Back 4 Blood from Turtle Rock Studios

My buddies and I are currently stuck at the map right before Act 4. Looks like an EVAC camp but is filled with zombies and specials and all are exploding or poison dropping..

We took a step back and started replaying the earlier stages to get more cards and supply points.

But yeah, bring +3 friends because bots suck and console jockeys you get forced to group with also suck.

Last edited:
So far really enjoying the game, don't really understand the to close to L4D2 complaint, its similar but more with better randomization of events and a player upgrade path. You have plenty of QOL improvements like ADS, perk system, store, and less hold the horde while collecting 5 of X item before leaving. I wonder how many people complaining have played L4D2 in the last few years, I have and its definately a dated game with dated mechanics. Seems like all anyone is ever satisfied with is the next rainbow vomit fortnight/warzone/apex BR slopefest, nostalgia glasses beat everything else.

I do agree that the servers are poor for this type of game and thats a solid blow against it. I also heard it has no vs mode, which is another blow but one that is easy to fix, iirc L4D2 didn't launch with versus but had it patched in at some point (could be wrong, its been a while since that game launched).

Being able to permanently keep select weapons and swap/remove mods would be nice.

A wider variety of locations would also help a lot.

Being able to permanently keep select weapons and swap/remove mods would be nice.

A wider variety of locations would also help a lot.
Ya the weapon thing is my main complaint. Let me remove mods, I don’t need a shotgun with an acog and it’s a crapshoot if the shop will have another scope available at the next checkpoint.

I kinda liked how WWZ handled weapons. You bought persistent upgrades per weapon model and then if you found that gun out in the world it would have your preferred loadout. Not realistic but it felt good upgrading weapons.

20211021091052_1.jpg

Back 4 Toliet paper
safe rooms are good for bathroom breaks in RL.

20211021095727_1.jpg

You get swamped at this church if you don't kill key ridden end of Act 2 we failed it the 1st time around easy to do.
I wish the Cut scenes were longer I suppose people just skip them anway.

My problem with the beta is that the horde popped.

I mean to say, shooting the enemy was like shooting balloons full of paint. Neither the shooting nor the guns had much realism in them. Which normally wouldn't bug me at all, but it was unbelievable to the point of seeming cartoonish, while at the same time, was dark and gritty, and so I really had a hard time getting into the game.

Do the baddies still pop when you prick them?

The Guns are really realistic since the Beta someone said it's COD Left for Dead which is pretty accurate. They could clean it up and add some fun DLC with this game the DLC could be awesome if there is a fan base when it releases the core game to be cemented and taken serious. There is a starting area that is pretty complex when waiting to sync in the game. I haven't played ACT 3 just spent about 2 1/2 hours in ACT 2. You can use a Shotgun and aim isn't as important unless your friendly fire but that is pretty forgiving you don't do much damage to the other players.

It's a fun game I tired it on both 24.5" VA ASUS TUF monitor and I took out my old ASUS ROG 2016 SWIFT 27" I went back to the 24.5 " ASUS VA. the problem I had with the 27" all I could see was the GUN I was using at 2K I think a 4K monitor would be better smaller and everything would be more compact but I see more of the game on the 24.5" There is alot of movement in this game because the Ridden attack from all sides so playing on something really big would drive the nausea nuts out of someone.

Last edited:
Yeah, my team scooted around and spotted all the snitches before then killed two at a time - 2 guys on one and 2 guys on another (simultaneous shots), then we ran back down to the entrance and fought off the resulting swarms from there. Then rinse and repeat - went back up to do the remaining 2 snitches on the other side.

Yeah, my team scooted around and spotted all the snitches before then killed two at a time - 2 guys on one and 2 guys on another (simultaneous shots), then we ran back down to the entrance and fought off the resulting swarms from there. Then rinse and repeat - went back up to do the remaining 2 snitches on the other side.

I wasn't familiar with the level lol it can be bad if a few people are tied up on one side of the Church or just downed.

The Guns are really realistic since the Beta someone said it's COD Left for Dead which is pretty accurate.

My problem wasn't with the firearms, which, yeah, were actually really well done, but the gunshots. The zombies seemed to all explode violently with the least amount of contact.

Gonna buy this as soon as I beat FC6. You all have personal friends you're grouping up with or discord groups or what? That's always my problem with coop games, having people to play with lol.

Game is still going strong on Steam lots of people playing more popular than Left for Dead 2 currently.

Game is still going strong on Steam lots of people playing more popular than Left for Dead 2 currently.
For the life of me I can't ever get a good server in this game. I don't live somewhere weird either, and i'm on gig fiber. I'm wondering if I need to turn off crossplay so i'm not getting console servers/players.

I'm always teamed up with X-BOX people and PC people in the game matchmaking can take a very long time. Maybe people are playing ACT 2 and Act 3 instead of ACT 1 now but I don't think there is much difference. You can wait between 5-20 minutes for a match.

I'm always teamed up with X-BOX people and PC people in the game matchmaking can take a very long time. Maybe people are playing ACT 2 and Act 3 instead of ACT 1 now but I don't think there is much difference. You can wait between 5-20 minutes for a match.
I get matches. The issue is that the matches generally are a lag fest for what is supposed to be a twitchy shooter game. Hell, even COD generally runs better.

20211021100840_1.jpg

Story sucks but who cares

20211028062835_1.jpg

Lots of Crows in Act 4 pretty easy not to startle them in Recruit.

Found a Match with Bots in like 2 minutes they must of patched it but I wish it was with real players because I didn't have a tool kit on me.

