AW3821DW (Nov 2020) with GSync Ultimate

I measured my screen with I1 Display Pro Plus. Pretty bad contrast (850:1) Also I have to choose Custom Color in the monitor settings as the "Game 1/2/3" RGB settings do nothing..

Edit : I remade some contrast measurements with Variable Backlight on:
Mode 0 : 989:1.
Mode 1 : 1006:1
Mode 2 : 834:1
Just FYI the RGBCMY settings in Game 1/2/3 do actually do something, but they aren't gains like in custom color. They are saturation controls like the 6-axis color control you see on TVs. Not particularly useful since most calibration software doesn't work with those. If you had Calman you could in theory use them to restrict color gamut but ya.

Hopefully Dell changes around their firmware to allow for color gains in more modes. It is clear they could do it, as if you use the Xrite software and have it to Auto Display Calibration it has no issues automatically setting the gains regardless of mode. However as soon as you go and choose/change the mode, it resets it.

Thanks for clarification. I found a new problem with my unit and it is really bad uniformity of the panel.
There is red tint on the left side and green tint on the right side. It is subtle but particulary visible with plain white background.
Not sure if it is fixable with a firmware update.

Thanks for clarification. I found a new problem with my unit and it is really bad uniformity of the panel.
There is red tint on the left side and green tint on the right side. It is subtle but particulary visible with plain white background.
Not sure if it is fixable with a firmware update.

Mine had that as well which is why I returned it. Every ultrawide panel I've had (5 now) has the same uniformity issue to varying degrees, but the Alienware was the worst I've seen. The right side was also noticeably darker which compounded the problem. It wasn't noticeable during gaming really, but as soon as I was doing any sort of activity with single-color backgrounds it just nagged at me.

And now a new problem : sometimes the HDR button in Windows doesn't work at all. It is displayed as normal in the display settings menu but when I activated it, the monitor goes black and returns back to SDR mode. After 5-10 tries, it's finally working but this is really annoying.
In conclusion:
+ Good HDR rendering
+ Nice resolution/size ratio (I couldn't go back to my old 35inch 3440*1400 monitor now)
- upper part of the screen flickers with HDR activated in Windows AND games (I suspect that Variable Backlight does that)
- bad color uniformity : reddish in the left part - greenish in the right part
- bad contrast ratio : 850:1 without VBL, 1000:1 with VBL activated (Mode 1 seems to be the best setting)
- sometimes HDR activation is bugging (it could be a Windows 10 bug)
- can't edit the RGB values in the 3 custom presets

It's my first alienware monitor (coming from an Acer Z35P) and I begin to think that it is a pretty crap monitor company. Now the question is if these problems are common on all these generation of panels or specific to my unit? I wonder if another model from another brand does the job better in 3840*1600? Does Dell release firmware updates often?

Edit : Finally, HDR also flicker in games :( this monitor is totally crap for its price. I probably will return it. My simple advice is don't buy it.

Last edited:
And now a new problem : sometimes the HDR button in Windows doesn't work at all. It is displayed as normal in the display settings menu but when I activated it, the monitor goes black and returns back to SDR mode. After 5-10 tries, it's finally working but this is really annoying.
In conclusion:
+ Good HDR rendering
+ Nice resolution/size ratio (I couldn't go back to my old 35inch 3440*1400 monitor now)
- upper part of the screen flickers with HDR activated in Windows AND games (I suspect that Variable Backlight does that)
- bad color uniformity : reddish in the left part - greenish in the right part
- bad contrast ratio : 850:1 without VBL, 1000:1 with VBL activated (Mode 1 seems to be the best setting)
- sometimes HDR activation is bugging (maybe a Windows 10 bug)
- can't edit the RGB values in the 3 custom presets

It's my first alienware monitor (coming from an Acer Z35P) and I begin to think that it is a pretty crap monitor company. Now the question is if these problems are common on all these generation of panels or specific to my unit? I wonder if another model from another brand does the job better in 3840*1600? Does Dell release firmware updates often?

Edit : Finally, HDR also flicker in games :( this monitor is totally crap for its price. I probably will return it. My simple advice is don't buy it.

Check out this poll on Reddit asking for users if they are returning it due to problems, minor problems but happy, flawless, or potential buyer, it’s really mixed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Zone Flicker in HDR,
I noticed this now and then with the 38WN95 I just got. Local dimming would flicker on the sides or corners. Since the zones are like triple the size, really noticeable when it does it. The LG lets you disable the local dimming, or even force it on for SDR.

