Axiom Verge 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

Axiom Verge 2 just seemed to drop out of nowhere. I knew it was coming, but not so soon. Just bought it for the Switch. Will post back after I play it.

I’ll probably buy it for Steam as well. :D

…and for friends…

Time to play.

Axiom Verge 2 just seemed to drop out of nowhere. I knew it was coming, but not so soon. Just bought it for the Switch. Will post back after I play it.

…and for friends…

Time to play.
I knew you'd be the first to get it lol how is it I just read one review that gave it a 10 then another a 7 lol.. I didn't care to much for the first one but hoping the second is better for me.

I think I liked the setting of the first better, but it plays just as good so far. I think I’ve only scratched the surface though. I’ve got a few interesting gadgets. You can also power up using these little tanks laying around with a bit of a skill tree. A bit different than the last one.

I’d personally give the original a 10, so we’ll see how this one goes. So far so good.

I think I liked the setting of the first better, but it plays just as good so far. I think I’ve only scratched the surface though. I’ve got a few interesting gadgets. You can also power up using these little tanks laying around with a bit of a skill tree. A bit different than the last one.

I’d personally give the original a 10, so we’ll see how this one goes. So far so good.
Yeah unfortunately for me I didn't care for axiom verge 1...I'm guessing I might not like this one either?!

…and for friends…

Time to play.
I haven't heard about any plans for releasing the game on Steam.

I'll play it a year from now on Steam, where it originally found a home.

Hopefully this sequel won't get over-consolnized.

I love metriodvania type games and bought the first one. The biggest issue with the game that made me quit was the music. It was pretty terrible. They needed music more like Super Metroid for the sci fi setting.

I haven't heard about any plans for releasing the game on Steam.

I read something like "releases on other platforms to be announced". Since it's on EGS, it's probably their standard Epic-Bullshit-TM. I would guess that it will be on Steam, and maybe other consoles after a while. He basically got his indie start on Steam, so I would hope he wouldn't abandon it completely. I'll play it on the Switch though. No reason not to, and I won't buy things from Epic. (Sorry, I know my comments are typically heavy-handed where they're concerned :D If you like their shop, that's totally fine.)

The game is pretty fun, so far. I haven't gotten more than a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it.

relapse808 I think SOME of the music is actually pretty good. However, I do agree that some of it does not fit the game, and some isn't at all to my taste. I'd still give the first one another shot though. It's truly a good game. There's a bit more of that style music in the second one, but there are also some really nice, heavy atmospheric tracks in it too. It's an odd mixture, but it works for whatever reason. Also, it does have volume sliders for Sound/Music, so I guess killing it is an option. (not optimal of course)

DefaultUser Since this game mimics a style of game that came from consoles in the first place, I don't think you need to worry about that. It gives enough options even on the switch, so I can't imagine it being any different on the PC.

Yeah unfortunately for me I didn't care for axiom verge 1...I'm guessing I might not like this one either?!

The new one plays a bit differently than the first. It's still similar though. If your really hated the first one, I don't know that I'd recommend this. If you just didn't like certain aspects of the first, then maybe this one is different enough. I actually liked the first one as much (and in some cases more) than Super Metroid. Once again, I'm going to duck. :D Not to say that I don't ABSOLUTELY love Super Metroid. (or any Metroid) I do. I just like the concepts, the oddball story, some of the weapons, and some of the movement better in AV. As mentioned above, the music is hit and miss depending on the level, so that one definitely goes to Super Metroid. How far in did you play the original? It really doesn't pick up right away. You need to unlock maybe 20-30% and things start getting interesting, more fun, etc.

The new one plays a bit differently than the first. It's still similar though. If your really hated the first one, I don't know that I'd recommend this. If you just didn't like certain aspects of the first, then maybe this one is different enough. I actually liked the first one as much (and in some cases more) than Super Metroid. Once again, I'm going to duck. :D Not to say that I don't ABSOLUTELY love Super Metroid. (or any Metroid) I do. I just like the concepts, the oddball story, some of the weapons, and some of the movement better in AV. As mentioned above, the music is hit and miss depending on the level, so that one definitely goes to Super Metroid. How far in did you play the original? It really doesn't pick up right away. You need to unlock maybe 20-30% and things start getting interesting, more fun, etc.
One thing I liked about Axiom Verge - they NEVER required you to perform a move as complex and blind as the Super Metroid Super Jump. This is why I finished Axiom Verge (while I have never finished Super Metroid) .

I also hated how Super Metriod added a duck into every downward move, furrther-complicating a simple action platformer (and making something like the Wave Beam redundant).

I can get through regular NES Metriod in a Day, but Super Metroid always pisses me off halfway through.

Also, this thing is only a year EGScrewsive .

Last edited:
One thing I liked about Axiom Verge - they NEVER required you to perform a move as complex and blind as the Super Metroid Super Jump. This is why I finished Axiom Verge (while I have never finished Super Metroid) .

I also hated how Super Metriod added a duck into every downward move, furrther-complicating a simple action platformer (and making something like the Wave Beam redundant).

I can get through regular NES Metriod in a Day, but Super Metroid always pisses me off halfway through.

Also, this thing is only a year EGS exclusive.

I agree on the Super Metroid jumping. I've managed to get through it, but like you, I start having less fun around half-way in, even though some of the levels are cool.

