Back 4 Blood from Turtle Rock Studios

Stability with this beta was atrocious. After trying more than a few times to get it to actually not freeze, it kicked me less than 5 minutes into the first successful game (which was admittedly inundated with lag) straight to a survey. I can't speak much to the gameplay. Player movement is too slow for my tastes, but the shooting seems fine, what little I got to even do. Not worth the trouble of figuring out why it freezes so randomly, so uninstalled it gets.

20210808141511_1.jpg

20210808140433_1.jpg

Maps are pretty nice the horde is sped up anyway which is one of my complaints with the Alpha when the Horde comes at you opening a door or breaking a pus pod better be ready. I was playing on easy mode though some areas are dark your characters have flashlights in order to see which is ok if you know where your going. Pro tip is finding the medicine Cabinets for healing you can heal like x3 times when you find one. The crosshairs for the guns are pretty ugly when not looking though a scope though not sure if you can turn them off in settings. Is the game fun well it's about fun as Left for Dead 2 if you played it today.

Last edited:
If this game came out before Left for Dead people would say Left for Dead sucks =)
If Valve made this game people would like it. I mean people still play CSGO.

Well it certainly isn't optimized to run on APUs just yet. 25-35 FPS at 720p with things turned down. Weird input lag, too. Gonna twist the knobs, settings-wise, but I don't have high expectations. The same machine has no problems playing Skyrim and WWZ with medium-to-low settings. L4D2 will run at a locked 60 FPS with everything cranked up, but that shouldn't surprise people about AMD APUs anymore.

And it does look better than L4D2, although it's also a little more ... comic-book-like? The gore is over the top and heavily saturated.
Are you using the Neo? I havent gave it a shot yet on my Win 3.

How is the performance with this game? Anybody running at 4K maxed out?
Game runs beautifully. Seemed to be doing 4K ultra @ 60fps, Quality DLSS, on my wife's 3700X + RTX 3060 rig. Trying to do more scientific analysis right now, but the beta servers are offline.

Looks like your average co-op zombie looter shooter glorified around L4D with better graphics. I've played enough of this kind of games just to uninstall them after 10-20 minutes. Unoriginal and cringe-worthy. From what I can tell, the voice acting and the music on the trailers of the Steam page are bad. I'll pass this and keep waiting for Vanguard.

Also, this company has failed what was a great game, Evolve. What they have done to that game alone should make you stay away from paying $60 to this title.

Looks like your average co-op zombie looter shooter glorified around L4D with better graphics. I've played enough of this kind of games just to uninstall them after 10-20 minutes. Unoriginal and cringe-worthy. From what I can tell, the voice acting and the music on the trailers of the Steam page are bad. I'll pass this and keep waiting for Vanguard.

Also, this company has failed what was a great game, Evolve. What they have done to that game alone should make you stay away from paying $60 to this title.
If a game company was judged on one bad game they made, there wouldn't be any left.

I played the game, voice acting is fine. Its a zombie shooter, for people that like zombie shooters, its a great game.

Game wasn't bad, but what they have done with it was horrible. Making you pay for DLC that only appeared after the game completely died, and killing it off while doing that stuff. Making it F2P, and suck more. These business practices only show you the mentality of this company. Evolve was an amazing game and it did the "jungle" theme that some people wanted quite a bit very well. Shame on them.

This game is good.. But clearly the devs didnt play there own L4D1 and L4D2 games to understand why it was fun. It was because of the Campaign Versus. This game will not be a day1 and is not worth 60$. 30$ max...

Put 10 hours into beta, will not be buying at full price, $30 game tops, that being said it runs very nicely on my setup.

As others have said i have very little trust in this developer after evolve, will wait and see i guess

It was because of the Campaign Versus.

For me is was because of realism and higher difficulties. Left 4 Dead was a lot of great things to a lot of people, and it's still around.

Saying they have big shoes to fill is an understatement.

For the people that played both the Alpha and Beta - were there significant changes? Is melee and different/better? How about the card system?

This game is good.. But clearly the devs didnt play there own L4D1 and L4D2 games to understand why it was fun. It was because of the Campaign Versus. This game will not be a day1 and is not worth 60$. 30$ max...
Vs. was fun but i felt over rated, much preferred playing on the hardest difficulties and working together to beat the ai director, game had many butt clenching moments.

I played with some buddies as well as some PUGs and here are somethoughts from the Beta with Chapter 1 and 4.

