AVP Full game and Single Player Impressions

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Please post your impressions of the Full game, as its out today :).

I really want to play this, but keep hearing mediocre reviews about the demo. Considering it sounds like an old beta version of the game, I'm curious how the 'release' version is.

I'm 90% interested in single player, as thats what I enjoyed most about AVP2. I might multiplay a bit but probably not much.

So how are the single player campaigns?

Thanks!

I preordered the Hunter Edition at Gamestop and it doesn't come in till tomorrow yet the game was released today. Bastards.

well so far my biggest impression is that the game is 15.8gigs.. holy crap! and thats not even installed..

Fucking awesome game.

My son bought it via Steam, he has a GTX 285 so I can't comment about any DX11 stuff.

So far what I've seen is really a blast. We are doing the Marine campaign and the setting and atmosphere are good......the Aliens are lightening fast and don't go down easy.

Graphically, the game looks good. The thing is set up to give the Aliens a great advantage, lighting and shadows are used very well.

The computer is a slightly OC Q6600, 4 GB of 1066 RAM and a single GTX 285 slightly OC'd.
Everything is on high except no ambient occlusion, and the game runs like silk. 1920X1200 resolution.

Definately worth buying.:D

My copy arrives tomorrow.....can't wait to see what DX 11 brings to the game.......and a little EyeFinity action!!:eek:

Fucking awesome game.

My son bought it via Steam, he has a GTX 285 so I can't comment about any DX11 stuff.

So far what I've seen is really a blast. We are doing the Marine campaign and the setting and atmosphere are good......the Aliens are lightening fast and don't go down easy.

Graphically, the game looks good. The thing is set up to give the Aliens a great advantage, lighting and shadows are used very well.

The computer is a slightly OC Q6600, 4 GB of 1066 RAM and a single GTX 285 slightly OC'd.
Everything is on high except no ambient occlusion, and the game runs like silk.

Definately worth buying.:D

My copy arrives tomorrow.....can't wait to see what DX 11 brings to the game.......and a little EyeFinity action!!:eek:

^^ This is a pretty scarce and rare opinion based on what I'm gathering.

I want to see some PC reviews of the game...not the console reviews...the PC version is supposedly superior with its DX11 features

not to many reviews.The one I looked was for a PS3,bah!Where are some for a pc?:(

I want to see some PC reviews of the game...not the console reviews...the PC version is supposedly superior with its DX11 features

The best DX11 support in the world can't save awful gameplay.

The best DX11 support in the world can't save awful gameplay.

There are conflicting reports on how good or bad the game is. Have you played through the full version in it's entirety?

No one is interested in your opinion if you haven't.

Some DX11 screens would be nice if anyone of you have the game. I can't get it until March sometime.

downloading game now, i dunno if i'll post SS but i have a 5850 and loved the demo.

ya the games is pretty well coded i ran the demo maxed on my rig at 1080p with no slowdowns gonna have to wait to get it though bioshock 2 and COP have drained my cash reserves

You're kidding yourself since this thing is porting from the consoles.

How much "better" does it make the game if DX11 gives you a little extra eye candy? So what?

The PC version will simply be a more polished turd. Sadly, this is what it is by just about all credible accounts.

I'm bitterly disappointed.

How much "better" does it make the game if DX11 gives you a little extra eye candy? So what?

The PC version will simply be a more polished turd. Sadly, this is what it is by just about all credible accounts.

I agree that the game is a disappointment...that's why I wanted to know how much of a difference the added DX11 features might make...in this game setting the added lighting and tessellation effects could make a bit of a difference

that being said there's no way I'm buying the game for the Day 1 price of $49.99...I'll wait a few weeks and read some PC reviews and hope the price drops to around $30...the dedicated servers will not be ready for another 2-3 weeks as well according to Rebellion

I actually enjoyed the demo...it wasn't the greatest game out but it was fun and that's all that really matters in the long run

needs more dedi.... so far the multi modes are WAYYY better than the just flat out deathmatch although i have a feeling they wont really kick into to panic mode for marines till the DS's are released. the matchmaking is still a PITA.

as for single player i can say the Predator campaign is pretty intriguing, you can either run and "gun" or you can use guerilla tactics which makes a difference imo. cant really say anything about the other campaigns yet though :(

I played a little bit of the Predator campaign today, it was fun and I think the game looks pretty good. With the system in my sig I had to turn the graphics down a bit to get acceptable performance.

