn...I thought I was bad... Anyway...I tried to put in a few hours last night. I picked up Deus Ex Mankind and SW Bf2 recently, so I tried to at least get through a few chapters.... Also, i cracked open Doom, Dying light, and Witcher.... Most of those games though, minus Doom, I was completely;y lost as I forgot how the inventory and play system worked, so I ended up getting pissed and switching to another game....

About 110 games in my Steam library, all of them are highly rated titles. I don't buy Indie stuff. Of those 110, I've played about 15 of them (in the last 10 years) and only completed a few (GTA4, Torchlight, FO3, FONV, Oblivion, Skyrim, and all the Serious Sam titles). I used to go nuts during the sales but have scaled back, big-time.

Full-time job, family etc. That backlog actually causes me stress. I've contemplated donating my account to a friend of mine just getting into PC gaming and starting from scratch, only buying what I intend to play at that time. Crazy, I know!

Finished most of my games. Ones I haven't are just games I ended up not enjoying, so stopped playing. Tend to be pretty reserved on game purchases, and when I do I'll usually wait until the game is sub $20, heck even $10 a lot these days.

I always concentrate on completing one game at a time though. Trying to switch among multiple games has never worked for me.

I've got hundreds of games I've never played once. But someday I will. Right now though, I'm pretty much only playing Overwatch and PUBG though.

I have 5-6 games I still plan to play through, but just haven't gotten around to. Usually it's because the opening areas aren't compelling enough or the game feels too complicated. Performance issues certainly don't help, either. Still, I do tend to give most games a fair shake at some point. It might take a year or more, but I play though 90% of my games at least once.
There's something to be said for games starting off with great pacing or familiar/simple gameplay. I hate being overwhelmed by mechanics early in a game.

I stopped buying games during sales. Now I only buy games when I actually feel like playing them which has helped me save a ton of money. Now when I feel like playing a game I look at my backlog and see if there's a game I haven't beat, then I ask myself why and then give it another shot. Lately I have just been playing Mario Odyssey on my switch cause it's so damn easy to plop my ass down on the couch and pick up the console that's been sitting in standby for a week and pick up from where I left off.

My biggest one was Borderlands 2. Stopped playing twice. I started over a week ago and put in around 28 hours. Close to finishing the last story mission or so. Way too drawn out, but an okay game. Just doesn't have the charm of the first game though.

My biggest one was Borderlands 2. Stopped playing twice. I started over a week ago and put in around 28 hours. Close to finishing the last story mission or so. Way too drawn out, but an okay game. Just doesn't have the charm of the first game though.
I feel this way about the franchise. I think I put 60 or 70 hours into the first game and just quit because I got so tired of the slog. The world is way too big, and killing things isn't satisfying at all. Each time I thought I was finally getting closer and closer to the end, but I finally just said fuck it, it's not worth it since I'm not enjoying myself. Got the second game when it was really cheap hoping it improved the first game in some way, but it was more of the same. Coupled with horrendous drop rates for rarer weapons I didn't even attempt to play more after just a couple hours. I was not going to put myself through that shit again.

I feel this way about the franchise. I think I put 60 or 70 hours into the first game and just quit because I got so tired of the slog. The world is way too big, and killing things isn't satisfying at all. Each time I thought I was finally getting closer and closer to the end, but I finally just said fuck it, it's not worth it since I'm not enjoying myself. Got the second game when it was really cheap hoping it improved the first game in some way, but it was more of the same. Coupled with horrendous drop rates for rarer weapons I didn't even attempt to play more after just a couple hours. I was not going to put myself through that shit again.

Oh yeah the drop rates were atrocious, farming the same easy bullet sponge mob 20 times was awful. So instead I used a cheat engine package to tweak the drop rates and raised them by about 4x. Me and my friends had such a better experience when we were replacing our weapons every 10 minutes. What's the point of creating such an elaborate weapon generator if you don't let players fully experience it!

I'm in my mid 30s, full time job, house, responsibilities, etc... I have 600 games on Steam, Beat 80 of them, played 149 of them. Some games just don't feel like playing but eventually get to it, some games i lose interest. But I do try to give each game a chance, been working on my backlog a lot this year. But I'm also a humble monthly subscriber so games to constantly just keep compounding on my backlog and I usually buy the bundles if they go to the charities I support. I generally buy all my major purchases on sale unless its from a Dev that I really want to support then I will buy it day1.

I don't feel bad about any of it, mainly because I know I got most of them from Bundles and the Monthly. I usually just give them a chance and usually find a few good ones in each bundle that makes it worth it.

Just this weekend I beat Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (took around a month of a few hours a day), Event 0, Orwell (not necessarily beat, but finished) and ICEY.

Last edited:

Agreed about the drop rate. In BL1 it was fine, in BL2 it is terrible. From hours 7-8 until around hour 30 I mostly used a pistol I had picked up. It was my best weapon by far, except for long distance shots (sniper rifles for those). Anything else was just for fun but as soon as I got swarmed I switched to the pistol to kill more of them quickly.

Late 20s (28) but already have my hands full – wife, child and house building sorta grab most of my time but I sure do wish I to play my wast collection (I'm very much a game hoarder) someday... Still have ps1, many many PS2 (never had it when I was young) and PS3 RPG's (was very glad when Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen came to pc but it still sitting in my steam library) and even gamecube (and wii) games to play... I'm still planning to "find time" to finally mod my fallout new vegas to enjoy it in full glory (and still planning to install oblivion fcom mod some years down the road).

GLAD to see i'm not the only :) Thanks for all the feedback fellas....Merry Christmas....Now back to looking at all the games I have to finish...Feels more like work....sheesh:cry:

Just wanted to get the general consensus here on [H] and how many of you guys are like me? I'm in my 30's, got a full time job, have a family, etc....

I am busy with life, but I do try to make time to game. I just looked at my Steam, EA, Ubi, GOG, etc. and holy crap do I have sooooo many frekking games I still have to finish...Hell, almost half of them I haven't played more then an hour.

I built a really nice rig a few years ago, and try to upgrade with the best hardware, but I always get bored playing even the new AAA titles, and I can't seem to finish any of them.

I don't know if i'm just getting old, but I get excited and buy sooo many games then I end up not playing. Seems like the newer games also have such a steep learning curve and having to learn inventory, play style, etc. just makes me not want to put in the effort..... Anyone else feel this way?

30's working 51 hrs a week myself. My backlog is in the hundreds. Newer games don't seem to have a curve to me, many are downright insulting in how much they hold your hand. For me I try to look into how long the game is. Anything over 20 hours has to be something I really want to play.

I am super busy, but I have only played a few games this year. Mostly Soulsborne, Gwent, Witcher, and now Destiny 2. My backlog is 100s of games. Everytime I think "welp, time to get back into hollow knight," I just go downstairs and play Demons Souls.

When you're young you have all the time in the world to play games, but no money for them or hardware. When you're older you have money for games and hardware, but not time. Life can be a practical joke at times. :)

I only have 166 Steam games, and I probably played about a quarter, even though this could be an overestimate.

Ultimately, I end up playing just a few games for a very long time, the rest does not necessarily click with me, and waits there for another day, or someone else to try it out once I am gone. Have to put that Steam password somewere into the will :D

Back