Backlit gaming wired keyboards with "sleep" key?

Nerva72

Weaksauce
My gaming keyboard just died, and one thing I really didn't like about it was the lack of a sleep key like on standard keyboards. This wouldn't be a big deal if Microsoft gave us any sort of keyboard shortcut to activate sleep, but they don't -- if there's no sleep key, you have to do it with the GUI.

I've been looking through the gaming keyboards on Newegg and I'm not seeing anything yet that has a sleep key. It doesn't have to be a dedicated key -- I'm fine with something that uses a Fn combo -- indeed, a combo would prevent accidental activation of sleep mode.

I don't HAVE to have a "gaming" keyboard, because I don't play those sorts of games all that much, but I like them for their quality, mechanical keys. So I'd accept a non-gaming keyboard if it is backlit and has high quality mechanical keys that aren't obnoxiously loud. It also needs to be "full size" with a numeric keypad and F1-F12. I think "G-keys" are a waste of space, but I'll put up with them if I like the rest of the keyboard.

I don't want a bluetooth keyboard. I like Logitech's unifying technology, and really like their switching ability on things like the Triathlon Mouse, but I'm not seeing any keyboards from them that are what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nothing happens when I do Windows key + X. Once I hit U it brings up the accessibility screen. Hitting H at that point does nothing.

(I'm running Windows 7)

I don't know much about their keyboard line-up, but Logitech's SetPoint allows you to map the power key to sleep, hibernate, power down, etc. really easily.

Sounds like a Das Keyboard would work perfect for you. I use the non back lighted version at work and it has held up great. They also make a back lit version. It has a deducted sleep button, volume knob/media keys, is not loud when typing, and is quality.

I don't know much about their keyboard line-up, but Logitech's SetPoint allows you to map the power key to sleep, hibernate, power down, etc. really easily.
Which of their gaming keyboards have a power key? I was looking at them all yesterday and I definitely didn't see a sleep key, and I don't recall seeing a power key, but perhaps it is a Fn rather than a dedicated key? Their regular (non-gaming) keyboards have all sorts of special functions (I assume power and sleep are among them) but unfortunately those keyboards are garbage.

I did discover that Razer keyboards have sleep keys, so at least there's an option.

In my searching yesterday, I came across the old Microsoft Sidewinder X6, which has a number pad that can be moved to the right or left side of the keyboard -- I really like that feature, as putting the number pad on the left frees up more space for the mouse on the right -- I'm surprised that feature didn't catch on with any of the current gaming keyboard manufacturers. Too bad the X6 is out of production, and wasn't a mechanical keyboard in the first place.

Back