Resolution Question:
Are you able to set it to 3440x1440 in games? I noticed when I fired up Cyberpunk on the WN, this res was missing, even though I just used it on a 38UC99. I haven’t tested other games or the desktop yet. Sometimes that slightly lower res is the only option for desired performance, even if not as sharp.

HDR toggle:
I can’t say I experienced that with the LG, yet. Could it have been a one time Windows glitch that required a restart, or some running app or game causing an issue? But odd that it worked after multiple attempts.

Thoughts,
It is frustrating that for this money there are problems, even if your list was 1/3 the length. Sadly, for an ultimate productivity monitor and gaming at this size/aspect, not many alternatives out there that check as many boxes as these do. There’s the older 27 4K HDR1000 fully array screens, but you need to sacrifice size, workspace, add fan noise, etc (pixel density is nicer, and those screens are known to have nice color). The upcoming 32 4K screens that offer beyond HDR1000 will cost nearly double, so even waiting longer for newer screens seems pointless.

For me, I now can’t just go back to the 38UC99 after experiencing 144hz, VRR, and better input response (less lag). For example, even if I set the WN to 60hz, matching the UC, triple check mouse acceleration is off, and set the monitors side by side, then move a window quickly between them, I can see the older UC lagging behind just a bit, like it’s catching up to my hand movement, while the WN, feels nearly locked to my hand and makes the interface feel lighter and connected. This difference in input grows when I set it to 144hz again.

Last edited:
I think the mixed poll is a function of two things:

1) Some displays are better than others. This has always been an issue with monitors, sadly. They just don't seem to do a good job of weeding out the problem children so you do sometimes get ones that are crap.

2) Some people are really fussy, others are not. I've noticed that some people really think that monitors should have zero flaws at all, a standard that is pretty unrealistically high, and are only satisfied if they happen to get one of the few perfect panels. Others are happy so long as the panel looks good and don't go hunting for minor imperfections.

The zone flicker is just a function of the backlight. You can control how much it does with the settings. Mode 2 is going to be the least, Mode 0 is going to be the most. Of course with more flicker comes better contrast as it reacts faster. Going to be up to the individual what the tradeoff is that is right. Personally I've taken to using Mode 0 even in SDR for almost everything. While I do notice the zones flicking on, I've gotten used to it and I like the increased contrast you get. Others may find it too distracting and not want it as aggressive, or want it off.

How's the bleed and IPS glow on the AW3821DW?

Here's how my new 38WN95c looks, for those considering it as an alternative, plus compared to an older 38UC99. Scroll down further to see the latency issue with the old screen.

Would like to know if this is acceptable or not. Debating if I should keep my Alienware order to later compare around 1/12. That's the one thing I forgot about monitor shopping, accepting the panel lottery and not go through numerous replacements that could just be worse than the previous.
  • The blue tint to the IPS glow on the bottom, plus tiny bleed, is bothering me a bit compared to the 38UC99, but it could be plenty worse.
  • All photos exaggerate things a bit, and most the time you might not notice the glow or bleed in normal use, except darker scenes or viewing 16:9 with side bars.

IPS-Glow-and-Bleed-Comparison.jpg

Also, check out the lag on the old 38UC99 against the 38WN95c
  • Left - 38WN95c at 144hz
  • Right - 38UC99 at 60hz, set to Custom-Game mode
  • Mouse acceleration off | using Logitech G Pro

Recorded in slow-motion
Lag-Vertical-Motion.gif

Lag-Horizontal-Motion.gif

Last edited:
Check out this poll on Reddit asking for users if they are returning it due to problems, minor problems but happy, flawless, or potential buyer, it’s really mixed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Zone Flicker in HDR,
I noticed this now and then with the 38WN95 I just got. Local dimming would flicker on the sides or corners. Since the zones are like triple the size, really noticeable when it does it. The LG lets you disable the local dimming, or even force it on for SDR.

Resolution Question:
Are you able to set it to 3440x1440 in games? I noticed when I fired up Cyberpunk on the WN, this res was missing, even though I just used it on a 38UC99. I haven’t tested other games or the desktop yet. Sometimes that slightly lower res is the only option for desired performance, even if not as sharp.

HDR toggle:
I can’t say I experienced that with the LG, yet. Could it have been a one time Windows glitch that required a restart, or some running app or game causing an issue? But odd that it worked after multiple attempts.

