AW3821DW (Nov 2020) with GSync Ultimate

That Alienware Command Center software seems to have installed itself. Appeared this morning after shutting down my PC with a Windows Update.

I was hoping it had more on screen controls for the monitor, but seems to be all about the lighting FX, plus minimal power options that Windows usually sets (Timer to turn off screen or when to go to sleep)

...as I moved across, every dimming zone would flicker once (the green desktop would visible pop darker for a split second). Depended on speed and could happen in any of the dimming modes.
Now that I think about it, the two windows in my screenshot may have been overlapping at or very close to where two dimming zones meet...

Now that I think about it, the two windows in my screenshot may have been overlapping at or very close to where two dimming zones meet...

It seems buggy for dimming zones to briefly flicker during some desktop movement when the overall desktop and apps are bright enough to where there should be a change.

Hopefully this can be addressed in firmware updates?

We can only hope... for both the flickering and an SRGB mode.
But are Dell known for releasing firmware updates?
It's been a while since I've had one.

We can only hope... for both the flickering and an SRGB mode.
But are Dell known for releasing firmware updates?
It's been a while since I've had one.

Earlier I searched for other sRGB complaints with Dell monitors and came across one for another gaming Dell monitor. A Dell representative responded basically saying there was no plans to add sRGB emulation to avoid changes to the FreeSync Premium Pro requirements, unless they disable certain functionality while in an sRGB mode. Didn't sound like it was high priority for that screen. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Here it is:
https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2721DGFA-add-sRGB-emulation-mode/td-p/7749526
(Check second highlighted post with quoted response from Rahu from 12-17-2020l)

I'm wondering, with this being a G-Sync monitor, would they have same issue that could be problem for certifications, in this case, G-Sync Ultimate.

Thanks for that.
Cool comparison in the original post, could be an eye-opener for those who don't mind oversaturation without a reference point :)

Yeah, I recall reading something somewhere about the lack of an SRGB mode maaaybe having something to do with the G-Sync Ultimate certification...

If you use SpyderX for example to calibrate, does the result give you an ICC profile, which may not be respected by games, or does it do something else; which works across all SDR?

Last edited:
I’m considering going back to UW, how is this monitor? Generally speaking, solid buy?

I’m considering going back to UW, how is this monitor? Generally speaking, solid buy?
I 100% am not gonna return it. Def not worth 1700 but for 1200-1300$ its a solid buy, IMO.

It's a way more immersive and better experience than my XB271HU, but YMMV. I also had to buy a deep desk so the stand wouldn't be too close.

I 100% am not gonna return it. Def not worth 1700 but for 1200-1300$ its a solid buy, IMO.

It's a way more immersive and better experience than my XB271HU, but YMMV. I also had to buy a deep desk so the stand wouldn't be too close.
Ha good to know.. I’ll see if I can catch any deals. I had the AW34 then went to the LG CX 48, which is flipping amazing, but waaaaay to big for my desk haha. 34” was great but 38” feels like the perfect fit for my needs.

Tried to capture some flickering in HDR mode, Mode 0, desktop.

I had recorded at 240fps - played back at normal speed - (Overkill) - so when using SnagIt to capture and convert to a GIF at 15fps, many of the small subtle flickers are lost. But you still see some large instances across the top.

Flickering.gif

Personal note: This kind of behavior with the local dimming zones should be considered defective or a major bug and not acceptable in a commercial product. While I'm doing my best to trigger it, it just simply shouldn't be an issue, whether you plan to run with HDR enabled at all times or not. This won't force me to return the AW, but it's very sad this is considered good enough with local dimming for release.

Last edited:
Finally attached the AW to the Ergotron HX arm and cleaned up my desk. After I attached it to the arm, I couldn't adjust the tension on the main upper arm. Seemed more difficult than when I bought it, in clockwise or counter clockwise. I'd start to hear something else move slight left or inside the casing versus the tension screw turning. Very odd.

AW3821DW-001.jpeg

Spent an hour to get my Philips Hue Play lights off my old monitor. Decided to mount them to the desk after that nightmare. Used Velcro strips this time. Nice effect, but not as immersive as if attached to the monitor. Maybe in a few months when I know nothing is wrong with the monitor, I'll move them to the display, with the easier to remove velcro strips.

AW3821DW-002.jpeg

Love the flexibility of the arm. Such as moving the display to the right side away from the desk for more light, or push back more than the stand would allow to work on the Cintiq, or forward when sitting back for a game.

