Update: Aya Neo Pro handheld gaming PC with Ryzen 5 4800U slated for September

You're sorely mistaken. The Switch has games for everyone, including big AAA titles like Crysis, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Bayonetta.

There are also a ton of indie games, that would work well on a portable system. I played Axiom Verge and it was great on the Switch.

But it doesn't run Windows.

Look, everyone can like their Nintendo. I want something like this. So do lots of other people, and we have over the years, continued to buy these oddball little machines.

I understand. I used to have a GPD Win 2, really nice for emulators and older Windows games. I even put Linux on mine. So we agree there.

Just saying that Nintendo is not just for kids, that is an outdated idea.

So it would be interesting where they came up with their figures. They state the CPU draws 18W in one of their tests, and that the rest of the components will draw enough to be around the 90 minute mark. 47 Wh / 1.5 = ~31W load. So they would be stating the rest of the components would be drawing like 13W, which seems high to me. I'd guess the system is probably capable of going about 2 hours on the battery that's in it assuming the CPU / GPU are sharing the 18W power envelope.

So battery wise if it could be played and charged with USB-C with a 3A current limit, going by their estimate you would be able to drain about 2x external batteries before draining the internal battery. What that means is if you had a 10,000Mah battery pack you could get almost 2x what the system had, with the ability to go to 3x total capacity before you'd run out of juice. (Using either 2 10K or 1 20K external battery + the 47wh internal battery) Using their calculations you'd get 3 hours with a $20 battery pack, I'd probably guess closer to 4. If you had twice the external battery capacity you're in the 4.5 - 6 hour range. The 20K Anker pack looks like it still fits in a pocket, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to carry this device with a battery pack. I don't know if the handheld can charge USB-C or if it would hit 3A, but it would be awesome if it could. Even better if it just supported USB PD @ 45W then any external packs that can deliver the necessary power could be used.

If anything the biggest issue I see with this device isn't cost or size, but the weight. A 47wh battery isn't small, and weighs like 1/3 of a pound on it's own. Then there is the cooler and fan which won't seem like a lot in hand but combined with a display and the rest of the chassis will start to get heavy. The battery alone in this device is half the weight of a switch, so adding up all the parts it's likely a lot heavier. Maybe after 90 minutes your wrists will get tired holding the device up, so it's a moot point if it could game any longer anyway. If I were making a system like this I'd rather just see a some minimal internal battery, then paired with a removable battery pack that has a fixed USB-C port on it. Then you can just slide in and swap battery packs that can attach to the back of the device, or just use your own external pack, or use that port to just plug the thing into a usb outlet. If it can last 5 minutes on internal battery so you can swap battery packs or plug it in, it would be a lot more flexible. If the USB-IF stuff becomes more common finding packs that could support the system which are still able to fit in a pocket should be possible. (Anker does make one for 13" laptops but it's pricey) I'd much rather just separate the battery from the device when it's that large, and then be able to choose how much capacity I want to carry with me. Having a 3' cable and being able to set the battery down on something would be easy enough to deal with larger batteries, and if it comes unplugged the internal battery is still there to keep the device on while you plug the cable back in.

The one time I saw a gpd win 2 in real life was a guy gaming on it while waiting for a movie to start. I would have assumed that's more or less the use case of a device like this.

Makes sense if you live in a metro area and take public transport. I would have loved something like this when I lived in NYC.

So battery wise if it could be played and charged with USB-C with a 3A current limit, going by their estimate you would be able to drain about 2x external batteries before draining the internal battery. What that means is if you had a 10,000Mah battery pack you could get almost 2x what the system had, with the ability to go to 3x total capacity before you'd run out of juice. (Using either 2 10K or 1 20K external battery + the 47wh internal battery) Using their calculations you'd get 3 hours with a $20 battery pack, I'd probably guess closer to 4. If you had twice the external battery capacity you're in the 4.5 - 6 hour range. The 20K Anker pack looks like it still fits in a pocket, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to carry this device with a battery pack. I don't know if the handheld can charge USB-C or if it would hit 3A, but it would be awesome if it could. Even better if it just supported USB PD @ 45W then any external packs that can deliver the necessary power could be used.
It depends on if you have soyboy pockets or not. If you don't it fits in your pocket very well as it's longer than fatter packs of similar capacity. I use it to charge the switches for my nieces sometimes and to charge my phone and the tablet i use in my truck in places that don't have cell data and the tree canopy is too dense for the truck's GPS antenna to function adequately.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en_US

aya_01.jpg

https://liliputing.com/2020/09/aya-neo-handheld-gaming-pc-founder-edition-coming-in-october.html

"Founder's Edition" coming in October with fixed controllers in a smaller package than the prototypes.

Looks like a prototype. Hope the final version is a little more streamlined.