I'm finally starting to put some time into this game. Honestly, I think the scope of the game is a little bit off. Instead of having a dozen really good levels, they gave us like 30 that get pretty repetitious. I'm playing through the campaign with bots so I get a feel for the objectives. I don't want to be "that guy" getting my team killed because I'm clueless in a real game. Feels like the game just keeps going and going and only 1 out of every 3-4 levels is actually different. Some are straight-up deja vu from earlier levels. It's still mindless fun, but IMO they needed an editor. Trim about 1/2 the levels and polish the good ones.

The first update rolled out today and they actually renamed the current single-player campaign to "training." That's basically what it is, so I guess that's appreciated. Still, I don't know why they handicapped it in the first place. Are they that afraid of people getting achievements and unlocks offline?

I'm finally starting to put some time into this game. Honestly, I think the scope of the game is a little bit off. Instead of having a dozen really good levels, they gave us like 30 that get pretty repetitious. I'm playing through the campaign with bots so I get a feel for the objectives. I don't want to be "that guy" getting my team killed because I'm clueless in a real game. Feels like the game just keeps going and going and only 1 out of every 3-4 levels is actually different. Some are straight-up deja vu from earlier levels. It's still mindless fun, but IMO they needed an editor. Trim about 1/2 the levels and polish the good ones.
They need Valve looking over there shoulder, is what you're saying ;)

I finally finished this last night. It was fun but I think I’ll be done with it soon as I don’t want to grind out a veteran worthy deck or two.

Never had problems with lag and I live in the middle of Canada which means I usually ping in the 60-80 range and this game was similar. Worst thing to deal with was the console randoms leaving their mic open while talking to someone else in the room for the whole match. Luckily you can mute.

I absolutely hit a wall with the final level before the end boss, the Body Dump. I'm playing with the AI bots, but man is that level rough. I don't think I even died a single time making it there, but I'm like 0-8 on this level. I even rolled in with a totally maxed out shotgun, but I find myself constantly surrounded and getting caught/dragged/webbed/burned/etc. I know where the pods are and how to use the grenades to weaken things, but it barely seems to matter.

I absolutely hit a wall with the final level before the end boss, the Body Dump. I'm playing with the AI bots, but man is that level rough. I don't think I even died a single time making it there, but I'm like 0-8 on this level. I even rolled in with a totally maxed out shotgun, but I find myself constantly surrounded and getting caught/dragged/webbed/burned/etc. I know where the pods are and how to use the grenades to weaken things, but it barely seems to matter.
yeah that was rough, two of us did it but not without retries. The AI is so bad in this game.

Ya the Act 3 finale is pretty rough. I tried it with randoms and failed. I expected to fail again with 2 friends and a random but we managed to get past it. It would be tough with bots as you have to keep tossing those grenades as often as possible and I doubt the bots would be smart enough to do that.

I still can't beat it, but I've gotten relatively close. Sometimes the game throws the kitchen sink at you and sometimes it doesn't. The times I've gotten close, the game wasn't spawning as many enemies that grab/entangle your team and I was able to keep moving.
Seems the developers even acknowledge that, although I didn't encounter anything THAT crazy up until this level.
https://kotaku.com/back-4-blood-devs-say-the-game-is-far-more-difficult-th-1848054870
While waiting for an update, I'll probably just give it a try every day or two and keep my fingers crossed.

My buddies and I made it to the last map (for the first time) this past weekend before we wiped.

We'll go back at it again sometime this week but from watching a youtube video (to learn some kinda strategy) - we're basically one map away from the ending so no hurry really. Hopefully the DLC (whenever they come out) will expand on the base game a decent amount.

Back 4 Blood   12_3_2021 12_46_03 PM.png

I failed this run with Bots was near the End but now I know the map anyway which is pretty drawn out.

In general, the last chapter is pretty rough. I breezed through the first 90% of the game with the bots. The last 5-6 levels are way tougher than anything before them. Mainly just due to the sheer number of special infected with armor and/or status effects like fire.
I'm just going to wait for the December update before I try the last level again. It's frustrating when 3/4 of the time your screen is flooded with OP'd enemies that instantly incapacitate you and 1/4 of the time you actually have a chance.

The game now counts all of your progress with bots as actual in-game progress. I got like 20 achievements and a boatload of goodies when I fired it up this morning. Hopefully I'll have time to try the Body Dump level again over the weekend.

I finally managed to complete the Body Dump only to run into a similar wall with the final level. The developers seem to think that loading your screen with so much garbage that you can barely even see is a good challenge. That level adds instakill tentacles to the mix, too.

Last edited:
Whew, finally managed to finish the final level. It's every bit as rough as the Body Dump. 3 phases of screen-filling chaos, especially the second phase. Plus, the boss is spongy as hell.
I did notice that the game wasn't applying my custom card deck, which helped. By that point you should have a pile of good cards. The difficulty spike for those final levels is just plain weird. The game goes from moderate difficulty to insane with no warning.

I'll probably never play the final chapters again, at least sans real people to help. I feel like a team of real people would probably each carry 3 grenades, which would majorly shorten that awful second phase.

yeah, the final chapters are pain in the ass without the right cards and shitty teammates, im always the only pc player grouped with consoles.

I've been playing with a pad the entire time, so I'm basically playing like I'm on a supercharged console. The game has auto-aim, but it seems to only apply to certain enemies and when looking down the sights. I actually noticed it for the first time when facing those damned tentacles on the final level. When you're just running around town fighting normal enemies, it doesn't seem to be in effect. That's probably for the best considering the sheer number of enemies.

With Back 4 Blood, they spent too much time/effort creating maps instead of adding polish to what they had. L4D wasn't a particularly large game and that's one reason it worked. People learned every nook and cranny (on both sides, both survivors and infected) and it led to strategies developing quickly. With B4B there are so damn many levels that most people don't touch the latter 75% of the game more than once.
B4B scratched the L4D itch for the most part, but also felt like the devs cut corners and went ham in the wrong areas.

Back