AW3821DW-003.jpeg

Due to the cables aiming downward on the AW, I limited the slack to prevent them from sticking out and becoming visible. I just can't tilt the screen towards ceiling much.

AW3821DW-004.jpeg

If you use SpyderX for example to calibrate, does the result give you an ICC profile, which may not be respected by games, or does it do something else; which works across all SDR?
Yes.
I had a Spyder5 before the i1D3, it was absolutely fine for monitor calibration.

The calibration software (whatever ships with the meter or DisplayCal which I prefer, it's free) will create and install an ICC profile that will be used in SDR by certain applications like photo editing software (think Lightroom, Photoshop and the likes), browsers (Chrome out of the box, Firefox needs a tweak in about:config) and other colour management -aware applications (Thunderbird for example, but it needs the same change as Firefox).
Games largely ignore ICCs, from what I've seen but if you don't mind tinkering you could create a LUT file with DisplayCal and force games to use it with Reshade.
The latter is too much hassle for me, I switch Windows to HDR but I don't enable HDR in games that support it because of black crush.

Last edited:
Tried to capture some flickering in HDR mode, Mode 0, desktop.

I had recorded at 240fps - played back at normal speed - (Overkill) - so when using SnagIt to capture and convert to a GIF at 15fps, many of the small subtle flickers are lost. But you still see some large instances across the top.

View attachment 319513

Personal note: This kind of behavior with the local dimming zones should be considered defective or a major bug and not acceptable in a commercial product. While I'm doing my best to trigger it, it just simply shouldn't be an issue, whether you plan to run with HDR enabled at all times or not. This won't force me to return the AW, but it's very sad this is considered good enough with local dimming for release.
Hmm... I wonder if this is affecting only the AW or other displays too, like the LGs with the same panel.
I didn't think to check the WN95C when I had it :(

Finally attached the AW to the Ergotron HX arm and cleaned up my desk. After I attached it to the arm, I couldn't adjust the tension on the main upper arm. Seemed more difficult than when I bought it, in clockwise or counter clockwise. I'd start to hear something else move slight left or inside the casing versus the tension screw turning. Very odd.

View attachment 319605

Spent an hour to get my Philips Hue Play lights off my old monitor. Decided to mount them to the desk after that nightmare. Used Velcro strips this time. Nice effect, but not as immersive as if attached to the monitor. Maybe in a few months when I know nothing is wrong with the monitor, I'll move them to the display, with the easier to remove velcro strips.

View attachment 319606

Love the flexibility of the arm. Such as moving the display to the right side away from the desk for more light, or push back more than the stand would allow to work on the Cintiq, or forward when sitting back for a game.

View attachment 319608

Due to the cables aiming downward on the AW, I limited the slack to prevent them from sticking out and becoming visible. I just can't tilt the screen towards ceiling much.

View attachment 319609
Great setup! I’ll probably get an arm for this right away. I’m excited to go back to UW.

Did you calibrate?

Last edited:
Can you see this happen at less than 240 fps? I can see it happen in your gif, but I can't see it trying what you tried on my screen.

Can you see this happen at less than 240 fps? I can see it happen in your gif, but I can't see it trying what you tried on my screen.

I can see it with my eye while recording and with the playback at running at the full 240fps on the 144hz screen. I had planned to use slow-mo to show what was happening, as standard frame might skip over the quick flickers. But as you see, even after screen recording the video file (not sure what frame rate Snagit used for capture) and then converted to 15fps, some flickers still managed to remain.

I’ll try recording with standard frame rate, should still capture it. Maybe post a full video instead of a GIF.

Hmm... I wonder if this is affecting only the AW or other displays too, like the LGs with the same panel.
I didn't think to check the WN95C when I had it :(

I still have the WN95c, don’t need to return it until Feb 11th (to local Best Buy). Now that the AW is on the arm, should be easier to make room to put the LG on my desk again. I’ll test to see if has similar flickering. Might not get to it today.

Great setup! I’ll probably get an arm for this right away. I’m excited to go back to UW.

Did you calibrate?

I might look into a device for color calibration in the future, but otherwise I've left everything as is and just using the Nvidia digital vibrance slider as needed.

Is there a specific colorimeter that works with this type of display (nano-IPS)?

When I installed the ICC profile for the WN95c, colors looked immediately pale. Red just didn't look red anymore. So I'm hesitant to see what Dell has provided.