Thoughts,
It is frustrating that for this money there are problems, even if your list was 1/3 the length. Sadly, for an ultimate productivity monitor and gaming at this size/aspect, not many alternatives out there that check as many boxes as these do. There’s the older 27 4K HDR1000 fully array screens, but you need to sacrifice size, workspace, add fan noise, etc (pixel density is nicer, and those screens are known to have nice color). The upcoming 32 4K screens that offer beyond HDR1000 will cost nearly double, so even waiting longer for newer screens seems pointless.

For me, I now can’t just go back to the 38UC99 after experiencing 144hz, VRR, and better input response (less lag). For example, even if I set the WN to 60hz, matching the UC, triple check mouse acceleration is off, and set the monitors side by side, then move a window quickly between them, I can see the older UC lagging behind just a bit, like it’s catching up to my hand movement, while the WN, feels nearly locked to my hand and makes the interface feel lighter and connected. This difference in input grows when I set it to 144hz again.
That is why I went back to my Acer XR382...

I think the bleed and glow varies a lot by unit. On mine? Minimal. There is a little bleed around the bottom corners. The bottom right corner is hardly noticeable at all, the bottom left is slightly more but not much. IPS glow is about what I'd expect. Since it is something that gets worse at larger angles, and this display is so wide, there is more glow along the sides. That is part of why I keep the backlight in Mode 0 even in SDR, it deals with it to a large extent. If you have 16:9 content or something and the sides are dark, it dims the backlight which of course dims the glow.

Bleed and glow are definitely a lottery thing. I personally have no issues with my unit. What I definitely don't have that I'm seeing in your pics are the points of light at the bottom.

I confirm that AW38 has really low bleed and glow. Good point. But once Variable Backlight is activated, you will see lots of glow around objects on dark background but it's a rare situation. I am more concern about VBL flickering issue.

Last edited:
All of this fanfare and not one of them is even 4K?

I mean, if you want 4K, where the vertical res is 2160, then you are looking at a full resolution of 5120 x 2160 on an UltraWide, more pixels than a normal 4K screen, kind of hard to drive most games at that unless you run 16:9 now and then for normal 4K, or for full screen, run at a lower UltraWide res, causing interpolation. LG has a 34inch UltraWide with that, but only 60hz. You probably have to scale UI too.

I just think of the 38inch 16:10 display as a 4K screen (3840 across) that is about as large as it can be before the pixels are too large, and the top and bottom cut off so I don’t have to look up and down due to how close you are at a desk.

I’d totally buy a 5kx2k version of the 38 if offered. Or a 32in 16:9 4K, but those options are limited as well.

Side note, this form factor and size works well for my daily design work that takes up a majority of its use. So it’s a compromise vs just getting a 27inch 4K screen. Though, before working from home, I was fine for 3 years on a 5k iMac, mainly because I loved the clarity of text and graphics while I worked, which better represented something printed vs staring at obvious pixels all day.

Last edited:
I mean, if you want 4K, where the vertical res is 2160, then you are looking at a full resolution of 5120 x 2160 on an UltraWide, more pixels than a normal 4K screen, kind of hard to drive most games at that unless you run 16:9 now and then for normal 4K, or for full screen, run at a lower UltraWide res, causing interpolation. LG has a 34inch UltraWide with that, but only 60hz. You probably have to scale UI too.

I just think of the 38inch 16:10 display as a 4K screen (3840 across) that is about as large as it can be before the pixels are too large, and the top and bottom cut off so I don’t have to look up and down due to how close you are at a desk.

I’d totally buy a 5kx2k version of the 38 if offered. Or a 32in 16:9 4K, but those options are limited as well.

Side note, this form factor and size works well for my daily design work that takes up a majority of its use. So it’s a compromise vs just getting a 27inch 4K screen. Though, before working from home, I was fine for 3 years on a 5k iMac, mainly because I loved the clarity of text and graphics while I worked, which better represented something printed vs staring at obvious pixels all day.
I am more interested in one for gaming than work. It doesn't look like Alienware offers a 3840x2160 monitor.

I am more interested in one for gaming than work. It doesn't look like Alienware offers a 3840x2160 monitor.
Well these are ultrawides and there aren't many 5120x1260 ultrawides. LG does make one, but it is only 60Hz. As a practical matter you can only hit maybe 75Hz with 2160 ultrawide before you've expended DP 1.4's bandwidth, you'd need DSC to get more which is part of what keeps them from begin popular. If you want a non-UW display then you are probably looking at a 27" monitor. I don't know of any good larger ones with good gaming features. The LG 27GN950 is a good choice. 4k 144Hz and has DSC support so it can actually hit that without chroma subsampling. There is also, in theory, the Acer Predator X27 which is 4k 120Hz and has FALD for better HDR... however like so many of the AUO FALD panels it seems to be something that has real issues being actually found for sale.

