Avoid Corsair Hydro coolers for now - bad batches.

Is it safe to buy the H100 now? Or are there still bad batches floating around? I'm thinking of replacing my H50 and was considering snagging one off Newegg?

The H100 I just got works fine. The pump itself is effectively silent.

Thanks for posting this. Was very close to buying an h100. Will look for used ones instead.

Newegg stepped up and is replacing my defective H80, including return shipping. Time to give it a second shot!

I saw it was posted earlier in the thread that hooking up the h100 to a fan controller instead of directly to the psu fixed the pump noise. I have been running my h100 through a fan controller for a couple weeks now and the pump is dead silent now.

I saw it was posted earlier in the thread that hooking up the h100 to a fan controller instead of directly to the psu fixed the pump noise. I have been running my h100 through a fan controller for a couple weeks now and the pump is dead silent now.

Is that when you run the controller/pump at a lower speed than max? What speed is your controller set at?

I'm actually on my second H100. The first one I bought back in early November died (fan controller) after 2 days or so. It sucks to see that almost three months later they still have issues. :(

I saw this awhile back and that was the recommended fix for the pump noise and appeared to work. I don't remember the whole story but I think it was found that some motherboard headers weren't supplying enough power to everything. I think you're referring to the motherboard header instead of "directly to the psu". I could be wrong and have been before. :)

They need to go back to Asetek. I really dont like Coolit products or the corsair variants.

I saw this awhile back and that was the recommended fix for the pump noise and appeared to work. I don't remember the whole story but I think it was found that some motherboard headers weren't supplying enough power to everything. I think you're referring to the motherboard header instead of "directly to the psu". I could be wrong and have been before. :)

The pump has a molex connector for the power

The pump has a molex connector for the power

I know that. I own one...and had to redo that terrible molex connector. There is 3 pin connector on the pump and that gets plugged into the motherboard header. That is the piece they are stating to connect it to a different fan controller to eliminate the pump noise. I did not have to do this to mine but have seen it posted over and over at various forums, including Corsairs and appears to fix it. Why? I don't know as I didn't have to do this. Most talk was about not enough power from the motherboard header. It's just a suggestion. Ignore it or look into it. Up to you.

Pump noise, fan controllers, etc are mentioned in this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97733

I know that. I own one...and had to redo that terrible molex connector. There is 3 pin connector on the pump and that gets plugged into the motherboard header. That is the piece they are stating to connect it to a different fan controller to eliminate the pump noise. I did not have to do this to mine but have seen it posted over and over at various forums, including Corsairs and appears to fix it. Why? I don't know as I didn't have to do this. Most talk was about not enough power from the motherboard header. It's just a suggestion. Ignore it or look into it. Up to you.

Pump noise, fan controllers, etc are mentioned in this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97733

Thats the thread where I orginally read about the fan controller fix. When I first hooked up a fan controller thats the first thing I switched was the 3 pin, but that was not the issue. It was the power from the molex that was the issue. So I can see where you're coming from as the 3pin was my first thought as well.

Yeah I shouldn't have hooked it up, I accept that, but it would have been nice if it hadn't arrived defective.

Just an update.... got my replacement H80 today. Barely fit inside my HTPC, but anyway, its working great.... was able to bump up my overclock from 3.7 to 4.0 ghz and also dropped the temperatures 20 C. I could probably try for more sometime.

Just an update.... got my replacement H80 today. Barely fit inside my HTPC, but anyway, its working great.... was able to bump up my overclock from 3.7 to 4.0 ghz and also dropped the temperatures 20 C. I could probably try for more sometime.

What is the serial number/batch?

I had to return a H100 because the pump was making a rattling noise. So annoying. The 2nd one doesn't have this, but I hate having to deal with hardware hassle.

Well had to exchange my H80 one more time, but now it is behaving itself.

One huge problem, the included fans have a hellish whine when at full speed. Probably going to switch them to some medium speed YateLoons.

Yeah, my H100 started making rattling noises after 3 or 4 months now. Kind of annoyined. It doesn't make noise when the whole tower is tilt to the right though..