Yep, something similar happened to me... Now the question is: how can I unistall the ICC DELL profile? :playful::playful:

Nice! Waiting for a sale to order one. I tried the 34” and feel it’s too short. The 38” will be perfect for me as my first ultrawide.

Yep, something similar happened to me... Now the question is: how can I unistall the ICC DELL profile? :playful::playful:

Open Color Management in Windows 10 (hit Windows key and start typing for it), I think you can remove it there, or at least replace it with standard sRGB 2.1 profile. There's also a checkbox "Use my settings for this device" that might disable the custom ICC. I don't have any profile added so I can't test. There may be a way to remove the Dell profile entirely in the next tab "All Profiles" + plus check what is set in the Advanced tab as well.

Many thanks, Timothy, it works.

Excuse me, but monitor has speakers? 'Cause I tried to select DELL AW3821 on audio icon from the taskbar, but I can't hear nothing. :(:(:(

Attachments

• dell.png
    dell.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
Many thanks, Timothy, it works.

Excuse me, but monitor has speakers? 'Cause I tried to select DELL AW3821 on audio icon from the taskbar, but I can't hear nothing. :(:(:(

No speakers, but I believe the audio is for a headphone jack under the middle front of the monitor, between the two extra USB ports, around that downward light strip.

No speakers, but I believe the audio is for a headphone jack under the middle front of the monitor, between the two extra USB ports, around that downward light strip.
Yep, it has an audio jack right up front and a speaker jack in the back with all the USB and video stuff. No speakers though.

Well, I just snagged this. I know I may be a bit crazy replacing the LG CX48, but I believe it’s the right choice. Should be here next week.

Well, I just snagged this. I know I may be a bit crazy replacing the LG CX48, but I believe it’s the right choice. Should be here next week.
Were you using the CX48 as a monitor? I kinda wish I had one as a TV :p

I think it was the right choice, I mean it is the one I made after all :D. I thought about the CX48 but ya, just too big to use as a monitor. I couldn't figure out a way to mount it far enough away from me so that I wouldn't be straining my neck to look at it. I'm not saying that someone couldn't design a room to work with it, but it wouldn't work at monitor distances for me. Plus I just worry about burn-in from desktop usage. So a big ultrawide it was and I like it :D

I think it was the right choice, I mean it is the one I made after all :D. I thought about the CX48 but ya, just too big to use as a monitor. I couldn't figure out a way to mount it far enough away from me so that I wouldn't be straining my neck to look at it. I'm not saying that someone couldn't design a room to work with it, but it wouldn't work at monitor distances for me. Plus I just worry about burn-in from desktop usage. So a big ultrawide it was and I like it :D
38 UW is perfect for desktop use, unfortunately the 3821dw leaves a lot to be desired...but there are options coming up the 40: LG UW 5K panel looks interesting and the 42" OLEDs would work too...in the mean time my XR382 soldiers on...

I can see it with my eye while recording and with the playback at running at the full 240fps on the 144hz screen. I had planned to use slow-mo to show what was happening, as standard frame might skip over the quick flickers. But as you see, even after screen recording the video file (not sure what frame rate Snagit used for capture) and then converted to 15fps, some flickers still managed to remain.

I’ll try recording with standard frame rate, should still capture it. Maybe post a full video instead of a GIF.

I still have the WN95c, don’t need to return it until Feb 11th (to local Best Buy). Now that the AW is on the arm, should be easier to make room to put the LG on my desk again. I’ll test to see if has similar flickering. Might not get to it today.

Would you mind testing in-game HDR as well, on the LG?
This, assuming your AW also has black crush like mine (RTX3080 with latest drivers, RGB 10bit at 120Hz)...
The crush is immediately noticeable in the first scene of the benchmark for Shadow of the Tomb Raider or at the start of the tutorial for Gears 5 before the pod turns on the lights. Keeping HDR activated in Windows but turned off in-game produces "correct" blacks/shadow detail.

38 UW is perfect for desktop use, unfortunately the 3821dw leaves a lot to be desired...but there are options coming up the 40: LG UW 5K panel looks interesting and the 42" OLEDs would work too...in the mean time my XR382 soldiers on...
This options seems a long way away... and how does the Dell 38 left to be desired? Just curious on opinions. I loved my Dell AW34, but wanted bigger.

The 40" dell is only 60Hz. ABL on OLEDs (plus burn in concerns) is a no from me. I tried to use my C9 as a gaming monitor and it also leaves a lot to be desired. There will always be compromises. I believe this AW monitor is the best option for most that want a large, high refresh rate, gaming and productivity display at the moment. You can always wait for the next big thing.

