Back in the [H]orde!!

MGMCCALLEY

[H]ard DCOTM SEP 16 / NOV 17
Greetings all,

Just wanted to say I've renewed my interest in F@H after a couple years hiatus. I've brought one of my 690 rigs back up and just ordered a 980 Ti SLI setup for gaming and folding, mostly folding. I needed a write-off and I can't think of a better cause.

I won't be OCing these guys, they're going to be in a rather small case. Rather the goal is to build a long-term efficient PPD/watt system that may put me over 1 million PPD. I know this goal has been easily reached by some of you, but it's a big step for me, and I haven't even considered investing this type of hardware since I nearly purchased a 4P rig for the same purpose. I'm kind of glad I didn't invest in 4P now that the BigAdv is dead, apologies for those of you who didn't invest in that early.

So I'm back where I belong, hoping soon to be a top contributor to the team. I see that a lot of our biggest folders have left the roost. I imagine the death of BigAdv had something to do with that. And I imagine that EVGA's bribes have carried a few away, too. I don't fold for that reason. I fold because it's a worthy cause, and in my opinion, one of the most sincere forms of charity work. It just happens to be our computer doing the work for us, and we working to pay it's bill. ;)

Happy to be back, hope to hear from some old friendly folks. And watch out top 100, here I come.

-Marshall

Welcome back McCalley. Yup a lot left when they shut down bigadv. Those 980Ti's will get you killer ppd and efficient too compared to team red. Unless I grab myself a 970 or 980 you'll be nipping on my heels soon if you fire up 2 of them. Guess I better clean off the rear view mirror ...

Hey, there's a friendly face. How's it going Toco? Yeah, I pulled the trigger last night just before posting. All of the hardware should be in by the end of the week. By winter I'll have two 690s and two 980 Tis folding pretty regular. Funny you said Team Red. The box itself is on a red theme.

This box:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353062

plus this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157601

plus these cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889

And even this mem:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233720

The irony is I didn't even catch on to the red theme until after I chose the motherboard and video cards. They were top rated in their categories, and then I noticed, so I got the case and memory to match. Not a lot of red power supplies, but a new Corsair 1,000 watt should do the trick and make sure I can upgrade if needs be. That little guy will be heating my office all Winter long. I might even get to game on it occasionally, hehe. But yeah, I was really impressed with the Maxwell architecture. Normally I'd buy the EVGA cards, actually, but they need to get a grip on their coil whine issues. A lot of unhappy gamers out there right now because of those issues. Really changed my opinion of EVGA's quality control.

Yeah, it's a shame about BigAdv, but as they say, "The only constant is change."

Game on, Taco, I'm heading your way. ;)

-MGM

Last edited:
Welcome back. I may fire up the 980's eventually this winter if power costs dont kill me. Same with the 2p's. But with the way donors were treated Im still Leary of given any resources PG's way....

Welcome back. I may fire up the 980's eventually this winter if power costs dont kill me. Same with the 2p's. But with the way donors were treated Im still Leary of given any resources PG's way....

BOINC BOINC BOINC

Hey, there's a friendly face. How's it going Taco? Yeah, I pulled the trigger last night just before posting. All of the hardware should be in by the end of the week. By winter I'll have two 690s and two 980 Tis folding pretty regular. Funny you said Team Red. The box itself is on a red theme.

This box:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353062

plus this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157601

plus these cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889

And even this mem:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233720

The irony is I didn't even catch on to the red theme until after I chose the motherboard and video cards. They were top rated in their categories, and then I noticed, so I got the case and memory to match. Not a lot of red power supplies, but a new Corsair 1,000 watt should do the trick and make sure I can upgrade if needs be. That little guy will be heating my office all Winter long. I might even get to game on it occasionally, hehe. But yeah, I was really impressed with the Maxwell architecture. Normally I'd buy the EVGA cards, actually, but they need to get a grip on their coil whine issues. A lot of unhappy gamers out there right now because of those issues. Really changed my opinion of EVGA's quality control.

