BACK! 500GB 7200.9 (boxed) $120 shipped @ Frys

I'm so stocked with 500's... when are they going to toss the 750's up on sale :D

Instore or online only?

I just checked the add in the paper for my local Fry's and it lists this deal. So B&M or online.

Are these actually 7200.10's in hiding like some of the other deals?

Yea, is there something to look for on the box to secure a 7200.10?

Thanks guys! Probably pick one of these up.

This same deal was going on in the brick and motar too.. I went in early today and picked up 3.

here's the ad for bay area B&M, YMMV

500gbmk6.gif

I did look into this before. Fry's online has a pretty good chance of shipping 7200.10's, though they advertise 7200.9. Besides the forum anecdotal references, I'm 2/2 on 7200.10s, but they were both 400GB drives and not 500.

Fry's instore.. I checked Sunnyvale on Arques three weeks ago and spent ten minutes poking around their HD section. The 7200.9 and 7200.10 have two different serial numbers - ST3400633AS for 7200.9 16MB cache and ST3400620AS for the 7200.10 16MB cache (8MB cache is -820AS). The number's printed on the bottom of the box, AFAIK. None of the boxes at Fry's Arques, Micro Center, or Best Buy (BB and MC both didn't even really carry much Seagate stock) were -620AS, they were all -633AS.

One thing I didn't look into was if sometimes 7200.10 drives are inside boxes labeled with the 7200.9 serial number, but I kinda doubt it. I'm going to look around for my 7200.10 boxes and see if they were marked as such..

when i got in on the 400gb deal, i got boxes with model numbers of non 7200.x series drives, and i got .10's inside the box. even though there was no mention made of perpendicular recording on the site, or the box.

These 500 gig drives keep dropping in price every week, practically. If it keeps up, pretty soon they'll be giving them away. I'll take ten.

If anyone in Phx gets these locally please report back as to if they are .9 or .10

thanks

I got one, I'll let you guys know in a couple days if it's 7200.9 or 7200.10.... I'm really hoping for .10 though... so far this is the only HDD in my new rig!

We've got a server at work that has 10 250's in it. Can anybody recommend 7200.10's for server usage. Or should I say forget it and wait for some of the ES's to go on sale.

:(

Just got back from B&M Frys. They're 7200.9s. Shoot. Ah well, I bought it for speed, not capacity. Just FYI, the model number is:

ST3500641AS-RK

:(

Just got back from B&M Frys. They're 7200.9s. Shoot. Ah well, I bought it for speed, not capacity. Just FYI, the model number is:

ST3500641AS-RK

what's the real world difference between the two? I plan on just stuffing them into an unRAID server.

.10 is perpendicular = better/faster.

what's the real world difference between the two? I plan on just stuffing them into an unRAID server.

There's the answer, just a few short replies before.
Go to tomshardware.com to the hard drive comparison sheet if you want to see "real-world" comparisons of the two models

Well this is over, but Frys.com shipped 7200.10's. I love you fry's!! I would definitely order next time they had a barracuda sale online. Screw instore sales!

Good deal indeed. I scored 2 7200.10 last time around and they are very nice drives indeed.:)

I can't say I'm a fan of OEM drives from Newegg. They're notorious for poor packing/shipping.

I get my oem's from Provantage. They do the whole 1" of foam in every direction thing. Some of the best packaging I've ever seen.

I can't say I'm a fan of OEM drives from Newegg. They're notorious for poor packing/shipping.

Maybe I got the good packers, but all my OEM stuff came well shipped, lots of bubble wrap around my DVD drives. My OEM CPU was safely tucked in a little white box with my AS5 wrapped in bubble wrap. I was pleased, nothing was even iffy when I pulled it out of the box.

Back