Update: https://liliputing.com/2020/10/aya-...e-orders-begin-in-nov-after-slight-delay.html

It's in pre-order but there's a huge asterisk on it since the delivery date is only firm for China.

The decision to go with the 4500U appears firm. This is somewhat disappointing because the graphics on that part are not great. And it doesn't support multi-threaded cores, although for a 6-core handheld, that's probably no big deal.

1.4 pounds sounds OK. The cooling looks totally great, if we're going to be honest. That's way better than in most laptops using the same parts, although real-world noise and stuff isn't something you can put into specs.

aya-neo_01.jpg

aya-neo_06.jpg

aya-neo_03.jpg

Look at dem pig ol dippies.

In addition to the AMD Ryzen 4500U (6c/6t, 4GHz boost, 2.3 base, 6 CU @1,500MHz/1,152GFlops) it will have 16 gigs of LPDDR4 @4266MHz, with 512 megs for graphics. That will give it a very handy boost for gaming, but I wonder if it will be enough to compensate for the mid-tier APU going into this.

If this used a 4700U or a 4800U it would be a no-brainer. That would add ~$200, maybe even ~$300 to the price point, which I would love to see as an option, but I doubt it's going to happen this generation. They very clearly picked the lowest-price APU with above-average graphics available right now, which is probably smart since it will keep prices down but still make some modern gaming possible, and all kinds of retro gaming totally great.

I was going to back this one but ended up backing the GPD Win 3 last night instead. I have a soft spot for the Sony UX style design and that was my first UMPC. I think the AYA has a better graphics card but hopeful the Intel Iris XE in the Win 3 gets better drivers.

Could care less about the handheld part. Just give me the chip so I can build a new emulator console.

A related query - does anyone know where someone can get ahold of the kind of SoC / board that would support this kind of proc, independently.

Recently I picked up a "cyberdeck" chassis that can handle a RasPi (or similar ) , but up to even a mITX . However, the closest thing is something like a 4x4-style board with an AMD 4800U ( which is an 8 core 16 thread!) or if available, the new 5000 Zen3 low voltage series?

Edit: For those who may also be interested this is the project - https://ready100.com/index.php/what-does-it-do/

Prototypes look like this, and the whole thing is completely modular and open source - even the plans are available if you want to make one yourself.

Attachments

• ReadyBothFront.jpg
    ReadyBothFront.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ReadyBrightPair.jpg
    ReadyBrightPair.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Axman
like this
I think the Mars was just recently launched, so it might not be in the wild.

Not exactly the same thing but in stock:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-4500u/p/N82E16856158070
https://www.newegg.com/asus-pn50-bbr065md/p/N82E16856110205

They do have the more powerful 4800U:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-4800u/p/N82E16856158069

That's great! It may be worth it anyway, but would you happen to know any way to JUST buy the SoC / Board + Proc as opposed to a whole miniPC etc?

That's great! It may be worth it anyway, but would you happen to know any way to JUST buy the SoC / Board + Proc as opposed to a whole miniPC etc?

Well, those are barebones kits, so they don't have the ram, drives, etc. That you can pick and choose.

There is a fanless chassis for the PN50 if you don't like the OEM look: https://www.techpowerup.com/278909/akasa-releases-turing-a50-fanless-chassis-for-asus-pn50

But no, I haven't seen anything like a mobo/SOC-only offering. It would be a *fucking great* thing to see, though.

Could care less about the handheld part. Just give me the chip so I can build a new emulator console.
I snagged an Odroid N2+ and the little box is a beast. I’m playing around in TinkerCad trying to design an old iMac like case for it.

I snagged an Odroid N2+ and the little box is a beast. I’m playing around in TinkerCad trying to design an old iMac like case for it.
I have an Odroid N2+, its in my Sega Saturn console. I'm using Batocera on it. :D

Been wanting to install a on / off button for it, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Update: https://liliputing.com/2021/08/aya-...c-with-ryzen-7-4800u-coming-in-september.html

AYA Neo Pro handheld gaming PC with Ryzen 7 4800U coming in September​

The AYA Neo is a handheld gaming computer featuring a 7 inch touchscreen display, built-in game controllers, and a design that resembles a Nintendo Switch. But under the hood are the guts of a PC and the ability to play many Windows PC games.

When the AYA Neo first went up for pre-order through an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, only one processor option was available: an AMD Ryzen 5 4500U chip. Now an upgraded version with a Ryzen 7 4800U processor has been announced. It’s called the AYA Neo Pro, and it’s expected to ship in September.

aya-neo.jpg

The upgrade means that instead of a 6-core, 6-thread processor with Radeon Vega 6 graphics, the Pro model will have an 8-core, 16-thread chip with Radeon Vega 8 graphics.