Yeah, it's a shame about BigAdv, but as they say, "The only constant is change."

Game on, Taco, I'm heading your way. ;)

-MGM

Ahem "Toco", not Mexican. Nice stuff but you didn't list the CPU. I often go with EVGA as well but don't have any coil whine on the last 2 cards I bought. I will also buy MSI and their TwinFrozr is excellent. Gamed and folded 24/7 on a 560Ti TwinFrozr for 4 years 'til one of the fans started to make noise and didn't spin properly. Bearings probably went. Been itching for a 970 or 980 for awhile as I'd like to move up from 1200p to 1440p. Better do it before you catch me ;) Fold on!

Toco,

My apologies. I've corrected that in my previous post. And I didn't post CPU, because it's not RED, lol. Here's my proc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

Went with the 5820 because the PCI-E 3.0 X8 drop won't be causing any issues folding, and the micro board only has two usable PCI-E slots in the configuration I'm doing. Also, the OS will be on this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951...id=1440016385&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+m.2+ssd

I know it won't make much difference folding, but on the gaming/sequential data side it should make an impact, plus it means I don't have a single SATA cable in the whole rig if I don't want it, given that I won't have an optical drive because that case won't fit both it and the video cards. I've found I rarely use an optical drive these days anyway, and it more or less just gets in the way on smaller builds.

tjmagneto, DooKey, W.Feather,

Glad to see you guys are still active on the boards. I don't feel so alone anymore, hehe. With all the folders dropping off the charts I was worried that we had some mass exodus from [H]ard|Forum. I probably won't be as active as I used to be, but at least I get to contribute again. The free power situation I'm in now is definitely a bonus, but I've been meaning to get back into it anyway. Can't wait to start climbing the charts again. Parts come in Thursday/Friday except for the case, but I don't mind running it naked for a while.

Yeah, I've run some BOINC in the past. I do like the various projects available, but F@H has always held some nostalgia for me since I switched to it from Seti@Home about a decade ago. Heck, I remember folding on Pentium 3 and 4 single-cores, anybody else go back that far? :p

W.Feather, what do you mean by the way donors were treated? Are you talking about dropping BigAdv or something else I'm not aware of?

-M

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Toco,

My apologies. I've corrected that in my previous post. And I didn't post CPU, because it's not RED, lol. Here's my proc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

Went with the 5820 because the PCI-E 3.0 X8 drop won't be causing any issues folding, and the micro board only has two usable PCI-E slots in the configuration I'm doing. Also, the OS will be on this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951...id=1440016385&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+m.2+ssd

I know it won't make much difference folding, but on the gaming/sequential data side it should make an impact, plus it means I don't have a single SATA cable in the whole rig if I don't want it, given that I won't have an optical drive because that case won't fit both it and the video cards. I've found I rarely use an optical drive these days anyway, and it more or less just gets in the way on smaller builds.

tjmagneto, DooKey, W.Feather,

Glad to see you guys are still active on the boards. I don't feel so alone anymore, hehe. With all the folders dropping off the charts I was worried that we had some mass exodus from [H]ard|Forum. I probably won't be as active as I used to be, but at least I get to contribute again. The free power situation I'm in now is definitely a bonus, but I've been meaning to get back into it anyway. Can't wait to start climbing the charts again. Parts come in Thursday/Friday except for the case, but I don't mind running it naked for a while.

Yeah, I've run some BOINC in the past. I do like the various projects available, but F@H has always held some nostalgia for me since I switched to it from Seti@Home about a decade ago. Heck, I remember folding on Pentium 3 and 4 single-cores, anybody else go back that far? :p

W.Feather, what do you mean by the way donors were treated? Are you talking about dropping BigAdv or something else I'm not aware of?

-M

Yep I folded on old P4 3.06 GHz hence the 65K+ WU's and just like you switched from SETI@home to fold for the [H]orde back in 2004. Restarted SETI and a couple BOINC projects for the [H]orde on an old laptop recently too but primary power goes to FAH. Gonna make some popcorn and grab some cold ones while you catch up ...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome back.

