Awful tracking with my G500.

MrHuk

Limp Gawd
So my G5 died awhile ago and I was given a G500 as a replacement, even though I really didn't like it that much it worked just fine up until today. I'm a big Diablo fan so I bought myself the new Steelseries QCK Barbarian cloth pad which looks great and is huge but there's one problem, the bloody G500 won't track on it. It doesn't matter if I move the mouse fast/slow or use a low/high DPI it gives me the same results, choppy movement and sometimes no movement at all.

Is there anything I can do or is the G500 just the Windows ME of mice?

Also, I was looking at the G400, how does that fair on cloth and plastic surfaces?

Thats interesting, I haven't found a surface my G500 wont work on to date. The thing works on mirrors for goodness sake. You know, I think you might just need to ditch the new mousepad. The G500 is a solid mouse.

Mice prefer an all black/dark color surface. I'm always amused when gaming companies release mats like that Barbarian. Few mice track well on such exotic designs. Heck, with the low LOD firmware the Coolermaster Spawn will not track at all on your mat.

I currently use a func 1030 Archtype which is a fantastic pad, I've had it for about 6 years and one side is completely worn down LOL. I dunno, I really love the design on the QCK which is honestly the only reason I bought it, this func pad will easily last another couple of years. The one thing I really loved about the QCK was the size though, it's much bigger than my func.

As for the G500, I've never liked it, I got it around a year ago and it's never felt right. I use a fingertip grip and it's much more suited to a palm grip, even though I'm a big man it still feels a little awkward for my grip type. I'm seriously considering getting the G400 which is basically and upgraded MX 518.

I've been doing some reading and there's a lot of people with the same problem using the G500 in combination with the Steelseries QCK, apparently the sensor in the G500 just doesn't like cloth pads.

I had a G500 briefly . Got rid of it cause I couldn't stand the sandpaper like surface on the sides . I used it , as well as my Roccat Kone+ on 2 cloth pads I do have ( a Razer Goliathus speed edition , & a OCZ Behemoth Regulator) . I never did experience any tracking issues . Unless I'm mistaken , both the G500 & the Kone+ utilize the same sensor .

I should say, I use a cheapo black cloth mousepad that is years old and my G500 is flawless.

I use a G500 with my laptop because I've never yet found a surface it wouldn't track on.

+1 more tracks on pretty much everything... Maybe it's faulty (or dirty)? I use it in several places I don't want to take the g9x, so it works on books/tables/cloth everything...

Mice prefer an all black/dark color surface. I'm always amused when gaming companies release mats like that Barbarian. Few mice track well on such exotic designs. Heck, with the low LOD firmware the Coolermaster Spawn will not track at all on your mat.

? This is new to me. I find patterns or something other than a flat color is best for tracking. I do not know about the barbarian specifically I would say something else must be wrong. My G500 tracks on anything very well. Some of my older mice like the G5 have a little trouble with reflective surfaces. The only thing I could guess is that mouse pad has very solid colors and the mouse skips when it moves from 1 color to the next. But just having a all black surface means nothing to most modern mice I have every tried. It is only nice because it looks good.

Back