Backing up DVD-R

Wasnt sure were to put this..
Anyways, Ive got a DVD-R of some concert footage of a local band, I told the members Id make em all copies and went out and bought some DVD+R's. Ive backed up +RW's and +R's before with no problem but this -R is giving me all sorts of trouble, Ive tried 3 differnt programs and all of them get read errors at 99%. Ive tried copying it on two differnt machines also but I cant figure out whats wrong. IF anyone has any tips or reccomended programs on getting around this it would greatly be appreciated. The machine im trying to copy it from currently is a Media Box shuttle with an 8xLG DVD+RW/R/RAM drive. Should I maybe make an image first (ive tried once but to no avail). How would I go about it? Whats a good program (at a cheap cost) thats easy to make DVD images? Thanks again for any help!
EDIT: The programs Ive tried so far are DVD-X Copy and Nero Burning ROM. My brother tried it on a couple others (forget the names) and he had the same problem.

Originally posted by rive22
maybe your burner doesn't support -R rated discs.

Heh, that's what I was thinking too. I'm too lazy to search, but make sure your burner is a dual format drive.

Also, I'll second DVD Shrink as the program to use. DVD Decrypter is also great if you'd like to dump the files to your hard drive and make an image that way.

It supports -R discs, no problem. It IS a bit picky regarding the discs, so I'd suggest you get some quality -R media, like Maxell, TY or Fuji.

Thanks alot for all the help!, im pretty sure my brother has DVD Decryptor and tried using that and got read errors, ill give DVD Shrink a try today.

Ok just tried DVD Shrink and same thing, I selected the drive and it starts to read and about 10 seconds in it gets read error. I guess im SOL?

Back