Back to the Horde - lil problem

Vegas P11

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, finally got time to start folding again after a few months off. I figured that there'd be a new client out so got 6.30 downloaded and ran the config with the smp flag but it seems to be only loading 1 core about 75% and the other 3 cores about 10%. If I recall bigadv should only be run on 80 logical cores correct? Any idead? New GPU3 client runs great on the 560 though.

Did you put a number after the smp flag, so -smp X? Also you have to run the -bigadv or -advmethods flag as well. Hopefully I'm not talking out of my butt. Not the most knowledgeable person here :p

Welcome back. :cool:

Minimum requirement is an 8 thread capable processor or combination of processors. Try using the -bigadv flag in addition to the -smp flag and let us know if anything changes. The -advmethods is not needed for -bigadv. It will just permit downloading of recently released beta WUs sooner to general recipients running the flag.

Hey all, finally got time to start folding again after a few months off. I figured that there'd be a new client out so got 6.30 downloaded and ran the config with the smp flag but it seems to be only loading 1 core about 75% and the other 3 cores about 10%. If I recall bigadv should only be run on 80 logical cores correct? Any idead? New GPU3 client runs great on the 560 though.

make sure you use the -smp flag in the shortcut or put it in the additional commands when you do the config for the client.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. It seems the smp flag wasn't sticking but I got it working now. Does the GPU3 client take such a big hit though? I was pulling 15k ppd on the 560ti now it's dropped to 1800 ppd. Weird, but this is part of the enjoyment of folding.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. It seems the smp flag wasn't sticking but I got it working now. Does the GPU3 client take such a big hit though? I was pulling 15k ppd on the 560ti now it's dropped to 1800 ppd. Weird, but this is part of the enjoyment of folding.
The GPU client process needs to have a higher priority level to access the CPU, otherwise it will drastically drop in performance.

The GPU client process needs to have a higher priority level to access the CPU, otherwise it will drastically drop in performance.

drastic would be a bit of an overstatement.. you really only lose 1-2k PPD on the gpu client between idle and low priority. but typically gain the loss back on the smp client.

but it dropping to 1800PPD is insanely low. might want to check your clocks on the card and make sure its not downclocking or anything.

Eh, seems that HFM was calculating all frames and my computer had some issues earlier in the day and it had stopped running, so it was using the downtime to calculate TPF. All resolved now. Thanks again guys.

I had that happen once.... almost pissed myself after an 8-hour power outage when my tpf on a 6900 was ~4 hours.

Back