Mine has very low bleed and glow too. Love this panel.

Could it get better? Yes.
Could every other piece of tech? Yes.
Am I happy now? Yes.
Is it worth MSRP? No.
That’s where I’m at with it. I’ve had 34” ultrawides for years and don’t think I could ever go back. The size is practically perfect. I could one day see myself going to a 40” 16:9 monitor but that’s about it for size before it becomes too much.

Last edited:
Alienware seems to have build quality beat, and I don't even have the AW3821DW yet, but it has to be better than the LG 38WN95c stand I got.

First, I thought the LG 38WN95c was going to be somewhat premium, compared to the gaming model, or on par with my older 38UC99. Overall, the matte plastic and texture feels cheap, the outer black bezel edges are only slightly rounded, but feels cheap due to tiny sharp inconsistent edges.

2nd, the stand's plastic pole has a horrible injection mold flaw, I think a flow line, right in the back center (photo below). Plus non-symmetrical plastic seams you can see and feel.

Alienware build quality?
After speaking about the LG above, anyone comment further on the Alienware? Photos look really good, and everyone says their build quality is also good, but photos can be deceiving. Does it feel like it uses quality materials, solid plastic, good fit and finish?

sRGB - Alienware HDR workaround for sRGB, anyone run into SDR software issues?
While trying this workaround on the LG (In anticipation of giving the Alienware a shot), I discovered a program I use daily has an issue with Windows HDR mode. Anyone use SnagIt? If I try to take a screenshot on the desktop and other SDR apps, everything becomes overexposed and blown out*. This requires turning HDR off every time I need to use it, which could be annoying. So if you are testing this workaround on the Alienware now during your return window, be sure to test all your important or critical programs, even a small one you might not be thinking about right now. Turning HDR off now and then is fine, but a screenshot program might be used all the time.

(* EDIT: My note about SnagIt having issues with HDR, that may of been an isolated case. In Chrome, I had just logged into iCloud and viewed a photo in the Photos section. Chrome windows would over expose in all tabs. But if I closed the iCloud tab, SnagIt would work fine in Chrome fine)

(photo of LG's stand quality)
38WN95c-Stand-Imperfection.jpg

Monitor-Bezels.jpg

Last edited:
lg build quality is absolute crap. The build quality, easy returns and warranty were the main reasons I went with Dell and why I held off of the lg 38's. I went through 4 or 5 34" lg's last year and swore them off.

If I'm buying anything for $1k + much less a monitor the thing better have at least a 3 year warranty, ideally a 5+ thats the biggest reason I go with Dell as well.

I can comment on the Alienware build quality...it is top notch and much better than any Acer, Asus, LG monitor I have had or seen. I think Alienware is the best in the business.

As a matter of fact, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade (medical devices) and at my previous job we would often buy used Alienware products on eBay to take apart and analyze design and manufacturing methodologies. Their products were very well respected by the engineers I was working with. Top notch stuff.

I have committed myself to ONLY buying Alienware monitors. Even if other companies beat them on specs and other gaming hype stuff, I always go for Alienware. Heck, they even took the initiative and have zero-bright pixel policy, which is way more than the other manufacturers provide. I bought an NEC 20WMGX2 way back in the day, and went thru 6 return hassles just due to the amount of dead/bright pixels each display had on it.

I can comment on the Alienware build quality...it is top notch and much better than any Acer, Asus, LG monitor I have had or seen. I think Alienware is the best in the business.
Personally I find the build quality to be on par with my NEC PA301W that I used to use (and loved). It was not as pretty, it was a very industrial chonker, but I would rate both the same build quality wise. I really like it.

Anyone annoyed how a large amount of monitor/tv product shots falsely advertise ultrathin bezels/frame, edge to edge screens? Specifically due to how they photoshop images onto the screens, straight to the edges? An average buyers will likely be impressed by the product shots without even questioning it. I myself, when I was younger, was disappointed by misleading images for a tv, especially due to them advertise thin bezels, pointing it out numerous times as a feature.

