AVP demo is live!

what about mouse acceleration and mouselag ? any fix for 30hz yet ? i didn't play 280 euros for a 120hz monitor that will run at 1/4 of its refresh rate FFS

Well I let it download when I went to bed. It's been searching for a game the last 5 mins so far.

I'm not so sure. I've often found that while the actual games are a little more polished, the gameplay we see in a demo is usually pretty close to what we'll see in the final product. Though a multi-player demo won't tell you much about the single player game which is where I expected this game to shine anyway. We'll see though. I'll have the demo downloaded shortly.

Unfortunately, I know you're right and I was kind of trying to throw out a bone here.

Single player is what I care about the most with this. Maybe if we're lucky this will be a situation like Wolfenstein where the SP was way ahead of the MP.

Look forward to your thoughts once you've messed around with this. :)

My son D/L this last night and said it was very cool to play.

He played for over two hours and had no technical issues.

He had no problems with finding a game, I did read where steam was going down for a couple hours today for maintainence, maybe thats why there is a hard time finding a game today.

Hurry up and finish the download Dan :p. I would like at least one other person to be in queue with me. Does it add people to your group right away that get found in the matchmaking, anyone know?

Well the piece of crap never found a game. Great just what we needed, another console port with a shitty matchmaking service. :rolleyes: The menus worked well enough, so I don't get what all the fuss is about there. They weren't incredibly detailed options wise and didn't offer a lot of choices in terms of game customization, but hopefully that will change in the final product. Right now I just want to see what the game play and visuals are like. Since the matchmaking service is obviously broken, I can't even do that.

My nickname on Steam is "Dead_Meat357" if anyone wants to add me. Maybe we can try and get a game going.

...Right now I just want to see what the game play and visuals are like. Since the matchmaking service is obviously broken, I can't even do that.

Exactly my thoughts. I've been in the matchmaking since 10:55

Exactly my thoughts. I've been in the matchmaking since 10:55

I've only had that running for about 5 minutes or so. Still nothing. When I try to invite friends, nothing happens. So it looks like that is broken too. So far this is shaping up to be worse than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. :eek:

I've only had that running for about 5 minutes or so. Still nothing. When I try to invite friends, nothing happens. So it looks like that is broken too. So far this is shaping up to be worse than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. :eek:

That's saying something but it's true.

I wish they'd put out an SP demo. That basically would tell me if I'm buying this any time soon or waiting for the big Steam sale some day or the GG 48 hour madness $20 special.

That's saying something but it's true.

I wish they'd put out an SP demo. That basically would tell me if I'm buying this any time soon or waiting for the big Steam sale some day or the GG 48 hour madness $20 special.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually fun. So I'm not trying to totally trash it but the matchmaking service, game lobby, and low player limits for most game modes are utter crap. So when I see something that remotely resembles those "features" it doesn't bode well for the game.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually fun. So I'm not trying to totally trash it but the matchmaking service, game lobby, and low player limits for most game modes are utter crap. So when I see something that remotely resembles those "features" it doesn't bode well for the game.

Agreed.

Probably will get better with dedicated servers, and hopefully a server browser

Played a couple of rounds, really liked it... only played marine and alien, but both were well balanced and defined... playing marine was actually scary :D

Probably will get better with dedicated servers, and hopefully a server browser

Played a couple of rounds, really liked it... only played marine and alien, but both were well balanced and defined... playing marine was actually scary :D

What makes you think this game will get dedicated servers? I don't think that the developer would go to the trouble to design a matchmaking system and a dedicated server system for a single game. If we are seeing a matchmaking service in the MP for the demo, we will be seeing the same thing in the retail version of the game. Demos are FAR more representational of the final product than people seem to think. The core game play we see in a demo is always what we see in the actual game. The only way this changes is when the original game gets scrapped and the developer starts over. Not that this doesn't get done from time to time, but it is a rare occurence. I've seen it only a couple of times in the last 15 years. As for the rest, it sounds good but I'd like to see for myself.

Last edited:
something's not right with the matchmaking service...I can never seem to connect to a game...I get to the 'Searching for Games' screen and it never seems to find an open game...

something's not right with the matchmaking service...I can never seem to connect to a game...I get to the 'Searching for Games' screen and it never seems to find an open game...

