AW3821DW (Nov 2020) with GSync Ultimate

killabunny

n00b
Hello from Finland! I've always owned quality IPS panels because of coding and graphics work. so I was curious if this AW3821DW monitor would be enough for my work.
Because of this amazingly high quality forum thread, I already knew, that it would be somewhat of a compromise to buy it, but I did buy it..

Here are my thoughts after 2 weeks of use:

1. Calibration/color/brightness settings out of the box are all HORRIBLE. You can literally burn your eyes with the default settings and lose your sight temporarily.

2. Learning curve to get settings right is steep, I literally used DAYS trying to figure out how to get this monitor to display even something close to sRGB or CMYK with natural brightness. I've never used this much time for color correction on ANY monitor, usually it takes few minutes to get the brightness and colors right.

3. HDR is unusable. Your eyes will be burning into your sockets on longer use and there are not enough settings currently available to make it better.

4. Some days, when the monitor is first time turned on, it can flicker few times during first seconds of use. It feels like it needs to warm up or something before it's fully operational. Can grow into a problem in longer term?

5. Ambient light sensor seems to somewhat work now - after I did the reset thing found on Reddit, but it's still not perfect and it would be great to have some adjustment setting on it.

After all of that being said, I gotta say.. I do LOVE❤️ this monitor! :D It's crisp enough and so amazingly wide, 120-144Hz is a bliss and now when I've gotten the color/brightness settings to somewhat close to the real world - I have no regrets!

Comp: Omen 30L i7-10700K with Nvidia RTX 3080

Thanks for everyone who has contributed into this thread! Great stuff!
What do you think about the color accuracy with HDR ON in Windows?

cezarL

n00b
Mine needed considerable adjustments to RGB controls, but once set the delta-e measured by DisplayCal with an i1D3 meter was 0.1-0.2 for the whitepoint.

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey fellows,

The ambient sensor DOES NOT work with HDR ON in Windows. Correct?
No it doesn't. HDR is mastered to absolute brightness levels meaning that the user isn't supposed to have control over the brightness. It's kinda annoying, but that is the standard.

thelead

2[H]4U
Mine needed considerable adjustments to RGB controls, but once set the delta-e measured by DisplayCal with an i1D3 meter was 0.1-0.2 for the whitepoint.
I know that each panel is different but just for a ballpark, what are your RGB settings?

FaRKle0079

2[H]4U
So apparently these monitors have an issue with HDMI input that causes the flickering issue I had on my first panel. Well, the 2nd panel does it too!.

If you're on HDMI input and 60Hz or less the screen will start to flicker and burn in the image of whatever you have on the screen. This image stays even after hard power off (disconnect power cable), and will show up in the diagnostic mode. If you leave the unit unplugged for days, then it'll finally go away. Using DisplayPort I haven't been able to reproduce this issue, but HDMI it occurs once the monitor has been on for a bit (like 30min). I saw on reddit a good amount of other people have had the same issue as me.

cezarL

n00b
I know that each panel is different but just for a ballpark, what are your RGB settings?
R-100, G-94, B-85
Mine's from the first batch sold in Eastern Europe.

So apparently these monitors have an issue with HDMI input that causes the flickering issue I had on my first panel. Well, the 2nd panel does it too!.

If you're on HDMI input and 60Hz or less the screen will start to flicker and burn in the image of whatever you have on the screen. This image stays even after hard power off (disconnect power cable), and will show up in the diagnostic mode. If you leave the unit unplugged for days, then it'll finally go away. Using DisplayPort I haven't been able to reproduce this issue, but HDMI it occurs once the monitor has been on for a bit (like 30min). I saw on reddit a good amount of other people have had the same issue as me.
Hmmm interesting.
I'm using DisplayPort with the desktop PC, but expecting a docking station for the work laptop to be delivered in a couple of days, will be connecting that through an HDMI input, hope it will run at 85Hz... (a direct HDMI connection from the laptop only gives me 30Hz :) )

nighthink

n00b
Ca anybody please confirm how does this monitor behave with macbook pro connecting via HDMI? Really considering this one but in my setup I would use DP for gaming PC and the plan was to use HDMI for connecting macbook pro. But if I can achieve only 60Hz at most via HDMI that is disappointing.. I saw somewhere the limitation over HDMI shall be 120Hz for this monitor.

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Ca anybody please confirm how does this monitor behave with macbook pro connecting via HDMI? Really considering this one but in my setup I would use DP for gaming PC and the plan was to use HDMI for connecting macbook pro. But if I can achieve only 60Hz at most via HDMI that is disappointing.. I saw somewhere the limitation over HDMI shall be 120Hz for this monitor.
It will entirely depend on the resolution you are trying to drive. You will be limited by the HDMI 2.0 spec. At native resolution you will only have 60hz, yes. If you reduce the resolution to 3440x1440 you can get up to 110hz.

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
It will entirely depend on the resolution you are trying to drive. You will be limited by the HDMI 2.0 spec. At native resolution you will only have 60hz, yes. If you reduce the resolution to 3440x1440 you can get up to 110hz.
Can anyone confirm this monitor does not support 4k downsample? IE I plug in a PS5, it will not accept a 4k signal from the PS5 and internally sample it to a resolution that works? The LG does this, so that's a point against this for me if so.

terve

n00b
The accuracy of HDR doesn't matter if it's unusable. Atleast my eyes get burned and tired instantly (even with contrast below 60), so not sure why anyone would want to use it with this monitor.. you should wear sunglasses if you do?

terve

n00b
4. Some days, when the monitor is first time turned on, it can flicker few times during first seconds of use. It feels like it needs to warm up or something before it's fully operational. Can grow into a problem in longer term?
Edit: Not fixed by changing the DP cable, looking for solution with Dell. -- I changed the DisplayPort cable and the flicker is gone! \o/

Last edited:

thelead

2[H]4U
The accuracy of HDR doesn't matter if it's unusable. Atleast my eyes get burned and tired instantly (even with contrast below 60), so not sure why anyone would want to use it with this monitor.. you should wear sunglasses if you do?
You can set the HDR/SDR brightness balance slider to 0 in windows HD color settings if you're sensitive to bright screens.

terve

n00b
You can set the HDR/SDR brightness balance slider to 0 in windows HD color settings if you're sensitive to bright screens.
Yes, but then the greys get dimmed and you lose ambient sensor. Atleast for me, the SDR is the only way I get natural brightness with this monitor, that work in any room lighting without any adjustments needed during the day. Might be different for you, or for your monitor, but atleast my retinas are burning hot with HDR on and none of the adjustments make it better or more suitable for longer use. If they develop adjustable brightness curve setting for it, I will definetly give it another chance.

OLED panels don't seem to suffer from the same problem and they can be fitted with ambient sensor to produce natural colors according to room lighting. I guess we just need to wait for OLED's to enter the FPS market (AW5520QF anyone?😀), hopefully with a bit more affordable pricing.

Last edited:

terve

n00b
Here's my AW3821DW random flicker problem, which I'm currently trying to figure out with Dell support:
AW3821DW-flicker-problem.gif

Edit: Dell sends me a new monitor.

Last edited:

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's my AW3821DW random flicker problem, which I'm currently trying to figure out with Dell support:
In any cases of trouble like that, always make sure to try a different Displayport cable. The ones Dell includes are not great and issues are easier to find since this display literally pushes it to the limit of the technology. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it can be. I had a few issues with mine with a longer cable that I used, worked fine for my old 2560x1440 144Hz monitor, so I replaced it with a fiber optic cable and the issues went away. For normal length cables just get a good quality one and see if it helps. If it doesn't then ya time to get a repalcement.