Incidentally, the Ryzen 7 4800U is also processor that GPD is using for the AMD-powered version of the GPD Win Max 2021 handheld gaming computer, which has an 8 inch display, game controllers, and a physical keyboard.

AYA plans to continue selling the original Neo along with the new Neo Pro. There’s also a Neo Pro “Retro Power” bundle that comes with retro-inspired color scheme, plus retro-inspired accessories including a 108W USB-C fast charging adapter and a custom portable docking station and mechanical keyboard (which, I believe, may be sold separately).

###

Hrm, Steam Deck Pro? I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to install Steam OS on one of these.

GFX are a step backwards from steamdeck. Vega for AYA, RDNA2 for Steamdeck. I would choose the latter.

Good point. This is like ... a workstation version? In any case, fun times.

Just saying that Nintendo is not just for kids, that is an outdated idea
you're right.. all consoles are for kids. :hilarious:

but really, besides zelda and xenoblade, what does the switch really have to offer adults that you can't get better somewhere else? that's a lot of money to invest to play one or two games... unless you're just really into mario?

Last edited:
At 1/3rd the price with first party nintendo games? Naaa, if people want a switch, they go buy a switch.
or download CEMU and play on PC with higher resolution @60fps for free

but yeah, if you wanted portable gaming, not sure why you would pay for one of these when steam deck is around the corner?

GFX are a step backwards from steamdeck. Vega for AYA, RDNA2 for Steamdeck. I would choose the latter.
will be interesting to do a direct comparison but there is no way I am getting a steam deck anytime soon. The Win3 should at least hold me off until i can get the steam deck. Not a fan of the not user upgradable SSD though and the 512GB max built in.

Regardless of how it is, with Valve entering the race this thing is dead. Was likely going to be a flop as it was. Now this has no chance.
Yeah, sadly I don't think they will survive with the specs on the Deck and the pricing. Still nice that they created this market (also GPD) but it will be a hard sell once Valve releases.

At 1/3rd the price with first party nintendo games? Naaa, if people want a switch, they go buy a switch.

First party games are designed with that particular hardware in mind. I've never had a problem with the first party title on a switch.

I don't think this will be that much different than a switch anyway. Graphically intensive games aren't going to play very well with this minimal hardware. Unless they go back and re-optimize games for it which is unlikely, I don't think it would be appreciably different than a switch port anyway. Although you can usually pick up cheap PC games from steam on sale.

Update: https://liliputing.com/2021/08/aya-...c-with-ryzen-7-4800u-coming-in-september.html

AYA Neo Pro handheld gaming PC with Ryzen 7 4800U coming in September​

The AYA Neo is a handheld gaming computer featuring a 7 inch touchscreen display, built-in game controllers, and a design that resembles a Nintendo Switch. But under the hood are the guts of a PC and the ability to play many Windows PC games.

When the AYA Neo first went up for pre-order through an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, only one processor option was available: an AMD Ryzen 5 4500U chip. Now an upgraded version with a Ryzen 7 4800U processor has been announced. It’s called the AYA Neo Pro, and it’s expected to ship in September.

View attachment 383099

The upgrade means that instead of a 6-core, 6-thread processor with Radeon Vega 6 graphics, the Pro model will have an 8-core, 16-thread chip with Radeon Vega 8 graphics.

Incidentally, the Ryzen 7 4800U is also processor that GPD is using for the AMD-powered version of the GPD Win Max 2021 handheld gaming computer, which has an 8 inch display, game controllers, and a physical keyboard.

AYA plans to continue selling the original Neo along with the new Neo Pro. There’s also a Neo Pro “Retro Power” bundle that comes with retro-inspired color scheme, plus retro-inspired accessories including a 108W USB-C fast charging adapter and a custom portable docking station and mechanical keyboard (which, I believe, may be sold separately).

###

Hrm, Steam Deck Pro? I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to install Steam OS on one of these.
hmm, twice as expensive as the Deck for a much slower GPU and a CPU that will be worse for gaming because thos 8 cores won't clock as high as the 4 in the Deck in real use.

Looks great, but those specs at that price... about a year too late.

But could be a year before people start getting their Deck orders fulfilled...
fair point; if the Neo Pro is actually available for immediate delivery in September it'll have the edge in that sense.

will be interesting to do a direct comparison but there is no way I am getting a steam deck anytime soon. The Win3 should at least hold me off until i can get the steam deck. Not a fan of the not user upgradable SSD though and the 512GB max built in.

I think Gabe Newell recently mentioned or hinted at the internal SSD being upgradeable... also don't forget that you CAN put a Micro SD card in there.

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-might-be-able-to-upgrade-a-steam-decks-ssd-but-valve-says-not-to/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/olp163/was_wondering_if_the_steam_deck_will_have_a/

ot54t097umb71.jpg

I just read on Tom's hardware that this is going to cost $1,200+ for the pro version. Is that true?

Back