Back On Ubuntu and Loving It

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
So I've been trying to switch to Linux for about 2 years of dual booting. I was on Ubuntu for about 6 months straight last year, and then went back to Win 10 for gaming.

Windows was bothering me for the usual reasons, so I was distro hopping for a bit. Tried KDE Neon (which was decent), Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and Manjaro XFCE, but I wasn't sold on them.

Ultimately, I went back and installed Ubuntu and I love it. Only took about 2 hours to get all my settings back, and it's been really smooth.

Probably will still boot into Windows here and there for certain games, but Ubuntu handles most things fine for what I'm doing. That was all.

Yeah, I really love all the customizations you can do on Linux. It really feels like you're in control of every aspect of the computer.

Back in the day I used to use LiteStep and some others on Windows XP to get a custom shell. That and all the WinAmp skins, good times.

Not sure you can really do that much with Win 10 these days, but I find Linux to be a breath of fresh air.

Windows has windowblinds etc options but they'll probably just end up breaking something when the next *forced* windoze update comes.

So I've been trying to switch to Linux for about 2 years of dual booting. I was on Ubuntu for about 6 months straight last year, and then went back to Win 10 for gaming.

Windows was bothering me for the usual reasons, so I was distro hopping for a bit. Tried KDE Neon (which was decent), Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and Manjaro XFCE, but I wasn't sold on them.

Ultimately, I went back and installed Ubuntu and I love it. Only took about 2 hours to get all my settings back, and it's been really smooth.

Probably will still boot into Windows here and there for certain games, but Ubuntu handles most things fine for what I'm doing. That was all.
I would run linux all day every day if it was a sure thing I could get my games to work. Its getting better, but still a pile of otherwise unnecessary work.

There is really no wrong answer for a distro. Every distro is just a starting point. Make your desktop/computer what you will of it.

This is something a lot of people just don't do when trying to switch from Windows and it's truly unfortunately.

People often forget the things in windows that annoy them the most. Like a missing feature, or a way to do things. Then they try Linux and either don't realise they can likely customize it to get over those hurdles, or they just want a drop in replacement (which then begs the question, why switch?).

Either way, I'm still running Windows 10 and Mint on my main PC and Ubuntu on all my servers.

I would run linux all day every day if it was a sure thing I could get my games to work. Its getting better, but still a pile of otherwise unnecessary work.
I keep one computer for games and run other OSes on all the rest. I have a Pentium G3258 overclocked and a Radeon 5870 that allows me to play WOT, WT etc if I'm bored and drunk. That 2 core 60 dollar CPU still pulls 60-100fps in WOT at high graphics setting.

I keep one computer for games and run other OSes on all the rest. I have a Pentium G3258 overclocked and a Radeon 5870 that allows me to play WOT, WT etc if I'm bored and drunk. That 2 core 60 dollar CPU still pulls 60-100fps in WOT at high graphics setting.

Here is something we can agree on. The g3258 is one of the most underrated CPU's in recent times. Overclocks to the moon, runs cool, and is comparable to my last gen Haswell i5 in non thread dependant tasks.

This is something a lot of people just don't do when trying to switch from Windows and it's truly unfortunately.

People often forget the things in windows that annoy them the most. Like a missing feature, or a way to do things. Then they try Linux and either don't realise they can likely customize it to get over those hurdles, or they just want a drop in replacement (which then begs the question, why switch?).

Either way, I'm still running Windows 10 and Mint on my main PC and Ubuntu on all my servers.
The amount of possible customization is really staggering.

Before swapping distro's you really should look at other options for software. You can install different file explorers, text editors, graphics tools, network tools, battery monitors, (this list may not actually end, so i'll stop here).

Main reason people want drop in replacement for windows i think is lack of control (over updates, security, etc.). Double edged sword, as with linux, with great power comes great responsibility. Sometimes its nice when other people look after it for you, even if they dont do a great job.

Pfft.

Check ProtonDB or Lutris.com to ensure the title you want to run is supported, download the game under Steam and launch under Proton - Even custom Proton builds like Glorious Eggroll's builds involve creating one folder and extracting the archive into it, I did similar things under Windows for certain titles back when I ran it.

In the case of Lutris: Install Lutris, download and execute the necessary runner to install the game. None of this is in any way hard.

Pfft.

Check ProtonDB or Lutris.com to ensure the title you want to run is supported, download the game under Steam and launch under Proton - Even custom Proton builds like Glorious Eggroll's builds involve creating one folder and extracting the archive into it, I did similar things under Windows for certain titles back when I ran it.

In the case of Lutris: Install Lutris, download and execute the necessary runner to install the game. None of this is in any way hard.
Wow that isn't any extra or unnecessary work at all. /S

I don't like these pissing contests but it is really NOT "work". I have 1 game out of all of mine that doesn't work currently on Linux which includes titles on Steam, GOG, Epic, and Uplay. They all worked with just an install and run. Borderlands 2 used to work but stopped for some reason, but I'm not playing it currently to bother troubleshooting it.

In Steam you just enable Proton in settings and done. All the other ones just worked with no other changes. Some games are known not to work well on Linux but I don't play those. YMMV

Wow that isn't any extra or unnecessary work at all. /S

Installing Lutris is extra work? It's about three lines of copy/paste (under KDE Neon it's two lines of copy/paste). If you want outright simplicity you should be gaming under Android, as I've done more than that getting games running properly under Windows. Under Steam you just install the game and run it, no different to Windows assuming it's compatible.

Last edited:
Back