aware me, Ppl buying new GPU's for what games?

dwilson041781

[H]ard|Gawd
Its just that I see newer cards out now and just curious what games are out/coming out that justify buying a new GPU?

I can't see any more demanding game coming out. Unless Rage has über-requirement's.

Well, a lot of it depends on how large of a monitor a person is running too. 24"+ widescreens are pretty popular these days - and the increased resolutions typically benefit from faster cards.

Empire: Total War. My gts has held out for 2 years and i just don't see it holding up at 1920x1200. Still shopping around but its about time.

I upgrade because I like to do so. Thats really all there is to it for me. I can play most games at near max settings a 1920 x 1200 with my 9800GTX, but there is always room for improvement.

Yeah I can play pretty much any game max settings with my 8800gt @ 1080p aside from the few odd balls. (Crysis, Far Cry2, Clear Sky)

I just got a 4850x2. $259 for dual gpus was too good to pass up, especially since it out performs a gtx285. Fallout 3 plays great on this card. I game at 1920x1200 and like to max everything out with AA, and this card gets it done.

GTA4! If you can't crank up the draw-distance and see all the way across all 3 islands at once, you just aren't getting the real experience! (j/k)

I just got a 4850x2. $259 for dual gpus was too good to pass up, especially since it out performs a gtx285. Fallout 3 plays great on this card. I game at 1920x1200 and like to max everything out with AA, and this card gets it done.

What speeds have you been able to overclock your 4850x2 to so far?

Its just that I see newer cards out now and just curious what games are out/coming out that justify buying a new GPU?

I don't really have a good answer to this but I wanted to suggest that you add two more gigs of ram to your system and move to a 64 bit operation system before you evaluate your graphics needs. You might find that your current configuration is more capable than you think. An additional 2 gigs of memory gave my 8800GTX based system a new lease on life.

If you are playing at 1680 or less you'll probably be able to skip the entire GTX280/GTX285 series of cards.

I don't really have a good answer to this but I wanted to suggest that you add two more gigs of ram to your system and move to a 64 bit operation system before you evaluate your graphics needs. You might find that your current configuration is more capable than you think. An additional 2 gigs of memory gave my 8800GTX based system a new lease on life.

If you are playing at 1680 or less you'll probably be able to skip the entire GTX280/GTX285 series of cards.

Pardon my 64bit OS ignorance as I have been out of the scene for a lil while. If I go with a 64bit os with the suggested 4gigs of ram, can I still install 32bit apps? Mainly games of course.(just hate to run into issues with games or drivers)

and yea my monitor res is 1680x1050 21.6 samsung. does it for me for now, might go 24-26" someday, then I guess looking into a gtx260 or 280 series would def be needed.

Pardon my 64bit OS ignorance as I have been out of the scene for a lil while. If I go with a 64bit os with the suggested 4gigs of ram, can I still install 32bit apps? Mainly games of course.(just hate to run into issues with games or drivers)

and yea my monitor res is 1680x1050 21.6 samsung. does it for me for now, might go 24-26" someday, then I guess looking into a gtx260 or 280 series would def be needed.

I've run 64bit Vista and Windows7 and not one of them so far had any driver/application issues. Results may vary.

32 bit apps run just fine. You'll need 64-bit drivers, but due to Microsoft forcing companies to provide them for both 32 and 64 bit versions, its really not a big deal at all. Having switched to 64-bit, I see no reason to ever go back.

Two things, what size monitor you running again ? And the economy blows for most of us, no VideoCard upgrades for me this year.

If you have a 30" Display, you need to be running the latest and greatest GPU around, a 27" monitor still needs a pretty bad ass card, at least a GTX-260 or 4870 1gb. Anything lower es like 1600x1200 you can get buy with older card or budget cards for less than $149 for sure.

gta4 runs like crap on my 4850 at 1680x1050 unless i settle for crap graphics. more of a game issue though.

Id have to agree, I dont have crysis but I will say my pc runs every game I have thrown at it 1920x1080 everything maxed. I dont understand the dual gpu stuff right now tbh, more of a hassle than its worth to me.

I think those folks are buying the newest video cards thinking: "Just in case there's a new game that might use this card"

Instead of: "If I wait for the games requiring high-end cards first, THEN buy a card, I can save more money or get more performance".

I made some compromises I was not happy with so I upgraded from a 9800gtx to a 295. Very happy with it. Will not upgrade for some time or at least until I go Core i7 late summer/early winter this year. Also Aion using the Cry engine makes me drool

Which, it seems, is pretty much all you do.