Yep same here. "searching for games". We will see if it improves later in the afternoon as more and more people get the demo. I was able to get into a game last night.

Well the piece of crap never found a game. Great just what we needed, another console port with a shitty matchmaking service. :rolleyes: The menus worked well enough, so I don't get what all the fuss is about there. They weren't incredibly detailed options wise and didn't offer a lot of choices in terms of game customization, but hopefully that will change in the final product. Right now I just want to see what the game play and visuals are like. Since the matchmaking service is obviously broken, I can't even do that.

My nickname on Steam is "Dead_Meat357" if anyone wants to add me. Maybe we can try and get a game going.

People can say what they want about MW2's matchmaking system, but at least it was FUNCTIONAL. I have far, FAR more trouble with matchmaking in L4D and L4D2 and now apparently this AvP garbage as well.

Well I just got into a game. Didn't notice until I alt-tabbed back in while I was waiting and died a few times. Was an alien and I had no clue wtf I was doing. I got a couple kills on luck, gonna try it some more.

People can say what they want about MW2's matchmaking system, but at least it was FUNCTIONAL. I have far, FAR more trouble with matchmaking in L4D and L4D2 and now apparently this AvP garbage as well.

This is true. I've tried off and on all day and have yet to get a match in AVP going.

I'm loading into a match right now. 2nd time in the last 30 mins. Nature called me away for a shortbreak, took about 5 mins to get into this one.

I'll be optimistic about the final game considering matchmaking will be gone, supposedly, and the game will have a regular lobby I believe.

This game is giving me a terrible case of consolitis though, and it's not because of the dx9 graphics. Mouse lag is apparent in the main menu and doesn't feel intuitive at all, but more like a joystick. Turning off vsync alleviates this a tad but it's still noticeable.

The auto-aim is annoying when you melee another player and I have to play the game with max sensitivity to even have a good sense of looking around. I only listed a couple reasons while I feel like its a piece of shit console port, but after playing so many games which play similarly, deep down you just know it's a console port and pc development was more of a secondary thought.

I'll have to wait and see the dx11 though, and hopefully the game feels more polished when it comes out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Played as predator just now, I really have no clue how to play this really. I just had my friend download this, him and I are grouped up sitting in queue now, I left my match so we could be together. I understand you have to find the extra weapons to use them, but I've been nubbing it up.

I finally got to play some matches now. The game feels woefully unbalanced toward the alien. The Predator's melee attacks aren't worth a shit and he gets over powered everytime when fighting the alien. Using the marine I must have hit the alien 6 times with the shotgun and it didn't die. It still got to me and killed me.

I'll be optimistic about the final game considering matchmaking will be gone, supposedly, and the game will have a regular lobby I believe.

What makes you think the matchmaking will be gone? I doubt it will be.

This game is giving me a terrible case of consolitis though, and it's not because of the dx9 graphics. Mouse lag is apparent in the main menu and doesn't feel intuitive at all, but more like a joystick. Turning off vsync alleviates this a tad but it's still noticeable.

I couldn't agree more. In addition the textures, lighting and fog seem sub-par for even DX9 graphics. I'm just not impressed. Hopefully they just dialed things back for the MP game and the SP experience will have better visuals. We saw this with Crysis and a few other games so hopefully the game is capable of providing a better visual experience than what we've seen thus far. I have doubts given that the game will probably be limited to the lowest common denominator; the consoles.

The auto-aim is annoying when you melee another player and I have to play the game with max sensitivity to even have a good sense of looking around. I only listed a couple reasons while I feel like its a piece of shit console port, but after playing so many games which play similarly, deep down you just know it's a console port and pc development was more of a secondary thought.

I agree.

I'll have to wait and see the dx11 though, and hopefully the game feels more polished when it comes out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Hopefully but I have my doubts.