Not all of us left, I just shutdown most of my CPUs as they were really not worth the trouble. With two 980tis you'll even be a threat to me, and handily dislodge me from the #2 folder on the team.

John

Welcome back.

Not all of us left, I just shutdown most of my CPUs as they were really not worth the trouble. With two 980tis you'll even be a threat to me, and handily dislodge me from the #2 folder on the team.

John

That #2 spot is mine once I get my 3rd rig back up:D

Man, I remember when nobody could touch FLECOM. Now he's 62 on the list and I'll eventually pass him. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort he once placed on F@H.

I found an old announcement from when he hit 40 million:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1215647

8 years ago to the month. I can't even imagine what it took to get 40 million back then. Now, a couple of video cards and less than a year's time will get you the same number. I guess I feel lucky our inflation isn't as bad as point depreciation in folding, hehe.

Third Rig? These days I only run two. This winter I might get some GPU cycles from my son's rig.

I've had 3 rigs for about 3 years now, not always fired up but after a lean spell I'm slowly working back up to full steam ahead

What are intel 1366 xeon 2p making now a days any way?.

About 50-60k PPD on SMP for a pair of x5670's, not sure about the L5640's anymore as they are all gone but they were around 40-45k last time I ran one.

About 50-60k PPD on SMP for a pair of x5670's, not sure about the L5640's anymore as they are all gone but they were around 40-45k last time I ran one.

For comparison that's what I typically get on a GTX750 for virtually no power draw. The more the merrier for the [H]orde tho, fire 'em up

For comparison that's what I typically get on a GTX750 for virtually no power draw. The more the merrier for the [H]orde tho, fire 'em up

I know, hence the reason I retired all my 1366 rigs. The points aren't bad but at 300w from the wall its a no no. Even my 2p ivy bridge xeon rigs can only get 200k at most. Good thing I bought a 970 to boost the points!

That's still the same then.

Such craziness that makes it hard to justify the power bills.

@MGMCCALLEY

I see that your schwartz is bigger than mine.....

@MGMCCALLEY

I see that your schwartz is bigger than mine.....

Haha, LOVE that movie.

Well, an update. That case was entirely too small for two 980 Tis. It's not so much that the case couldn't have worked, but MSI didn't really think anyone would sandwich two of those cards right next to each other. The top card quickly overheated from being so close to the card under it that the fans actually almost touched the backplate of the second card. It was able to pull some air, but quickly reached peak temp and throttled the card to about 40% of it's rated speed. No good for folding. So I pulled the second card and put it in my Ark game server and let it chunk away there. It's a 6-core, and doesn't need all that power for Ark, so it's easily driving the 980 Ti. HUGE variance in Core 18 PPD, but the cards are running on average between 450 and 520k PPD each when I look at them, and that's stock settings. Being pre-overclocked, I'm not sure I'll push them much harder. In another month or so I'll start up the other 690, they're still pulling about 150k each, and worth about the 250-300 watts they pull to get it in my opinion.

Eventually I'll sell Boxanne (named after all of the red coloration and lighting, anybody get the reference?) to a gamer customer, likely around Christmas when I get my rush of holiday customers, but in the meantime she'll be pushing me into the top spots. My overall on the Stanford web site has me jumping about 50 spots to 1,408 in just a few days. Think I'll make top 100 by Christmas?

I see that someone has the hammer down, time for an addition to the pack I think.

One GTX 960 en route to a folding box near me!:D

Man, I remember when nobody could touch FLECOM. Now he's 62 on the list and I'll eventually pass him. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort he once placed on F@H.

I found an old announcement from when he hit 40 million:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1215647

8 years ago to the month. I can't even imagine what it took to get 40 million back then. Now, a couple of video cards and less than a year's time will get you the same number. I guess I feel lucky our inflation isn't as bad as point depreciation in folding, hehe.

it took 800 installs of the single cpu client (no smp client at the time) on 400 pentium d workstations...

it took 800 installs of the single cpu client (no smp client at the time) on 400 pentium d workstations...