Thin-Bezel.jpg

Thin-Bezel-2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone annoyed how a large amount of monitor/tv product shots falsely advertise ultrathin bezels/frame, edge to edge screens? Specifically due to how they photoshop images onto the screens, straight to the edges? An average buyers will likely be impressed by the product shots without even questioning it. I myself, when I was younger, was disappointed by misleading images for a tv, especially due to them advertise thin bezels, pointing it out numerous times as a feature.

View attachment 315702
View attachment 315703
For TVs in particular, I wish they would come with a sturdy three-quarter or one inch bezel. It is nerve wracking placing them face down to attach a stand and then trying to pick them up with very little bezel for your fingers to grip.

For TVs in particular, I wish they would come with a sturdy three-quarter or one inch bezel. It is nerve wracking placing them face down to attach a stand and then trying to pick them up with very little bezel for your fingers to grip.
One LG LCD TV I bought came with plastic sleeves that slipped onto the sides, top to bottom, allowing you to easily/safely grip the front and back to transport. Wish that was more common or provide new clever solutions.

Return back my unit tomorrow. Maybe I will buy another one after refund is complete and try to win IPS lottery this time.

What is the best price that these have been available for? I am in the market for a new screen since mine is going out (preadator x34 IPS 1440p gsync). I paid 12 or 1300 for this one ~5 years ago and was hoping to find another screen in that same price range.

Alienware build quality?
After speaking about the LG above, anyone comment further on the Alienware? Photos look really good, and everyone says their build quality is also good, but photos can be deceiving. Does it feel like it uses quality materials, solid plastic, good fit and finish?

Having both the AW3821DW and 38GN950 I can say the AW housing/stand build quality and feel are better. LG's not bad, but not nearly as premium.

That said, I'm STILL waiting on a replacement screen for my AW3821DW.

What good is a 3yr warranty when they don't have replacements to send? It's been half a month and no replacement's been shipped out.

What is the best price that these have been available for? I am in the market for a new screen since mine is going out (preadator x34 IPS 1440p gsync). I paid 12 or 1300 for this one ~5 years ago and was hoping to find another screen in that same price range.
I recommend searching Slickdeals.net for past sales. The monitor hasn't been around long though.
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=aw3821dw&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

On top of the sales, many combined a 10% Dell coupon from signing up to a Dell newsletter, plus various cashback services or credit cards (which constantly change). Some people got really good deals.

Right now, the current price isn't the best, but if combined with the 10% sign-up coupon (assuming you it's still a thing), still a decent sale.

Having both the AW3821DW and 38GN950 I can say the AW housing/stand build quality and feel are better. LG's not bad, but not nearly as premium.

That said, I'm STILL waiting on a replacement screen for my AW3821DW.

What good is a 3yr warranty when they don't have replacements to send? It's been half a month and no replacement's been shipped out.

I hope it's just launch demand issues and availability will improve over time, or they are taking time for revisions.

I hope it's just launch demand issues and availability will improve over time, or they are taking time for revisions.
My bet is launch demand. Every new tech toy is getting bought up with a quickness these days. GPUs aren't the only thing. COVID has created a situation where not only are there constraints/pressures on supply but there is just overwhelming demand. People want new tech toys and they want them bad. It is just making everything difficult these days.

$1399 with discounts coupons etc, if you can find someone who can get you the Dell EPP you can get it around $1100.

What is a Dell EPP and where do I find me one of those?! :)
Employee Pricing Program, so either a friend that works there, or if you have an IT department you might see if they can get discount pricing through a Dell rep (notating its for a coworker personal purchase).

Employee Pricing Program, so either a friend that works there, or if you have an IT department you might see if they can get discount pricing through a Dell rep (notating its for a coworker personal purchase).
Ahh okay.. yeah I am self employed and work alone.. don't think I would qualify unfortunately.

Just received my unit. All seems fine until now except that the screen flickers a bit when moving the mouse cursor on the desktop with HDR activated in Windows 10. Does anyone experience this?
I experience the same problem. Did you find a solution to it?

How's everyone's orders going? My delayed order from Dec 10th is set to ship Jan 8th, this Friday. I'll post if that happens. Anyone with an earlier date actually ship after the recent delays?

Last edited:
How's everyone's orders going? My delayed order from Dec 10th is set to ship Jan 8th, this Friday. I'll post if that happens. Anyone with an earlier date actually ship after the recent delays?
Got an email this morning saying my replacement screen is pushed out to 1/11. I'm not too sure I trust that given the date has slipped once already.

Back