I feel like Axiom Verge (and now the second) absolutely nail the platforming and control mechanics. They're not overly complicated, they're accurate, and you know when it's your fault. I don't believe there are many (if any) spots where one or two pixel accuracy is required to get somewhere.

Also, this thing is only a year EGS exclusive.
Source on this being a 1-year exclusive on PC?

He doesn't say for one year, he just said that it will be coming to Steam "eventually."

What does it matter? it's still a long enough time for me to forget about this product, and probably pick it up for 5 bucks 5 years from now.

This developer doesn't have the same draw as Gearbox does (so outside EGS, everyone will forget about this game) - hope they enjoyed the cash-infusion for killing any PC community for this sequel.

Last edited:
The first Axiom Verge gets immediately better once you get the Glitch Gun and then again once you get the Trenchcoat.

It's a bit rough before then.

I’m really enjoying the second one now. Hit my pace with it, and it’s quite fun. It’s quite a bit different than the first one, but you’d still recognize it as part of the series. Combat is a lot different now, drone use is a lot better, etc.

If you hate the first though, I don’t think this will changes your mind.

I read something like "releases on other platforms to be announced". Since it's on EGS, it's probably their standard Epic-Bullshit-TM. I would guess that it will be on Steam, and maybe other consoles after a while. He basically got his indie start on Steam, so I would hope he wouldn't abandon it completely. I'll play it on the Switch though. No reason not to, and I won't buy things from Epic. (Sorry, I know my comments are typically heavy-handed where they're concerned :D If you like their shop, that's totally fine.)

The game is pretty fun, so far. I haven't gotten more than a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it.

relapse808 I think SOME of the music is actually pretty good. However, I do agree that some of it does not fit the game, and some isn't at all to my taste. I'd still give the first one another shot though. It's truly a good game. There's a bit more of that style music in the second one, but there are also some really nice, heavy atmospheric tracks in it too. It's an odd mixture, but it works for whatever reason. Also, it does have volume sliders for Sound/Music, so I guess killing it is an option. (not optimal of course)

DefaultUser Since this game mimics a style of game that came from consoles in the first place, I don't think you need to worry about that. It gives enough options even on the switch, so I can't imagine it being any different on the PC.
Music is one of the most underappreciated things in games. Think about any good game, and I'm willing to bet it probably has a memorable soundtrack. That's where indie games fall apart. Too many games just have adequate music.

Music is one of the most underappreciated things in games. Think about any good game, and I'm willing to bet it probably has a memorable soundtrack. That's where indie games fall apart. Too many games just have adequate music.

I agree completely about the importance of music in games. It can make a good game absolutely excellent, and even drag up a mediocre game to being pretty decent.

That said, I don't expect all game soundtracks to be my thing. So as long as the music is good for what it is, it at least isn't going to bother me. If it's decent, but doesn't quite fit, that can be a bit jarring. If it's bad, then I'll either try with it turned off, or maybe even skip the game.

However, in the case of Axiom Verge (original) while some of the music wasn't my favorite, some of it was actually quite good, and fit the levels well.

In the case of Axiom Verge 2, it wouldn't be my go to style of music to listen to, but it does seem to suit the game pretty well. It has an ancient civilization feel to it, so the styles of music it has do seem pretty good for the game.

I'd say the Indie games with the best music (off the top of my head) in recent years would be FEZ, Shovel Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, The Messenger, Cuphead, Nidhogg, Cyber Shadow, and I'm sure if I thought a bit more I could list another 20 or so that stood out as having exceptional quality.

There's also something to be said for a game that forgoes more traditional music, and uses soundscapes effectively. (or a mix of the two styles based on context) System Shock 2 (not an indie obviously) probably mixed the two better than anything else I've ever played. That soundtrack was perfect.

I totally agree. Super metroid my all time fav game has one of the best soundtracks ever devised for a game.. Super nes games had amazing music.

Coming to Steam August 11, so it turns out the deal was exactly one year.

Coming to Steam August 11, so it turns out the deal was exactly one year.

Nice that it's coming to Steam finally. I played it on the Switch. Generally, I preferred the first one over the second, but it's still very much worth playing. If I decide to play it again, I'll probably buy it on Steam, just to promote the use of the platform over that... ...other... one.

Hmmm....Maybe i'll see what it's like. Only Axiom i know of is this one...
1647041397649.png

Nice!

I played through it on the Switch, but I'll pop it into Steam now too, since I have the first one there too. The first game is a touch better in some ways (at least I like the story more, strange as it is). The play is excellent though in the new one. Definitely recommended.

Unrelated Side Note: Heart Machine's games are now available (or soon to be) on Steam again too. Solar Ash wasn't on there for a while, and Hyper Light Drifter 2 wasn't scheduled for Steam release. Now they both are. Good thing too, because I wasn't going to get them otherwise. (even though the first HLD is one of my favorites of all time)

I'm not paying 90% for a game that has a worse story than the original, been out way too long . Give me closer to 50% like we saw with new releases on steam like bl3

you already got paid exclusive cha-ching from Epic Games, its going on my wishlst till I get a deal.

That doesn't actually change the value of the game. Of course, you're free to do that, and its worth is partially subjective. However, giving a one man studio your support is never a bad thing. I HATE Epic exclusives as much as anyone (if not MORE) but the reality is, if more people just bought Indie games on Steam for full(ish) price, those Epic bribes wouldn't seem like such a big deal to them. Complain more about Epic, and buy more on Steam.

Back