Good Lord! Did you own all of those? My first folding was on P3s and P4s as well, but I only had two at the time, and two HP Proliant Servers that I ran at half load as they chugged away as domain controllers. If you didn't own them, whoever did was very generous letting you fold on them. I did the math once to figure out how many of the machines I had it would take to equal your folding points. All I remember is that it was in the hundreds and I just imagined the room large enough to hold that box farm. It took some imagination. I kind of disagree with the way the points system has bloated, but at the same time it might very well be proportional. That, I have not done the math on.

Thanks for sticking around FLECOM, your contribution to the cause has always been welcome.

Good Lord! Did you own all of those? My first folding was on P3s and P4s as well, but I only had two at the time, and two HP Proliant Servers that I ran at half load as they chugged away as domain controllers. If you didn't own them, whoever did was very generous letting you fold on them. I did the math once to figure out how many of the machines I had it would take to equal your folding points. All I remember is that it was in the hundreds and I just imagined the room large enough to hold that box farm. It took some imagination. I kind of disagree with the way the points system has bloated, but at the same time it might very well be proportional. That, I have not done the math on.

Thanks for sticking around FLECOM, your contribution to the cause has always been welcome.

no they were not mine, but I had permission

when the SMP client came out I had a small farm of dedicated boxes running, then a small GPU farm

unfortunately while I would love to participate in DC projects again I just don't have the resources at my disposal anymore

no they were not mine, but I had permission

when the SMP client came out I had a small farm of dedicated boxes running, then a small GPU farm

unfortunately while I would love to participate in DC projects again I just don't have the resources at my disposal anymore

FLECOM,

You don't need to prove anything man. You led by example for years. You inspired so many people with your efforts. I'm just glad you're still active on the forums. Now you're helping new generations of folders and other DC projects, and that's just awesome. I was scraping up funds for years trying to fold more, but the best I could do was a decent video card. I just had a great year for my business, which is the only reason I can invest more in the project. That, and because someone else is paying the electric bill.

I and everyone else here and in other forums all know how much work you put into this project. And we thank you.

-Marshall

I see that someone has the hammer down, time for an addition to the pack I think.

One GTX 960 en route to a folding box near me!:D

I get 130-180K ppd on my 960SSC but McCalley has really ratched it up and is back on page 1 - top 100 [welcome back McCalley]. Hmm, have wobbly pops but no popcorn. Guess I'll have to duck out and get some ... (no tamales up north)

Page 1 is my home.... been there for many years now.

Those 960s are a good bang for the buck, but I am holding out for this fall when I will have some extra cash. gonna get me some of that 980ti goodness.

Well I have a 970 folding away already, but my local etailer knocked £50 off the price of the 960 Stryx so I couldn't refuse.

The box will take 2 more cards on top of the 960 and 970 but I need a bigger psu so that probably won't happen - but you never know, it will make a fitting end to one of my BA rigs - pumping out more ppd than it ever did running BA units - lol

I just turned on my other 690. I wonder if I'll make top of the heap for one day? Is it time for a rally? I wonder if we can beat last winter's scores.

the 970 is showing 250-310k PPD, using about 140w under folding load, the 960 is getting 130-150k using about 80w under folding load.

Total system draws 330w from the wall.

I need to look at the 960 as it should be doing better than that.

To compare - my Ivy based 24c/48t 2p's can only manage 210k on a good day for 278w from the wall, so the gpu's are much more efficient

Very Nice! I just bought a 960 and might get either another 960 or a 970.

With the newest nV driver (like 355.11 beta) you can even see the power draw as value, my 970 most of the time above 150W with peaks over 160W.. I love those 970 cards.

Last edited:
once long ago we had a database of cards and CPUs measured in PPD per watt, or PPDPW. I think the 970 is the current king of affordable PPDPW. The 980s and Titans might be better, but at what price?

I just checked Newegg and hoverhound. 980s seem to be around $500 and up, 970s $350 max with many close to $300. 960s are around $250 and lower.

Back