Way too early for me to make a decision on the game though, but I'm looking forward to playing some more of the campaign and once I familiarize myself with the controls, trying out some multiplayer.

Personally I'm tired of hearing about how bad the game is from people who don't own it.

Played the Predator campaign for a little bit and enjoyed it. There are things I like and dislike, like any game but overall so far I am liking it from what I have played. I have played pretty much entirely stealthy as the Predator getting trophy kills on nearly every marine but 1 or 2 so far.

Here are a few screenshots from the parts I remembered to, DX9

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7149/avp3.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4093/avp4.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1578/avp1.jpg
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1597/avp2.jpg

Uhhhh, no. Developed on PC first, then ported to consoles. Nice try?

still waiting:D Not going to buy until a decent review.

Installing now =]

I don't hold much hope for it being amazing since I didn't like the demo at all BUT the demo was using 10month old code and ported directly from the Xbox360 so who knows.....

I'll post a gameplay video on Youtube or something too.

So far so good...graphics are better than the demo but so far I'm playing Marine mission.

I did glance at my second screen and open mouth at the RAM usage though:

resourceusage.jpg

2GB!

I wonder how much RAM it would use if it were a 64bit executable!

I played a little about 20 minutes of all three campaigns and i got to say that i am having a blast. I was kinda scared that it wasn't going to live up to the experience that i had with avp2 which scared the shitniz outta me, but i can gladly say that wasn't the case. The marine campaign is just as scary as i initially thought that it would be with the darkness, atmosphere and the pinging thingy. The graphics are also alot better than i was expecting with the comments and stuff that i had heard about it. Playing as the alien and stabbing marines in the eyes and head was a blast. I also tried alittle infestation online and that was pretty cool as well, it was a little laggy. Initial impressions so far though are good, i am glad that i did not allow myself to be swayed by other peoples fears. One thing i would say though is that i could totally understand why anyone that was trying to use a controller as opposed to a keyboard and mouse would totally hate this game, this type of game plays best with a M/K.:D:D:D:cool::D

I really liked the Predator training but now I can't get the first level to load. The game locks up every time during the loading screen. :(

ively delete your old save and restart the pred campaign and that should work as well. You can skip the tutorial by just picking a mission to start. Seems like a glitch hopefully they rlease a patch to fix that soon. It might also be vid card driver doing that as well. I am using a 4890 with the latest official drivers...

holy shit that looks bad ass..

im installing the game right now.. makes me wish i had a 5870 right now :(

I disagree...I don't think they look that different from the DX9 demo...lighting looks a bit better in certain shots but mostly the same textures

i never got to play the demo because my steam client refused to download it..

So far so good...graphics are better than the demo but so far I'm playing Marine mission.

I did glance at my second screen and open mouth at the RAM usage though:

2GB!

I wonder how much RAM it would use if it were a 64bit executable!

more ram usage is actually a good thing.. means less disc reading which means better load times/performance..

damn the games fun so far.. i just cant seem to find an overclock on my GTX 260 that works with this game.. keeps causing the drivers to crash.. wouldnt be so bad if nvidia's drivers werent such pieces of shit and locked the card in 2D mode after the drivers are restored.. pain in the ass going from 60fps in the game to 10fps then trying to save the game and exit out..

I can't believe that the dedicated servers are still not up and running...

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/5...dicated-Server-Available-In-The-Next-Few-Days

at least they are doing it.. honestly all i care is that they are putting an effort out to make sure there is dedicated server support for this game while still giving the option to play multiplayer, even if it is pathetic ass matchmaking..

more ram usage is actually a good thing.. means less disc reading which means better load times/performance..

Yeah I know this, my concern was that the game doesn't look or perform as good as the RAM usage would have you think. Crysis for example uses less than 1GB of RAM in DX10 yet looks much better than AvP texture quality wise and world detail wise especially with all the destructible props.

Back