Avowed is Obsidian's new Skyrim-like RPG, check out the first trailer

I think if it's done well it can improve the game and I'm not against all hybrids. But to me an FPS is about skill playing the game and that might include proper tool selection which could certainly be improved with a good inventory system but once you add a skill tree it shifts some of the focus from player skill and stops being a true FPS IMO. Similarly I think if you downplay skill progression too much and make it solely about player skill then a game stops being a true RPG.
I think still to this date DeusEx did it best. Skills affected the handling of weapons, but you could compensate for that through actual player skill. For example lower heavy weapon skill meant you reloaded much slower, and walked much slower with them, but the weapon still did about the same damage when you hit an enemy with it. That's what I Absolutely loath about RPGs, when the same weapon does different amounts of damage based on the skill points assigned to that weapon. Skill points should only affect weapon handling and precision, not the actual damage output of the same weapon. Maybe for melee weapons it can affect damage, but not for firearms and explosives.

Assigning the skills and then making the best use of them is still player skill just a slightly different skill.

I think still to this date DeusEx did it best. Skills affected the handling of weapons, but you could compensate for that through actual player skill. For example lower heavy weapon skill meant you reloaded much slower, and walked much slower with them, but the weapon still did about the same damage when you hit an enemy with it. That's what I Absolutely loath about RPGs, when the same weapon does different amounts of damage based on the skill points assigned to that weapon. Skill points should only affect weapon handling and precision, not the actual damage output of the same weapon. Maybe for melee weapons it can affect damage, but not for firearms and explosives.

Assigning the skills and then making the best use of them is still player skill just a slightly different skill.
I agree that Deus Ex is one of the best examples of blending those genres but while I really like the games I don't want too many games to take that same approach.

I don't mind damage being tied to skill level or investment in an rpg because accuracy also determines where you hit someone but I prefer when damage increases come primarily from gear upgrades/acquisitions, this is also easier to tie to enemy progression which has it's own pacing advantages as well.

I don't mind damage being tied to skill level or investment in an rpg because accuracy also determines where you hit someone
Where you hit should be purely player skill, not determined by a dice roll of the game.
but I prefer when damage increases come primarily from gear upgrades/acquisitions, this is also easier to tie to enemy progression which has it's own pacing advantages as well.
The problem with this enemy progression vs gear progression, is that it is completely meaningless. You have level 1 weapons you fight level 1 enemies the exact same way as you fight level 10 enemies with level 10 weapons, it's a pointless distraction that adds nothing to the game apart from artificial boundaries to exploration in open world games. This is the biggest issue with AC Games, the constant hassle of replacing weapons and gear every turn with higher level ones. F that. The whole idea that you can do 10.000x more damage by the end of the game is utterly ridiculous.

Where you hit should be purely player skill, not determined by a dice roll of the game.
In an rpg I completely disagree, character progression is an integral part of rpgs and character skill should be more important than player skill.

The game is probably a few years out. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even remotely close to being in a showable state yet.

My understanding is this game is years away. What we're seeing in the trailer is pre-rendered CGI and the few, early assets, animations and environment they've created. The new Elder Scrolls may be released before this.

I'm totally fine with "Skyrim 2". Despite it's flaws, Skyrim is a great game and about the only game in my life I've played regularly for 7 years going.

In an rpg I completely disagree, character progression is an integral part of rpgs and character skill should be more important than player skill.
And we went full circle to my original statement: I don't want an RPG.

This game will come out before TES6 too. This game could have potential.

TES6 may never come out.

Anything Obsidian touches turns to gold. Can't wait!
Outer Worlds was ok, I don’t think it was particularly great. Hopefully with the bigger budget they can make some truly amazing though.

I liked Outer Worlds. Was a fun little romp. Didn't have a ton of depth, but it was what it was.
I hope this is an explore-em-up, because I love those, even though they are commonly deeply flawed mechanically.

I got no insight about anything from this trailer though. I have no idea what the game will feel like in any way. Might be cool, might be poo on a stick.

Look at all the not gameplay in that video. What's with Xbox and not having gameplay videos?

Skyrim is a boring, poorly written and designed, and clunky game that isn't even an RPG but is Action-Adventure. Maybe Avowed will be an actual RPG and a good game in a fantasy setting. Obsidian are certainly far better than Bethesda when it comes to stories and dialog and choices.