Pro
- Looks good
- Fun with friends
- Zombies
- Lots of guns
- Lots of mods for said guns

CON (ranging from annoying / quirky to just plain bad)
- Birds mechanic
- Shared loot
- Shared bullets
- Loot is active even when mobs are out, so PUGs can lead to bad players who run around looting while the rest of the team is fighting.
- In game gun / ammo store only works if everyone hits OK or ACCEPT when you are in the safehouse. Play it if you don't know what I mean. I had buddies go AFK to bio or refill drinks and we had to keep yelling to click whatever before they walked off.

Would I buy it? Yes.
Would I buy it for $60+? No.

In its current state I'm recommending all of my buddies to get it via XBOX Game Pass for PC. Drop the $9.99 or whatever and play it for the month. Then keep paying or dump it at the end of the month.

Game wasn't bad, but what they have done with it was horrible. Making you pay for DLC that only appeared after the game completely died, and killing it off while doing that stuff. Making it F2P, and suck more. These business practices only show you the mentality of this company. Evolve was an amazing game and it did the "jungle" theme that some people wanted quite a bit very well. Shame on them.
I mean, yes, the DLC and other stuff was complete bullshit, but that wasn't the only issue that Evolve had. The biggest problem it had was that every match turned into a Benny Hill-esque chase in circles around the map until the monster hit level 3. The concept of the game was great, the execution not so much.

The game everyone thinks is Overpriced =)
Yeah I want dat Back 4 Blood Beta the price is right.

Played the open beta a bit, not overly impressed. I don't really see what this does over L4D2 besides graphics and a bit better weapon variety. Not enough to get me to pay much for it.

It also took a long time to get in a game which is pretty inexcusable if the main idea is going to be matchmaking.

Played the open beta a bit, not overly impressed. I don't really see what this does over L4D2 besides graphics and a bit better weapon variety.

That's exactly what it looks like to me too. Even graphically it looks several years dated. If it was $29.99 I'd still be interested.

Basically a l4d halfway reskin

It actually has a lot of mechanical improvements, and they're a lot deeper than anything L4D ever had.

However, it's a lot more basic in gameplay, and so it doesn't matter how well you play the game, you're at the mercy of the mechanics.

I think they're working in the wrong direction, but that doesn't mean it's not something that can be corrected.

game wouldnt launch for me until i dumped the 471.68 nvidia drivers
It works for me on those drivers, though I did get some weird graphical artifacts on occasion. Presumably the game itself since I don't have that issue in any other title.

Just played the BETA, seems quite bland and overhyped, was expecting fast paced gameplay like L4D but apparently not. Bit disappointed with it and will not be purchasing the game at full price.

However the game was well optimized and ran well on my setup at 4K with everything maxed out.

Hearing Adam Jensen's voice in the opening area just made me upset. It's like that guy needed to find other voice work because we're probably not going to see another Deus Ex game for a long time. 😭

Played for a few hours and it's a hard pass for me unfortunately.
Dunno what I was expecting tbh, but it sure as hell isn't this jumble of cards, in-game store for weapons, "copper" currency, etc.

Probably sounds dumb but B4B is too "gamey" for me; L4D1 was perfect immersion and I played that for 1000s of hours. I played L4D2 mostly at LANs and such since it already veered more into the "party-game" direction for me visually and gameplay-wise. I'll continue to stick to playing L4D1 w/ friends and sometimes L4D2.

Hearing Adam Jensen's voice in the opening area just made me upset. It's like that guy needed to find other voice work because we're probably not going to see another Deus Ex game for a long time. 😭

He's in Mechwarrior 5 as part of the storyline.

Anyway, as others have said B4B is a $30 game at best. The bot AI means you're going to want a solid group to run with at anything beyond easy/normal level. $60 for the base game and up to $100 for ultimate is just being greedy by the devs/publisher.

I found the Left 4 Dead games to be pretty lackluster and boring. So far, what I've seen from this looks about the same. It's unfortunate as I was hoping this one would be better.

Two weeks from now I played the Alpha and Beta the Beta levels were alot better.
Since Darktide is delayed till next year and I'm too scared to buy New World.

Back 4 Blood- Launch Trailer

Minimum:

CPU: Intel i5-6600 (3.3 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (3.4 GHz)
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 570
Storage: 40GB HDD
DirectX12

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 (2.8 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6 GHz)
RAM: 12GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 590
Storage: 40GB SDD
DirectX12

Game is live today for the Deluxe Edition or Ultimate 4 day early access.

UPDATE: The Back 4 Blood Early Access start time and release date has been scheduled for Thursday, October 7

Last edited:
Just picked it up 24 gig download the DLX edition has all the future DLC so does the Ultimate.
Game just went live

I wasn’t planning to get this but since it is on Game Pass Day 1 I’ll give it a try at least.

Back