Back 4 Blood from Turtle Rock Studios

I have registered but haven't received a key. If anyone has an extra one I'd love to try it out. Thanks.

Screenshot_20201217-071637_Email.jpg

Anyone get the game to download?
I get error messages
Nada here. The game directory is empty except a text file and it tells me it's unavailable in my region (the US). I tried to verify the files a couple times. Once it listed the number of files as 200'ish, but usually it just says that 2 files were verified.

I have the files and it runs, but it won't let me sign in to actually play anything yet. It says "Hydra is in maintenance mode" and just prompts me to try again or exit.

I registered but still no key. Would love an invite if you have one.

Getting "Failed to sign in, Hydra is in maintenance mode". =/

Music and title screen is very L4D :D

...Hail Hydra! <O/

Downloading...have to finish half a day's work ASAP.

Get ready for some half-assed copy!

I just played a match and enjoyed myself. I kept running out of ammo, but then again - I didn't really have much of a chance to figure out how the items and whatnot worked.
It's everything I figured it would be based on what I experienced. For a "pre-alpha" it felt pretty polished to me.
I probably won't get another crack at it until tonight, but my initial experience was positive.

I just played a match and enjoyed myself. I kept running out of ammo, but then again - I didn't really have much of a chance to figure out how the items and whatnot worked.
It's everything I figured it would be based on what I experienced. For a "pre-alpha" it felt pretty polished to me.
I probably won't get another crack at it until tonight, but my initial experience was positive.
Lucky, I think the matchmaker is down now. I can't connect.

First Impressions,

Played for about an hour, Its fun! Gun battles are intense. No melee for weapon. Nice inventory system. You can also collect "copper" to purchase items in safe rooms.

You can carry Melee weapon in your inventory. Healing is the same as L4D. You can drop healing and other supplies. Game seems a bit stiff though with movements. Not as refined as L4D but it's an Alpha.

There are story elements like in L4D were you come upon camps and objectives.

Crows work like witches, if you disturb them they call a hoard.

Will be playing more tonight.

Last edited:
Mine loaded up fine, don't have time to play at the moment will get into this tonight.

If I have time after work I'm going to try both KB/M and a pad. I played the original two with an Xbox controller and did just fine, although aiming at 720p vs. 4K is pretty different. I wish I wasn't stuck working for another 4 hours as I'm pretty eager to play more. For a pre-alpha, it was in better shape than a lot of normal game releases. Including a pretty high-profile recent one...

World War Z was the last zombie co-op game I played maybe 6 matches I like the characters but the Zombie horde was a mess.

Anyone have an extra key/invite they can give me? I registered but didn't receive a key :(

It's a good game but it's not really fun or exciting Left for Dead 2 is better way too many shadows and dark areas.
Think the tension is just fake compared to Left for Dead where the Zombies look solid but in Left for Dead they floated around like paper.

Last edited:
First Impressions,

Played for about an hour, Its fun! Gun battles are intense. No melee for weapon. Nice inventory system. You can also collect "copper" to purchase items in safe rooms.

You can carry Melee weapon in your inventory. Healing is the same as L4D. You can drop healing and other supplies. Game seems a bit stiff though with movements. Not as refined as L4D but it's an Alpha.

There are story elements like in L4D were you come upon camps and objectives.

Crows work like witches, if you disturb them they call a hoard.

Will be playing more tonight.

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

Some interesting twists on the formula. You can and will run out of ammo if you're just blasting and nobody has an ammo box. I've been using my pistol since it can one tap zombies in most cases, then I pull out my rifle when shit gets real. Strangely, it seems like you can get ahead of the horde at times and if you just keep running, they will never quite catch you. At that point, the biggest threat is solidly behind you and unless you stop for 10 seconds, you're practically in the clear to sprint through the level.

The sprinting and movement feels a little weird. Not really sure how to describe it, but it's not quite as refined or crisp as L4D. It's like you're really heavy or something.

Performance is pretty good, though near the end on the boat I had it suddenly drop to like 35-40fps for some reason. Besides that, it was mostly at like 80+ fps for nearly the entire game and felt fine on a 6700k & GTX 1080.

If anyone has an invite code, I would love one. L4D definitely one of my top 3 games, loved it. Some of the most fun I've had playing the co-op back in the day!

OK the cards thing is super-important, but it's not really well implemented. They cater to a play style but that only works if you get to pick your starting character.

If you jump into a game hotseat-style to play casually your deck might be a total liability.

It's a clever idea just implemented badly.

I got enough time to play a couple games last night and had a blast. Rocking a gamepad is still perfectly feasible. Precision aiming is rarely needed after all.
I've started to get used to the ammo situation, but playing with randoms makes that pretty tough. Everyone tends to grab everything they see, whether they have that weapon or not. The shotgun feels like a good choice for pick-up games since it stops normal enemies in 1-shot and ammo feels more plentiful than the AK and such. It's complete trash for the Ogre, though.

I got pretty good at sprinting through a lot of levels in L4D 1 and 2 and this one seems like you take that approach on certain levels. I'm cool with that as long as there are enough bottlenecks to keep people from doing that on every level.

The item situation is interesting. Dare I say it's almost needlessly complicated for a game like this...but maybe it just needs to be re-thought slightly. Ditto with the cards. They seem to be a big deal, but there isn't much you can really do with them or about them.

So far I think:

1. Melee is not that good, not enough cleave. You take a fuckload of damage because 1 swing kills like 2 out of the 15 things pounding on you, maybe.

2. I don't get the ADS addition and really don't think it adds anything to the game over L4D. I'm pretty sure its sole purpose is to try and slow the gameplay down. Not sure this is the way to do it.

3. The special infected are kind of meh - their roles are murkier and they don't seem as recognizable. They at least need unique sounds. In L4D you can guaranteed tell what special is around a corner before ever seeing it.

4. Why are there so many god damn triggers for hordes that 1 stray bullet can set off? Doors, crows, shit's everywhere.

Honestly some stuff I think they should have just kept it simple.

Melee is definitely weak. Mainly because you nearly always exchange hits when trying it. I've tried a variety of swings while moving backwards and sideways I still got hit most of the time. The punch option oddly doesn't seem to have the same issue, but it also doesn't do anything besides pushing enemies back.
Over the next few months I'd like to see those things adjusted. Maybe add in some invincibility frames mid-swing? Melee is basically only a last resort when you're low on ammo, which doesn't seem to be what they intended.

Punch will one-hit an infected in reach with the combat knife.

Reach is real short, though.

I am missing being able to melee with your weapon. It seems every time I use a melee weapon, I end up getting hit. Its like the infected get the hit off first. Weapon firing seems a lot meatier in L4B than in L4D, but they still feel a bit stiff and not as refined. Its an Alpha though so still time for improvements. Overall, I'm having fun with it. The pre party screen and card system is a bit confusing though.

I still think they should put a mechanic in where party members can become infected. You should have the option to "pacify" them only to have them come back next round as a stronger special infected or let them turn on their own and come back as a normal special but be one member down. I think that would be fun and ad more strategy to the game.

Back