This. I put about 500 hours into Oblivion. Skyrim, maybe 30. Skyrim was dumbed down for console peasants and was extremely repetitive. Looking at you, radiant quests. I have tried Skyrim 3 times, and every time, I quit, because I was like, wait shit, this is a radiant quest. Also, "Hey Master of the Fighter's Guild, could you go into the dungeon and do our homework for us?" Seriously, Skyrim was bad. Even spent over a week setting up mods, still bad, although less.

Here's hoping this game fucks Bethesda in the ass.

I put about 500 hours into Oblivion. Skyrim, maybe 30.

The original Skyrim was a buggy port. Skyrim SE is a good RPG that I have installed on most of my machines. In 30 hours you didn't even get into the game. The radiant quests are all optional and mostly to open up areas of the map for fast-travel when doing plot and sub-plot quests.

There's a reason people want Avowed to be the next Skyrim: it's a great game that people play over and over. It's still incredibly popular to this day, which is a testament to how good single-player games can be.

The original Skyrim was a buggy port. Skyrim SE is a good RPG that I have installed on most of my machines. In 30 hours you didn't even get into the game. The radiant quests are all optional and mostly to open up areas of the map for fast-travel when doing plot and sub-plot quests.

There's a reason people want Avowed to be the next Skyrim: it's a great game that people play over and over. It's still incredibly popular to this day, which is a testament to how good single-player games can be.
No he is right. Skyrim is terrible.

""Avowed is an expand first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora," head of Xbox Game Studios Matt Booty said. "When Obsidian Entertainment joined Xbox Game Studios, they told us that this epic game is the one they want to make."

Details at this point are scarce, but the trailer itself was grim and dark and ends on a shot that heavily evokes the Balrog fight from Fellowship of the Ring. Eora is the same world that the Pillars of Eternity games are set in, but in the move from isometric to first-person, it's going to look pretty different. After years of making Fallout-style RPGs, I'm excited to see Obsidian's take on a more fantastical setting."

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-is-obsidians-new-skyrim-like-rpg-check-out-the-first-trailer/

Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'​

“"Every game development process for every title is this chain of ideation, iteration and polish," says Avowed director Carrie Patel, reflecting on how the scope of Avowed has changed over the years. "Sometimes you realize the way you're building, it is not quite living up to the experience you want to create. And so, in iteration and refinement, you say, 'Well, how do we create the experience that we want to deliver to players, and particularly as a studio? How do we deliver on what we're really good at specifically?'

"I think where Obsidian really shines as an RPG maker is with this really evocative nuanced world building, stories that are more focused on depth and breadth, and really thoughtful quest design that rewards experimentation and exploration from players—that gives them a sense of agency. And that gives them a meaningful set of options with how they interact with the world and characters."

The upshot, then, is that Avowed won't be as large, open and freeform as an Elder Scrolls game, but maybe that's for the best? Given the enduring popularity of the studio's RPGs over the years, staying true to that spirit feels like a sensible choice. "As we looked at the Avowed we're building, we wanted to make sure that we were really fulfilling those strengths and creating something that felt like a true Obsidian RPG," says Patel.”

Zarathustra[H]

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'​

“"Every game development process for every title is this chain of ideation, iteration and polish," says Avowed director Carrie Patel, reflecting on how the scope of Avowed has changed over the years. "Sometimes you realize the way you're building, it is not quite living up to the experience you want to create. And so, in iteration and refinement, you say, 'Well, how do we create the experience that we want to deliver to players, and particularly as a studio? How do we deliver on what we're really good at specifically?'

"I think where Obsidian really shines as an RPG maker is with this really evocative nuanced world building, stories that are more focused on depth and breadth, and really thoughtful quest design that rewards experimentation and exploration from players—that gives them a sense of agency. And that gives them a meaningful set of options with how they interact with the world and characters."

The upshot, then, is that Avowed won't be as large, open and freeform as an Elder Scrolls game, but maybe that's for the best? Given the enduring popularity of the studio's RPGs over the years, staying true to that spirit feels like a sensible choice. "As we looked at the Avowed we're building, we wanted to make sure that we were really fulfilling those strengths and creating something that felt like a true Obsidian RPG," says Patel.”

Zarathustra[H]

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

Avowed gets a new trailer and a release window​

/

The game is set to launch sometime in 2024 on Xbox and PC.​

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/11/23757133/avowed-xbox-games-showcase-trailer-release-window

Back