AX1200 just destroyed 3 SSDs, 1 HDD, life?

Coil whine does happen fairly regularly, and in electronic devices more expensive than an AX1200 as well. If it's happening unusually often, I would surmise that some coil or another isn't getting enough cement on the windings at the factory. It's not usually dangerous to the PSU... just to the owner's sanity if it's loud enough.

I do understand about the whole coil whine thing,

I'm still happy with my AX 1200. Thing doesnt make a peep (with the fan that is) even at full load with my OC'ed 480's, OC'ed cpu, pump and lights going, along with 5 hard drives. It performs wonderfully...so to have this coil whine issue on a quality flagship product from a quality company, magnifies the issue in question, especially since its high end performance includes having very little noise. Even redbeard himself said that its unacceptable to have that kind of noise.

Edit: also, my AX1200 like the OP lacks the sticker badging warning to use AX cables only.

Last edited:
I had two samples - one review sample and one sealed retail sample. Neither one had coil whine. Not sure what's weird about that.

Coil whine does happen fairly regularly, and in electronic devices more expensive than an AX1200 as well. If it's happening unusually often, I would surmise that some coil or another isn't getting enough cement on the windings at the factory. It's not usually dangerous to the PSU... just to the owner's sanity if it's loud enough.

I'm guessing the loads most power supply testers use likely wouldn't show the problem. I've always respected and enjoyed your reviews, so wonder if that was the issue? You normally need a pretty good time varying load to hear it. The whine isn't due to the typical power supply switching frequency obviously, which is way above hearing range, but the time varying load changes the high magnetic field in the "coils", and typically something moves around a bit as a result, causing a potentially noticable sound (at least that's my guess as to what happens). The whine changing as things on the display change make it particularly apparent and annoying.

Did a little more research on it and heres another similar post up at overclockers.net about the issue (coil whine) and a few other things...

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/805273-do-not-buy-corsair-1200ax-psu.html

Im about to RMA my unit back to Newegg and see what happens, but they dont have cross shipping available. I might just have to call them tomorrow and see what they can do about possibly just paying for a new PSU and they cover next day delivery costs.

On the corsair side of things...if you read through the Overclockers.net post (and by information given to me by our corsair rep here) there is currently no stock available at corsair for crosshipping RMA's until at LEAST the end of september. The rep over at overclockers even said theyre pulling random units for testing to see if its a widespread issue.

Last edited:
i got my ax1200 today. DOA. POS is going back to amazon for a refund. screw flextronics.

Last edited:
I hate to thread jack, but are the cables for the HX620 and the HX520 compatible...? can they be mixed up and swapped back and forth between psus (unlike the HX/AX issue here)...?

I hate to thread jack, but are the cables for the HX620 and the HX520 compatible...? can they be mixed up and swapped back and forth between psus (unlike the HX/AX issue here)...?

I would guess that an HX is an HX is an HX.....but after reading this thread, I'm not too sure my luck is that good.:D

I would guess that an HX is an HX is an HX.....but after reading this thread, I'm not too sure my luck is that good.:D

I thought the same, but my mad google-fu skillz unearthed some inconsistencies in that theory that I was hoping someone [H]ere would be able to clear up, apparently the HX650 cables are incompatible with the HX620 cables, I saw the word "proprietary" thrown around in regards to the HX520 AND the HX620 cables, but wasn't able to ascertain if they meant that the two were proprietary AND compatible with each other or they were each proprietary and not compatible with other versions...

Ugh.. I feel for ya, Rage.. modular cables add convenience but also complexity/room for error. Who knows at this point, it could have been a cable swap by accident or maybe even the factory could have messed up wiring on the PSU modular outlets or the even the cables themselves. Yar.. SSD recovery sounds more tedious but it's possible... datarecovery.net, datarecoverylabs.com, securedatarecoveryaz.com, 24hourdata.com (in no particular order other than google's silly priority). All do SSD. Get quotes and investigate their methods, manufacturers supported and if possible a track history of recovery on the models you have.

Last edited:
I want to mention that we have identified what is causing the coil whine issue and it only affects a very small number of shipped AX1200s. The vast majority should not have any issue whatsoever, and even the units that might experience the issue will only experience it in a certain situation.

That being said, we're fixing it on our side and anybody who has an AX1200 and has coil whine can contact me at [email protected] and I'll get you a new unit. I'll make sure you don't have to be without a PSU during this time, as well, by providing advanced replacement.

seriously, I'm so pissed my ax1200 was DOA. I wish corsair never went w/ flextronics. Back to my trusty HX1000.

I want to mention that we have identified what is causing the coil whine issue and it only affects a very small number of shipped AX1200s. The vast majority should not have any issue whatsoever, and even the units that might experience the issue will only experience it in a certain situation.

