B450 compatibility, how guaranteed will it be really?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
I know that AMD has reversed course and claimed the new Ryzen will be compatible with B450/X470, but how guaranteed is that going to be?

Guessing boards with 16mb bios are SOL.
People with MSI (Insert silly name here) MAX boards are pretty much guaranteed to get support.

Hard to say really, it's up to the MB manufacturer. 16MB bios doesn't mean you won't get it, just that if you flash you may lose support for older gen stuff with a newer bios. It's a tough spot for a MB manufacturer because that's a bit of effort for a board they sold 3 years ago. On one hand, they want you to buy a new MB (profit, support, etc) and on the other they want happy customers who will buy boards in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon ended up getting support, but it's really hard to know what the manufacturers are thinking at this point. Wish there was a list of what boards are expecting support, but I assume that won't be announced until the chips themselves are announced (or even later).

I have a Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac board, I just hope their upcoming APU's based on Zen 3 will work, using this as a HTPC and I do not need a mid/higher tier CPU support.

Guessing boards with 16mb bios are SOL.

No.

Hard to say really, it's up to the MB manufacturer. 16MB bios doesn't mean you won't get it, just that if you flash you may lose support for older gen stuff with a newer bios. It's a tough spot for a MB manufacturer because that's a bit of effort for a board they sold 3 years ago. On one hand, they want you to buy a new MB (profit, support, etc) and on the other they want happy customers who will buy boards in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon ended up getting support, but it's really hard to know what the manufacturers are thinking at this point. Wish there was a list of what boards are expecting support, but I assume that won't be announced until the chips themselves are announced (or even later).

This is more likely. Heck, Asus just released a whole NEW lineup of B450 boards even after the B550 released. I would expect most manufacturers to update bios with sufficient warnings that certain older CPUs will no longer function after flashing.

Back