I had this game pre ordered at gs but I'm probably going to cancel it since I haven't been able to get into a game since installing it this morning. Adding to that I've read nothing but shitty reviews from people in forums across the net ranging from sub par graphics and gameplay to the consolitis and wreaking of shitty lame console kiddie port. The lame porting to our platform pisses me off the most and if this demo isn't indicitive of the final product then shame on the developer for slapping together a shitty build and passing it off to us as a demo intended to sell us on the game. This game went from a must buy to a maybe bargin bin console ported piece of shit. Sad really. Oh and didn't amd give them a bunch of money to tout this as another dx 11 title? Fucking sad, really.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but besides the awful matchmaking (which is supposed to be gone in the final, or at least not the primary MP system) I actually really enjoy this game so far. The graphics seem more than fine to me, and the gameplay seems balanced enough, other than when the match devolves into a "E"-mashing grab-fest. I have faith that they will sort some of these issues out in the final, and being a huge fan of the first two games, I think I will probably end up getting this when it comes out.

After just getting done playing some games, I was Nekronic in-game, it's alright so far. I definitely don't like marines so far, predator being my favorite and then aliens. The preds melee attacks don't seem too bad for me, it's how I've gotten most of my kills. But everthing does seem clunky, ESPECIALLY grabbing people. I find it really annoying how grabs work right now, you get what seems like half a second of a chance to notice you are in the right range to grab for a kill.

Liked the game so far, played around matches... mostly alien and marine

Marine works really well if you dont go guns blazing, i ended on top with marine easy using the radar and being cautious

Played a round as Alien. Its not bad, a bit disorientating but I can see how the fun is in abundance with this game.

The controls are almost identical to AvP 2.. at least for aliens...

I've only been able to get one game so far... and it lagged HORRIBLY!!!!

also, kind of expected the game to be a little prettier... it's not, yay! for the 360 being common denominator dragging us all down.

here's hoping the single player experience is better than the crap I just played.

I loaded it up yesterday night. The people playing as humans (including myself) didn't realize it was deathmatch and we all teamed up (5 of us) on the ledge to shoot invading aliens and predators. lol

I guess commonality made us think we were on the same side. If one of realized that it was indeed deathmatch, it would have been 4 easy kills. lol!

I jumped into a game with some friends so I didn't have to wait. Another advantage of playing with people you know, in this case anyway, is that we agreed to do a ghetto TDM. Same species don't kill each other.

3 x marines, 3 x aliens, 2 x predators

The alien seems pretty powerful. I think it's because it can see targets through walls and plan a sneaky approach for a grab -> omgfacebite combo. The predator is great once you figure out you need to be holding down shift to find weapons. I admit, I went several rounds using nothing but claws.

Melee in general feels overpowered do to the focus system making it easier to target the enemy. Then again, when leaping and sprinting around the map you need all the help you can get to stay on target.

The marines weapons are solidly powerful. Pulse rifle + grenades is effective enough and the smart gun is great too. The flamethrower seems underpowered. You need to be too close for comfort and the damage isn't frontloaded enough to kill before you lose your head. The shotgun is a beast up close if you get a good hit in.

It ran decently well on my system, so that was pleasing. I was expecting more of a slide-show. The motion blur caused some stuttering and I noticed stuttering in the menu system as well but other than that it was certainly playable on my aging videocard.

Overall I think the game shows alot of promise. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but I didn't notice anything gamebreaking. The people nitpicking about the menus and controls I think are going a bit too far. Maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses because I'm a huge fan of the series, but I plan on picking it up just as soon as I upgrade my videocard.

Taking screenshots using the print screen didn't work. However fraps worked for me, so here we go. I'll post 3 regular size and give links to the rest.

All in game settings are maxed at 1600x1200 with shadows at normal and 2x AA thru CCC, I'll probably change shadows to the highest but for now it's fine.

1st.jpg

Got ya!

2nd.jpg

You don't need that...

3rd.jpg

Told ya...

Xeno vision
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-12-51-77.jpg

Human grab kill as a predator
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-14-54-10.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-14-55-94.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-14-57-33.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-14-58-50.jpg

Alien grab kill as a predator.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-20-10-51.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-20-11-50.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-20-11-79.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-20-12-34.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd356/Samson4eit/AvP2010-02-0418-20-12-65.jpg

Back