What is it thats causing the whine?

Regarding HX cable compatability:

I would imagine that HX models made by the same OEM can swap cables. IIRC the HX520 and HX620 are Seasonic made while the HX750 and HX850 are CWT. I haven't confirmed this though so don't take it to heart.

Coils are typically wired in series to provide filtration against current surges. They are magnetic devices and, as such, can have motion induced in them. They are probably heavily filtering really noisy, non-linear digital loads like the GPU and vibrating audibly.

For many years some equipment makers (particularly CRTs) put hot-melt glue all over their coils. Of course some coils might run hot enough to melt the glue, or not cool properly if encased in glue, or the glue could actually change the value of the inductor.

Redbeard, you are being fantastic with this issue and I am sure everyone appreciates it. this whole situation must be embarassing for you and Corsair.

However, the bottom line is that this is a top-of-the-line power supply from a very reputable company...there is really no excuse for "a very small number" of units being effected. I am sure Corsair will fix it, but it should never have happened. I hope the quality control people get a good smack for this.

Last edited:
However, the bottom line is that this is a top-of-the-line power supply from a very reputable company...there is really no excuse for "a small number" of units being effected. I am sure Corsair will fix it, but it damages their reputation.

It seems Flextronics may not have been ready to produce retail products as there have been a number of embarrassing gaffes.

Got my AX1200 installed, So far I havent heard a very loud whine, Just alittle whine, But then again, I havent tried anything to really make it whine.

Regarding HX cable compatability:

I would imagine that HX models made by the same OEM can swap cables. IIRC the HX520 and HX620 are Seasonic made while the HX750 and HX850 are CWT. I haven't confirmed this though so don't take it to heart.

The whole point of this thread is that cable swapping between units might have contributed to a fried system. I wouldn't recommend the risk.

Redbeard, you are being fantastic with this issue and I am sure everyone appreciates it. this whole situation must be embarassing for you and Corsair.

However, the bottom line is that this is a top-of-the-line power supply from a very reputable company...there is really no excuse for "a very small number" of units being effected. I am sure Corsair will fix it, but it should never have happened. I hope the quality control people get a good smack for this.

I think I've read all of this thread, and I haven't seen any information confirming that the OP isn't responsible for mixing up modular cables with another supply. *IF* Corsair packaged the wrong cable pack with the supply THEN it's embarrassing for them. If the OP is at fault and Corsair helps him out then they should be getting all kudos and no one should be getting smacked.

We don't even know if the OP actually used the wrong cable in the first place. It may have indeed been a defective PSU, since the HX1000 and AX1200 cables are actually keyed differently and the HX1000 cables shouldn't be able to fit into the AX1200 modular panel.

Well I got the AX1200 installed & turned off all surrounding noises and turned down my fans to see if I would hear any coil whine & I did hear some low whine, But when I moved away from the pc, It seemed to be alittle easier to hear. Now I didnt do any tests like I've seen on videos showing ppl the whine when using OCCT or stuff, But I tried a game today & didnt hear any whine.

So far its working good. I guess unless it begins to sound like a banshee is when I'll be contacting Corsair, But until then, Its going fine.

I've got a co-worker who just got his 1200AX today and it's almost as loud as that video posted in another thread from what I could hear over skype. I've directed him to start RMA with it, but this is a really big bummer.

Redbeard, this one was from Ncix and doesn't have the ink screening on it either, so do these problems all seem to be with the early run units?

We don't even know if the OP actually used the wrong cable in the first place. It may have indeed been a defective PSU, since the HX1000 and AX1200 cables are actually keyed differently and the HX1000 cables shouldn't be able to fit into the AX1200 modular panel.

A defective PSU, whose voltage rails did not blow up the motherboard which accepts a plethora of all of the voltages available, but only blew the external devices which only consume +5 and +12? This strikes me as far less likely than a modular cable problem, but not impossible. One +12VDC rail could have been really, really high I suppose if this is a multi-rail supply as opposed to the combined/single rail design of many of the HX.

A defective PSU, whose voltage rails did not blow up the motherboard which accepts a plethora of all of the voltages available, but only blew the external devices which only consume +5 and +12? This strikes me as far less likely than a modular cable problem, but not impossible. One +12VDC rail could have been really, really high I suppose if this is a multi-rail supply as opposed to the combined/single rail design of many of the HX.
The +5V rail was most likely responsible. It is used by little if anything on the motherboard itself, but it powers the logic boards of HDs and SSDs.

thats just unacceptable.

how is this "unacceptable"...? and how is there "no excuse" for a very small number of units being affected...? show me one single computer product where there have never been any issues...

links too please, I want to see this...

if it's a very small number of products that's totally acceptable as long as the company does the right thing by the customers and actually this is why customer service is there in the first place, even for the best products out on the market, ANY market, sometimes have problems, sometimes products or less than desirable employees fall through the cracks and there are problems, it's just a part of business, the main thing is to find the problem, solve the problem and make it right...

