backing up a 1tb terastation

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
A company I do some work for uses a 1tb buffalo terastation as their "server". basically just NAS device.They store everything on it, and the 3 computers that access it are on their own network with no internet, just the NAS and 3 computers.

What they want to do is backup the terastation every week to another terastation (exact same model and everything.

What software solution would be best for this?

Basically they want to clone one terastation to another on the same network every friday night.

I remember reading that those units use a basic linux kernel. Maybe look into setting a cron job up on the main unit and sync to the second unit. Rsync can be setup to perform an "incremental" copy/backup so that it only copies files that have changed. This should reduce the time it takes for the backup to run, especially if they have a lot of static data.

I was under the impression that the terastations had software built in to do this. One of are clients use to use one. I remember messing around with it before fixing something and thought I saw that option.

That client still uses it. It is a backup device for the server we put in.

I was under the impression that the terastations had software built in to do this.

Yes, they do. Just go to "browser management" in the software that came with the Terastation and set up a backup to another terastation. It's pretty straight forward. You can set it up to either backup to itself or to another Terastation. You'll just need the IP address to the other Tera.

Awesome, I will check that out. I didn't have any hands-on experience with the terastation so I will head over there this week and set it up for them.

Thanks for the replies.

He should have the "Client Utility" loaded to one of the PC's. If not, you'll have to install it. Or, just type the primary Teraserver's IP address into Internet Explorer and the username/password box will appear. It should be "admin/password" by default if noone has changed them. From the Client Utility, go to Setup -->Browser Management and type in username/password to access the Teraserver's settings. Once you're in, go to Backup -->Add Terastation. If it's connected, you should see it in your Terastation list. You'll have to make a shared folder on the backup Tera and then you can setup a Backup job and choose that folder for the destination.

Back