B450 Aorus Pro WiFi Resetting/Rebooting Constantly

sk3tch

2[H]4U
Hello all. I'm in the midst of a little "rags to riches" build on an NZXT BLD box a miner stripped last year and I bought for cheap off of eBay. It has run nicely for the past few months - including yesterday while gaming quite a bit with my new hardware (5800X3D, new SSDs). This morning I got into my office to see it was in the Windows couldn't boot screen showing a particular file was corrupted.

OK - went to work on it and basically NOTHING will run stable outside of the BIOS screens. Meaning - try to reinstall Windows - it will reset. Try to run Memtest from USB drive - it will reset. Timing is generally within 1-2 minutes of any activities.

Steps tried so far:
- Checked temps via BIOS (all good)
- Reset CMOS
- Replaced EVGA 850W Gold PSU with a brand new, unopened known good one (they are known to have OCP trip issues - this one has worked fine but I had a brand new one from an EVGA RMA that was supposedly fixed)
- Reseated GPU (RTX 3080 FE)
- Swapped out NVME SSDs

I can idle in the BIOS screen for as long as I like. But any attempts to do anything else and it resets rapidly.

Do I need to swap the mobo? I was hoping to be one of the only people in the world running B450/5800X3D. 🙃

Here's the board - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x#kf - I am on the latest BIOS (F63b) which has AGESA V2 1.2.0.7.

I made no changes between playing games on it periodically throughout the day yesterday and getting up this morning and seeing it hosed. It is on a sine wave UPS so power issues are pretty much ruled out.

I have new memory and a PSU coming later this week - memory being used right now is the stock RAM it came with that has worked for months.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: been getting fTPM errors randomly too - I have disabled everything in the BIOS related to security. Still shutting down. :(

Last edited:
I would test the memory in another rig just to rule it out. Then fire up the cc to order a new motherboard. I doubt your going to need a new psu unless your trying to eliminate said existing ocp issues. Another set of faster, tighter memory could be a nice upgrade but again, mb is most likely your problem.

I would test the memory in another rig just to rule it out. Then fire up the cc to order a new motherboard. I doubt your going to need a new psu unless your trying to eliminate said existing ocp issues. Another set of faster, tighter memory could be a nice upgrade but again, mb is most likely your problem.

Thank you. Everything I've tried leads me there. Worked fine yesterday. Just crazy. I tried the known good RAM 1 stick at a time (just one) - same symptoms.
MicroCenter has a Dark Hero for $375 open box. This stupid "Millenium Falcon" hot rod rig has turned into a money pit. Ah well...I guess the same applies to PCs as to cars. :)

B-die 3800MHz/CL14 coming Thursday and an AX1600i I scored for $285 on eBay coming Wednesday.

EDIT: will my 5800X3D boot just fine on a Dark Hero or will I have to do some BIOS update backflips? I still have my old 5800X but I hate wasting the Kryonaut on booting just to update a BIOS...

Wow...swapped the board and it is still happening. WTF! :(

Could it be the CPU!?

Last edited:
Wow...swapped the board and it is still happening. WTF! :(

Could it be the CPU!?
It very well may be. The only way to know for sure is to swap your 5800x in.
Damn, I was certain the mb was the issue after all of your testing.

It very well may be. The only way to know for sure is to swap your 5800x in.
Damn, I was certain the mb was the issue after all of your testing.
Wow...5800X is working great so far. Bad 5800X3D. Wow. First ever bad CPU for me!!

Wow...5800X is working great so far. Bad 5800X3D. Wow. First ever bad CPU for me!!
Very rare for a cpu to be bad for sure! Good to see you got it figured out tho. It definitely sucks that you had to go through the hassle of buying another mb to get to the bottom of this. From what I've heard lately AMD is pretty good about RMAs so hopefully they will come through for you.

