Awesome Amazon Shipment of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't care what anyone says, I love everything about Amazon's shipping. It's pretty speedy, well packed and, for the most part, it is usually free. Hell, even a twelve pack of Sharpies is shipped in style.

That's not too huge of a box. Who the hell orders 1 box of sharpies, though?

One of our distributors packs shipments like that, I'll get four packs of o-rings (about half the size of a pack of cigarettes) for a RC engine in a 24"x24"x12" box filled with packing material.

That's why they have a packaging feedback link; to help reduce those issues :)

I hate everything about Amazon's shipping. Mainly the fact you CAN NOT pick your carrier.

Everything from the failing USPS (if something is delivered by them I might not be able to pick it up till the weekend) to local carriers that show up in cars worse than the pizza delivery guy (yeah I really trust them :rolleyes: ).

prob went though this for a while
epic-fail-photos-monday-thru-friday-this-deliverys-going-to-take-a-while.gif

One of our distributors packs shipments like that, I'll get four packs of o-rings (about half the size of a pack of cigarettes) for a RC engine in a 24"x24"x12" box filled with packing material.

One word, cost savings. It's cheaper to have "standard" boxes that can fit a huge array of items. Most likely, they may not have had one smaller on hand. Their contract with the carriers is probably set up so that it doesn't matter what size, just weight because of the pure scale of their shipments. I highly doubt Amazon pays anything close to what the consumer pays to ship items.

I love Amazon, have had Prime since it come into existance, and use them for basically everything now. It's ironic that this was posted on the day of the first time I was disappointed with Amazon shipping. They shipped a Xonar in box with no padding just barely large enough to fit it. UPS had the courtesy to hammer the corner of it in, and all the extra parts were scattered out of their little packages. Luckily the card seems to be fine though so oh well.

I once got a free sticker from newegg that was shippped seperatly from a seperate part of the country with its own tracking code. It came in a giant box and a pound of packing peanuts.

Here is something I posted last time we had one of these Amazon shipment discussions.

I work at Amazon's Fernley, NV Fulfillment Center in receiving. One of the processes we do when we receive a brand new item in the facility is called "Cubiscan." What this basically is, is a laser scanner and scale that measures and weighs the product. I've seen some people that are doing this process put the whole case of a small product instead of just a single item on the Cubiscan station. If this does happen then of course the packing system is going to "recommend" a larger box than what is needed.

To add to that, in the shipping process the individual is told to use the box the system recommends to save time. Now if the item(s) is(are) too large for a box they are allowed to go to the next size up, but if the item(s) seems a little small they are told to just do it anyway instead of wasting time trying to figure out the right size to use.

Amazon's boxes are always oversized. So much that I get surprised when it's 'at size'. Then I remember, oh, an affiliate shipped this one.

I live in Fallon nv , not everything I order from Amazon comes from Fernley but I love it when it does its pretty much next day tho it goes to sparks then back to fallon, it travels 90 miles to go 27 miles thats ups for you.

Those bags are fun to pop! It's also funny to see the cat's reaction. She gives me this "WTF was that?" look and goes back to bed.

I hate everything about Amazon's shipping. Mainly the fact you CAN NOT pick your carrier.

Everything from the failing USPS (if something is delivered by them I might not be able to pick it up till the weekend) to local carriers that show up in cars worse than the pizza delivery guy (yeah I really trust them :rolleyes: ).

I've never heard anyone say that before, usually amazon shipping is on point.

Also, not to be pedantic or anything, but those local delivery people probably are USPS associates. In less densely populated areas, they contract out for package service. Incidentally, UPS often uses USPS for the "last leg" of the delivery so it can go UPS>USPS>contractor.

Picked up 2 2x4GB laptop memory upgrades from Amazon, and of course it's the well oversized, but "nearly UPS-resistant" box they shipped it in. Paper stuffing up the yin-yang to secure two tiny memory packages.

One courier guy I knew said a lot of his day was delivering empty boxes.

Why? His company made a big discount if you sent two deliveries rather than one.

Genius!

I've never heard anyone say that before, usually amazon shipping is on point.

Also, not to be pedantic or anything, but those local delivery people probably are USPS associates. In less densely populated areas, they contract out for package service. Incidentally, UPS often uses USPS for the "last leg" of the delivery so it can go UPS>USPS>contractor.

Not always. Around here, a lot of them are overnight couriers. And necrosis is way off. Those unmarked couriers are the bomb. When I see one of those services listed as my shipper I know my shit is going to be here ahead of schedule (love Lasership...UPS and FedEx can go pound sand).

Who the hell orders a pack of sharpies from Amazon? Looks like someone was fishing for something to complain about. I mean the packaging is unacceptable, but so is ordering a little box of sharpies from a few states away

Amazon's boxes are always oversized.

Not always. I got a hard drive packed like a VHS tape, inside form-fitting cardboard. Here's a pic I took after I opened it. It contained the HDD and the packing slip (underneath it). That was it.

100_1128s.jpg

Back