If anyone is looking, topcashback is 7% right now. for Dell If you have AMEX Platinum Business, it's a good deal right now.

10-12% off Dell Home or Capital One Spring Dell coupon, 7% cash back, and AMEX 10%/ $100 off.

The 40" dell is only 60Hz. ABL on OLEDs (plus burn in concerns) is a no from me. I tried to use my C9 as a gaming monitor and it also leaves a lot to be desired. There will always be compromises. I believe this AW monitor is the best option for most that want a large, high refresh rate, gaming and productivity display at the moment. You can always wait for the next big thing.
That was why I ended up getting one. It is easy to get in to the cycle of "This isn't perfect, maybe I should wait for the Next Big Thing(tm)," but then you don't have something new to use and you wait and wait, often it takes way longer than initially advertised (these 38" were a case like that, they took a long time to come to market after they'd been promoted) and that thing isn't perfect either. So I decided that this looked good, looked like what I wanted and I could have it now. So I did, and I'm happy. I'm sure something better will come along, but who knows when or how good it will be? Until then, I have this and it is good.

This, assuming your AW also has black crush like mine (RTX3080 with latest drivers, RGB 10bit at 120Hz)...
The crush is immediately noticeable in the first scene of the benchmark for Shadow of the Tomb Raider or at the start of the tutorial for Gears 5 before the pod turns on the lights. Keeping HDR activated in Windows but turned off in-game produces "correct" blacks/shadow detail.

I don’t own Shadow of the Tomb Raider, though the demo might have the benchmark based on what I looked up (downloading now). I can get Gears 5 with Game Pass, but it requires 110 gigs, so I may I’ll hold off on that one right now.

Scaling and Aspect ratio controls?

Just realized I can’t find standard controls for scaling, stretching, 1:1 and so on.

Say you got a game that only runs 16:9, and 2560x1440 is your highest option, this means it will always upscale. What if you wanted the pixels 1:1 for clarity?

Scaling and Aspect ratio controls?

Just realized I can’t find standard controls for scaling, stretching, 1:1 and so on.

Say you got a game that only runs 16:9, and 2560x1440 is your highest option, this means it will always upscale. What if you wanted the pixels 1:1 for clarity?
Set it in the nVidia control panel. I don't know that Gsync modules have good scalers (the hardware where the scaler would normally be is what the Gsync module replaces) so have the GPU do it instead.

Okay, ran the demo benchmark for Tomb Raider.

SDR Game - Default Graphic (high)/Display Settings (Windows HDR on)
  1. Scene 1 - Looked good. SDR probably helped this night scene. Could see details in nearly all the areas
  2. Scenes 2 & 3 - Looked good
HDR Game - Default Graphic (high)/Display Settings (Windows HDR on, Monitor set to Mode 0)
  1. Scene 1 - Immediately very dark, even in the menu. Hard to tell if it was crushed or just very very dim. So much so that the display backlighting was becoming noticeable and distracting in this scene.
  2. Scenes 2 - Looked good, didn't suffer as much in that night scene did upon switching to HDR
  3. Scenes 3 - This scene, once in moves to ground level with people, the rocky walls seems crushed in several areas, especially around the steps just after the camera rotated around the butcher.
HDR Game - Change -> Game Brightness Slider Maxed, otherwise default Graphic (high)/Display Settings (Windows HDR on, Monitor set to Mode 0)
  1. Scene 1 - Suddenly this looked almost the same as the SDR test, just a bit more luminance in the lights and signs I think.
  2. Scenes 2 - Looked good, despite the game brightness at 100, still had plenty of contrast
  3. Scenes 3 - This scene, again, once in moves to ground level with the people, while this time you could make out more detail in the rock walls, there's still a hint of detail lost between the rocks
Maybe the mid-point for HDR is really messed up in Tomb Raider. With this setting, totally playable, though, still a bit of information lost here in there. Like the opening scene in the demo where Lara frees her leg and it hands over control for the first time, camera looking down at her. The rocky wall below her at the bottom of the screen, you lose detail there. But again, not enough that you would notice unless you compared to maybe SDR?

Is there a way to compensate for this in Gears 5?

Also, I've been playing Cyberpunk in HDR and haven't noticed any issues there. Though, that game has a mid-point slider to help balance the dark areas with the max luminance you set it to. Only a few times have I walked myself into a really really dark area where I can't see anything, at which point I should of tested if there was a problem.

Back