Avoid Running Exchange Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 for Now

Modus

Weaksauce
A recent cumulative update for Exchange 2016 was intended to add support for Windows Server 2016. But, after numerous reported issues, Microsoft has acknowledged a problem exists.

According to the release notes

If you attempt to run Microsoft Exchange 2016 CU3 on Windows Server 2016, you will experience errors in the IIS host process W3WP.exe. There is no workaround at this time. You should postpone deployment of Exchange 2016 CU3 on Windows Server 2016 until a supported fix is available.

Once again, Microsoft’s testing of its own patches seems to have taken a backseat to accelerated release deadlines.

Seems like there's always issues running latest version of Exchange or SQL on the newest OSes. Not worth it.

I actually spun up a VM with Server 2016 and made it a backup DC, promoted our 2012R2 to the main DC and retired our old 2008R2 physical server in the span of an hour. Made the forest and domain 2012R2 compliant. Thank the gods I moved everyone to Office 365 and don't have to deal with a physical Exchange box anymore.

Exchange, bleh.

Move email to the cloud where it belongs. Since doing just that I haven't had a single seconds downtime in about six years and I no longer have to worry about a damn thing.

Back