This water kit from XSPC: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_Hot_Item.html received a gold award from OverClock3D.com and at $129 its only a little more than the H100. Just to be fair the H100 also garnered a gold award from the same reviewer, seems Tiny Tom Logan got an H100 pump without the noise!;)

Replacement REV/Pump Updated
07-17-2011
Reviewer: Keiki646 (11)
NO, I haven''t contacted frozenCPU about my issue with my REV/PUMP but I directly contacted XSPC and they ask me to make a video and send them the video of the noisy PUMP sound. The next day they ask for my address and information and sent me a replacement from Hong Kong, China 2 day AIR mail to the US in Wisconsin. It was the fastest replacement service of all time from anyone ever. XSPC does get my 100% approved stamp for sure. That was the fast email response time within 24-48 hours and less than 5 days I have a new REV/PUMP. I even have a Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoTUST6uBU If you have issues with pump then don''t even bother contacted where you made the purchase. Contact XSPC directly

Last edited:
Do all you guys with noise problems have your heat exchanger/pump below your radiator? I have a CoolIt Eco installed in the top fan spot on my FT02 and it is as quiet as a mouse.

Wow, this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS09...xt=C374d751UDOEgsToPDskJnDd-zDx9RzKlDFTmVemDs pretty much sums up the entire issue. Fremont, we have a problem! I certainly hope the defective H100s really are just 1% of total sales, like the big man says.;) Still deciding what to do for an upcoming Ivy Bridge build. At least there is time before April, hopefully a fix will be in place by then...What can you say, poop happens even to companies with the best intentions. It can be difficult to control all operations in the supply line half a world away, Go Corsair!

Corsair 650D chassis
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) 1866Mhz memory WEI 7.8 out of 7.9
Corsair AX850 hybrid PSU
Corsair Voyager GT 16GB flashdrive
...all amazing!

Last edited:
Ive been lucky the i guess i have 3 h100 in my house all of them are running good so far knock on wood.

Mine (H100) works great, but my new H70 is making the noise right out of the box. It's a good thing I decided to test it for noise before I went through the hassle of installation.

Last edited:
i have been following this since it started.

when you get a replacement are you still getting bad replacement's?

because i just built a new gaming rig, but this zalman 9700 is not cutting it like i though it would. so i was looking at the H100.

but this has me wondering if i should send my zalman 9700 and get the H100 or go a different route.

also is it effecting the H80 as well?

I just installed two H100's in this system and I can't hear the pumps at all. The system is quite quiet overall as well.

h100.jpg

Now that is just [H]awt!

I have a perfectly working H80, I'm I nuts to want to upgrade to a H100? I don't mind RMAing, as long as I end up with a unit as perfectly silent as my H80 is in the end for no money cost to me. I am selling my 2500K CPU and H80 as a bundle now, So I can get an i7 Ivy Bridge and H100.

My noise issues on the H100 on just installed were fixed with the diode mod. Pump went from 2200rpm to 1960rpm and the grinding is gone. The corsair support forums document this, props to the guy that discovered it.

I recently purchased an H80 cooler. I have the pump noise issue.

Turn computer on its side, nearly silent. Upright, sounds like a hard drive grinding through a long install or something. While its upright every so often it will go silent for a few seconds.

I'm going to try tapping/moving the hoses and see if that helps.

Cooling pefromance is great, but that sound, ugh, just bothers me so much.

I just purchased a H80 from newegg last month, no noises and on the lowest setting my 2500k when at 4.8 ghz never hit into the 50's but i since clocked down because my mobo has problems with sleep mode at that speed.

I'm inclined to agree about the noise. I bought a H100 from the J&R B&M store . The first sounded real bad. Like everyone else, it was like a mechanical HD constantly seeking and it drove me crazy. I exchanged it for another one and while it was quieter, it still had that awful sound.

I exchanged it for a 3rd time and finally got a quiet one. If I didn't buy it at J&R, I would have been pretty pissed, shipping it back and forth until getting a quiet one. The swiftech MCP 355 I had a while ago never sounded anything like the first two H100's I got.

I wanted the benefits of watercooling without the maintenance but driving back and forth to exchange it really was a pain. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten a XSPC RS240 kit and deal with the maintenance.

Just finishing assembly of a system for a friend. Got the H80 on top of a 2500k and Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3. Got the pump noise/rattle and a bad fan. Damn I wish I had read this before I ordered it back at the end of Feb. Got it from the egg so I will see if I can still get an advanced replacement, sigh...

Anyone ever fit a Noctua NH-D14 to one of these boards? Thing is, on a tower system and with the thin pcb on this board I am loathe to go with such a heavy air cooler.

Well, PCBs are pretty tough, and you can always rig up a brace (either solid or string) for the heatsink to help take the weight off the board.

Back