Azureus or Utorrent

acee

Gawd
So I've been scanning through the PC desktop screens and I keep seeing everyone using uTorrent. Is there an advantage uTorrent has that Azureus doesn't have? I'm currently using azureus but I'm starting to hate it for personal reasons. I was looking to switch to another torrent program to use but can't decide which one is best... uTorrent or Bitcomet? :rolleyes:

utorrent is standalone and lighter weight than Azureus (doesn't require Java) and supports pretty much all the functionality that Azureus does.

Azureus uses java and can become a massive memory hog after awhile where utorrent is standalone and is a small footprint and will use less memory.

what do you mean by stand alone? Do you mean in order to use azureus I will need java? something like that? :eek:

Exactly.

Azureus is cross platform so you can use it with Windows, OS X or *nix because it REQUIRES Java.

what do you mean by stand alone? Do you mean in order to use azureus I will need java? something like that? :eek:

It's a single executable and you don't have to install it. Just download it, run the file and that's it. I like that in my applications.

But the big thing for me was that Azureus was becoming very resource hungry, I stopped using it years ago when I was running lower powered systems and the Java requirement of Azureus was killing the machines I ran the client on. utorrent is lightweight and fast to start up, unlike Azureus.

alrite I feel convinced haha.. will delete azureus tonight after work..

I switched to utorrent after using azures for a while. I went to install the latest version of azures on my new laptop and it had all this extra crap attached to it so I said screw that. Then I actually just searched google and found Utorrent randomly, 3 months now and I haven't used anything else since:)

Long time user of uTorrent, its so lightweight I leave it running while gaming etc.
It doesnt look quite as fancy as some other clients but it is very well featured.

what do you mean by stand alone?
the utorrent.exe is the program not the installer. utorrent does not need to be "installed".
utorrent can be run from a removable drive.

"You all are lucky to be under the uTorrent spy program, thank you for sending all your information on what you have been downloading to copyright enforcement agencies ;) "

In all seriousness if you search around, uTorrent is now supposedly doing some tracking and watching of what people are downloading with it. If you want proof, try a port watcher with uTorrent running and then try doing it with Azureus or any other torrent program...you will notice you get a ton of hits from companies like media sentry and outbound attempts to BittorrentInc when using utorrent right away but not with other torrent programs.

It all started happening when the uTorrent went closed source...not good news for those using it IMO.

It is a nice program and lightweight, but I dont care to have tracking crap in any program I use.

Azureus is the best IMO but it can be a hog at times. It is extremely customizable and very powerful though which is what I love about it. I have it running on its own machine and use the web plugin to control it from other machines...works perfectly ;)

I went from Azureus to utorrent for a while then back to azureus. Utorrent was nice and small , and my first time using azureas proved it was a resource hog, but I don't have those problems with azureus now that I switched back. It runs fine for me, plus it has more features that I like and I personally think that Vuze is pretty cool.

I switched to utorrent after using azures for a while. I went to install the latest version of azures on my new laptop and it had all this extra crap attached to it so I said screw that. Then I actually just searched google and found Utorrent randomly, 3 months now and I haven't used anything else since:)

I forgot to add, Vuze is really just a lightweight gui to searching/sharing videos and such. Easy to turn off as well if you do not want it (it is in the options).

Personally I turned it off as I only use azureus through the webui anyways ;)

utorrent ftw, now if only they were still working on that mac version :(

For the mac user transmission is the best way to go.

hmm so they are tracking what your downloading through utorrent now a days :eek:.. i haven't made the switch yet cuz when I came home from work yesterday I remember I was uploading some stuff for others. But will definately change if recommended by this weekend.

hmm so they are tracking what your downloading through utorrent now a days :eek:..

If you are so scared, you can just download uTorrent 1.6.

Oh, and uTorrent is much better than Azureus.

fine i'll go to utorrent haha.. since all torrents app's are being tracked now a days.. theres nothing to hide anyways... :rolleyes:

Indeed, I am still using uTorrent 1.6.1, the last version before BitTorrent took over.

On linux I use rTorrent.

The concept of one version of uTorrent "tracking" your usage and another one not tracking your usage is ridiculous. It's been proven in testing that no data is being received or sent to uTorrent 1.6 that isn't being received or sent to 1.7x across multiple forums so far since its release. This is what Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt is all about, kids. Spreading rumors to make something look horrible in light of no substantial evidence to prove otherwise.

If someone wants to track your BitTorrent usage, all they have to do is seed a bogus torrent themselves and wham, you're busted plain and simple. Doesn't matter if you download <insert whatever here> or just a tiny percentage of it, once the connection is made and you download even 1 byte of that file you are simply busted, period.

I'd worry far far more about the actual trackers being used for the connections and then worry somewhat about the actual torrents themselves.

Worrying about the client software itself, regardless of which one you prefer, is pointless. It's who you're getting stuff from that causes all the grief.

The concept of one version of uTorrent "tracking" your usage and another one not tracking your usage is ridiculous. It's been proven in testing that no data is being received or sent to uTorrent 1.6 that isn't being received or sent to 1.7x across multiple forums so far since its release. This is what Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt is all about, kids. Spreading rumors to make something look horrible in light of no substantial evidence to prove otherwise.

If someone wants to track your BitTorrent usage, all they have to do is seed a bogus torrent themselves and wham, you're busted plain and simple. Doesn't matter if you download <insert whatever here> or just a tiny percentage of it, once the connection is made and you download even 1 byte of that file you are simply busted, period.

I'd worry far far more about the actual trackers being used for the connections and then worry somewhat about the actual torrents themselves.

Worrying about the client software itself, regardless of which one you prefer, is pointless. It's who you're getting stuff from that causes all the grief.

I would usually agree, but the issue with utorrent is it was purchased by Bittorrent Inc who has been under the squeeze from RIAA and other copyright enforcement agencies.

To try and further their own product with legal downloads, they have made agreements to add tracking supposedly. This came when they went closed source and the connections to Bittorrent Inc began happening.

There have been open letters to them before and they totally circle around the subject and will not give straight answers. Way to suspicious IMO.

If anyone here thinks that they're "safe" when they're connected to the Internet as we know it today, you're all sadly mistaken. Nothing is "safe" anymore, there is no anonymity and there hasn't been for many a yarn now.

Use it, don't use it, either way, if someone wants to "track" you, they can, and they will. Even encryption is useless in that respect because the encrypted data still has to go from point A to point B and every step of that pathway can be "tracked."

The stuff people worry about... geez...

I just downloaded the utorrent 1.6. I haven't tested it out yet as I don't have anything in mind to download nor upload. So until then right now I'm just happy how fast it loads its interface haha

its so lightweight I leave it running while gaming etc.

yeah, i also do that :p.

Even encryption is useless in that respect because the encrypted data still has to go from point A to point B and every step of that pathway can be "tracked."

hehehe, yeah well unless u are using quantum cryptography ;)

utorrent because no bloat and very simple.

I found deluge to be a good alternative when using linux.

Back