Oh Wally, replaying to every post I make, spamming me on steam friends all day, coming into the ventrilo I use, and finding out all of my personal information. You're becoming quite the stalker.

I will always upgrade till I can get 60fps min with all eye candy on with 8xAA/16xAF/TSAA at 2560x1600.

Oh Wally, replaying to every post I make, spamming me on steam friends all day, coming into the ventrilo I use, and finding out all of my personal information. You're becoming quite the stalker.

I'm your biggest fan.

Also, let's not pretend you didn't spam me insisting I join your Vent. Anyway: pics plz.

Not so much a game, but something that works on most 3D games, is stereo 3D. If you ever try to run a fast frames shooter in high resolution with stereoscopic drivers you may understand that the need for more powerful cards is immediate. Basically, if you want 1920x1200 per eye (for those who have two) you need up to twice the performance from your video card

Actually just going up to 4GB would be an upgrade even though a 32bit OS would not recognize all 4GB.

As for 64 bit Windows 7 beta is the only 64 bit OS I've used and there are very few issues. There are some issues though. Most of the mainstream games work fine--in some cases better than fine it seems. Vista 64 is probably better. Microsoft never shipped my 64bit disc for some reason so I don't know.

I just don't think it is the right time for budget minded 8800GTX owners to upgrade unless you are at a high resolution. There are just too many games that the 8800GTX still knocks out of the park. Also, assuming Crysis/Warhead represents the GPU requirements of at least some games of the next two years, GTX280/285 is probably not strong enough to justify its high-end price point. It does not really render Crysis with the type of authority that 8800GTX rendered, say, Oblivion at launch. I'm looking for a card to replace my GTX that will see me through the whole Crysis generation of games--not just render Crysis at 40fps or so.

Actually just going up to 4GB would be an upgrade even though a 32bit OS would not recognize all 4GB.

As for 64 bit Windows 7 beta is the only 64 bit OS I've used and there are very few issues. There are some issues though. Most of the mainstream games work fine--in some cases better than fine it seems. Vista 64 is probably better. Microsoft never shipped my 64bit disc for some reason so I don't know.

I just don't think it is the right time for budget minded 8800GTX owners to upgrade unless you are at a high resolution. There are just too many games that the 8800GTX still knocks out of the park. Also, assuming Crysis/Warhead represents the GPU requirements of at least some games of the next two years, GTX280/285 is probably not strong enough to justify its high-end price point. It does not really render Crysis with the type of authority that 8800GTX rendered, say, Oblivion at launch. I'm looking for a card to replace my GTX that will see me through the whole Crysis generation of games--not just render Crysis at 40fps or so.

So true. Currently I'm happy with my 8800gts 640mb. I know it's old, but I can't really find a real reason to upgrade for only a few fps gains in games that I already get great performance on. So yeah, I'll buy the first card that renders crysis at max at 60+fps :D

Running a GTX280 right now. More than enough for my needs. I'm anticipating picking up a GT300 for RAGE, but that's still a long ways off.

I'll second the 4GB of RAM and Vista or Windows 7 x64 comment. Also, dwilson, if you happen to have a SLI capable board and a PSU that can take the load, a second 8800 GTX is a great option (~$125) if you're looking for a boost. 8800 GTX SLI is as fast as a single GTX 280 in many cases.

Empire Total War will probably require alot of graphical grunt. Tho most of it will depend on the CPU as it has been programmed to " RUN GREAT ON CORE I7".

I think those folks are buying the newest video cards thinking: "Just in case there's a new game that might use this card"

Instead of: "If I wait for the games requiring high-end cards first, THEN buy a card, I can save more money or get more performance".

In my case, I run VSync, and Triple Buffering (when available,) decent amounts of AA and AF, and I like my frames to stay above sync. I hate tearing, I hate jitter, stutter, hitches, etc. I play at 1920x1200, and the GTX-295 is the first card that's run every game I play exactly how I want to play it. It was worth every penny to me.

Playable to me means silky synced graphics in the highest modes games have to offer. (Crysis doesn't run at my monitor's refresh rate, but for some reason it still looks good at 30+ fps. (I use max settings in it, and maybe the detail compensates somewhat psychologically. Most other games though don't look good to me unless they're running at 60.)

I also think it's important to match your video with the rest of your system's capabilities. For me it would be silly to use my i7 system for games if I didn't have something to match it. (I need the i7 for other things (I compose music, and do other upper-end audio tasks that I need the power for.) I also play games on it though, so it just seems logical to take advantage of that.

I don't think you NEED to have a card like that to play games well. It depends on the rest of your system, your standards for how you want your games to look, the size of your display, etc. etc.

Back