Redbeard's involvement in this thread shows that Corsair is ready to do the right thing for those affected, kudos to them and him, how many reps do you see on a non product affiliated message board doing the same...?

I already addressed Redbeards awesomeness.

I really don't want to spend the next few hours doing research for you (I am sure you know there is no empirical data showing a 100% customer product survey on anything). I am not publishing a peer review journal article here; I am just voicing my opinion.

My point is that this is not a bargain psu from Rosewill, nor even the TX series...this is a brand new Gold standard, high dollar product line. The supposed creme de la creme, the pinnacle of all things psu. For their own sake (let alone the customers) Corsair should have tested the living heck out of these psu's before they left the factory.

We aren't talking about an electric toothbrush here...we are talking about $300 power supplies that fried the OP's components (amybe his mistake, maybe not). We aren't even talking about an obscure, hard-to-reproduce issue that effected 1 guy out in Zimbabwe. In the short time this psu has been out at least 3 people on just these forums have posted vids showing how the psu lets off a whine like a dying pig during normal operation.

Yes, I am sure Corsair will get the issue solved, but it should not have happened in the first place with this product line.

You may think this is acceptable, but I do not.

... it's just a part of business, the main thing is to find the problem, solve the problem and make it right...
In my opinion, the "main thing" is not to clean up messes when a defective product is released, but to keep them from happening in the first place. I agree that it is Customer Service's job to take care of customers after the fact. But it is Quality Control's job to make sure these mistakes do not happen. In this case, I think QC dropped the ball.

Last edited:
I think I've read all of this thread, and I haven't seen any information confirming that the OP isn't responsible for mixing up modular cables with another supply. *IF* Corsair packaged the wrong cable pack with the supply THEN it's embarrassing for them. If the OP is at fault and Corsair helps him out then they should be getting all kudos and no one should be getting smacked.

I was mainly addressing the coil whine.

Look, I own 3 Corsair units myself and they are on my psu shortlist. Other than this AX1200 I would recommend them to others. I am not on some crusade against Corsair. I am just calling a spade a spade and think a $300 psu should work properly without coil whine. Maybe my standards are too high, but that's me.

So, now I will back out of this thread.

I am just calling a spade a spade and think a $300 psu should work properly without coil whine. Maybe my standards are too high, but that's me.

So, now I will back out of this thread.

I totally agree.

In my opinion, the "main thing" is not to clean up messes when a defective product is released, but to keep them from happening in the first place. I agree that it is Customer Service's job to take care of customers after the fact. But it is Quality Control's job to make sure these mistakes do not happen. In this case, I think QC dropped the ball.

Of course - in a perfect world our QC would pick up any defects well before they ship. But this is just not possible. Every product ever released has a flaw of some type - some more serious than others, and we continue to be improve on every product after release. The number of small improvements to each PSU would astound you if you saw what changes we'd made since release.

For the record, I completely agree that a $300 PSU should have no flaws. But there are a small number of units that possess an issue that we were not able to identify in QC screens at first. This has happened, and we've already changed the QC screen to account for it.

So the real question is: "What do you do now?"

And the answer is that we'll replace any unit that a user is unhappy with. I'll personally make sure it happens through PMs and emails if I have to.

I think that's all we can do - put a screen in place to fix the issues, replace any faulty units that are already out there, and keep an eye out for it on future products.

Of course - in a perfect world our QC would pick up any defects well before they ship. But this is just not possible. Every product ever released has a flaw of some type - some more serious than others, and we continue to be improve on every product after release. The number of small improvements to each PSU would astound you if you saw what changes we'd made since release.

For the record, I completely agree that a $300 PSU should have no flaws. But there are a small number of units that possess an issue that we were not able to identify in QC screens at first. This has happened, and we've already changed the QC screen to account for it.

So the real question is: "What do you do now?"

And the answer is that we'll replace any unit that a user is unhappy with. I'll personally make sure it happens through PMs and emails if I have to.

I think that's all we can do - put a screen in place to fix the issues, replace any faulty units that are already out there, and keep an eye out for it on future products.
That's what most consumers could only ask for. Good customer service is bar none. Is there anything that a "customer" can do to look for units that have past the new QC? For instance any barcode's or prod numbers a consumer can look for?

That's what most consumers could only ask for. Good customer service is bar none. Is there anything that a "customer" can do to look for units that have past the new QC? For instance any barcode's or prod numbers a consumer can look for?

We can't tell you what's in the market right now - once it ships from Corsair to the reseller, it could be on the shelf for 3 minutes or 3 months, we have no control over that. But we are no longer shipping units without the fix in place.

Back