Very rare for a cpu to be bad for sure! Good to see you got it figured out tho. It definitely sucks that you had to go through the hassle of buying another mb to get to the bottom of this. From what I've heard lately AMD is pretty good about RMAs so hopefully they will come through for you.
Not that rare, Greg Salazar had a couple bad ones in PC's he repaired for viewers, AMD's CPU's seem somewhat more fragile then others, not a ton but still a noticable amount and this new one is a whole different beast so there may be some kinks due to that too.

Yeah! I am not gonna hate on my new mobo, lol. $375 better saved, I suppose...but it is a damn nice upgrade from B450. lol

Not that rare, Greg Salazar had a couple bad ones in PC's he repaired for viewers, AMD's CPU's seem somewhat more fragile then others, not a ton but still a noticable amount and this new one is a whole different beast so there may be some kinks due to that too.

Luckily I bought it at MicroCenter and their website showed they had one left - so I ran over and was able to snag it and exchange.

5800X still running just fine in the build. So it was the CPU! Probably wasted like $40 in Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in this crap which is the real pain, lol!

try hard setting the core clocks.

I know with mining on AMD stuff in hiveos, I was running into all sorts of weird behavior with it clocking up and down with a ryzen.

Not sure if you have done so but if yes, turn off XMP and try again.

Gigabyte B450/X470 boards outside of the X470 Gaming 7 are notoriously bad at clocking RAM.

With a Ryzen 5 3600 that will easily overclock a certain set of memory to 3600mhz on another motherboard, my Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming would only do 3000mhz.

try hard setting the core clocks.

I know with mining on AMD stuff in hiveos, I was running into all sorts of weird behavior with it clocking up and down with a ryzen.

Thanks! Just gaming not mining.

Puzzled why you NEEDED to do that?
Had to swap CPUs to test - CPUs need thermal paste.
Not sure if you have done so but if yes, turn off XMP and try again.

Gigabyte B450/X470 boards outside of the X470 Gaming 7 are notoriously bad at clocking RAM.

With a Ryzen 5 3600 that will easily overclock a certain set of memory to 3600mhz on another motherboard, my Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming would only do 3000mhz.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I get that. But as a step to see what is going wonky it eliminates a variable. In another setting, hiveos, it was the aspect causing the problem.
I’ll keep it in mind next time! When I used to mine I just did it noob style with NiceHash as my rigs are for gaming too.

For a quick test you don't or use some super cheap paste.
Unfortunately, it wasn't quick. Had to boot and test that the random resets were not other components. Didn't want to worry about the CPU hitting the temp limits and adding another variable. I don't have cheap stuff anymore - but a good idea. I was using the $11.99 Kryonaut packs which are pretty much one use only. I was able to scrounge together two used tubes into my final test of the 5800X in the Dark Hero board.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quick. Had to boot and test that the random resets were not other components. Didn't want to worry about the CPU hitting the temp limits and adding another variable. I don't have cheap stuff anymore - but a good idea. I was using the $11.99 Kryonaut packs which are pretty much one use only. I was able to scrounge together two used tubes into my final test of the 5800X in the Dark Hero board.
Paste only does so much. As long as you have a proper H/S-fan you are fine, actually maybe better then many horrible thermal grease home job's or real shitty production lines mass grey gloop that both run systems for years and years.

Paste only does so much. As long as you have a proper H/S-fan you are fine, actually maybe better then many horrible thermal grease home job's or real shitty production lines mass grey gloop that both run systems for years and years.
Good to know! Thank you. I'll also buy some cheap stuff for next time, too. I have rubbing alcohol and cotton balls on hand. :)

There’s a clear use case for a thermal pad here.

I would have looked at the PSU after ensuring my firmware updates were good, stock settings, running memtest for an extended period.

There’s a clear use case for a thermal pad here.

I would have looked at the PSU after ensuring my firmware updates were good, stock settings, running memtest for an extended period.
Not sure what you mean - PSU was replaced and tested with a new one.

Memtest did not work - because the CPU was bad, it would not even run until it reset.

I’d confirm the receptacle my pc was plugged into was good.

Then I’d run a cpu testing script incrementally.

Then I’d run a gpu specific test.

This might help you:

Back